Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can Someone Identify Where This *squeak* is Coming From?

• 01-02-2022 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭

I got my bike repaired about a week ago - brand new parts and it's been fantastic to ride ever since.

It still is, except one aspect I've noticed the last couple of days. When I push down on my pedal (it feels like the left pedal), I hear this awkward creaking noise. I've attached the video to see if anyone can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I tried spraying some lubricant around the area where I thought I was hearing it but it didn't seem to work.

I can only hear it whilst cycling. Stopping and twirling the pedals by hand doesn't do anything, so it's clearly weight-emphasised as well.

https://youtu.be/hrZyEZwE_yA

Comments

Sounds like the bottom bracket is not tightened

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was the bottom bracket replaced, do you know?

could it be the pedal itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had an identical issue till recently, sounded like I had a mouse in my bike somewhere. Only made the noise when I pedalled forward on the left pedal. Couldnt recreate it when I wasn't cycling. Was annoying me for a few months.

I bought some bike oil and lubricated all the moving parts on the pedals/crank. Didn't work straight away but after a day or two (perhaps when the oil had worked it's way into a few nooks?) the noise went away for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Did you check for play in the bottom bracket ? and check for chain rub anywhere ? to me sound like something scraping another part. ,and seem to only happen at 12 o clock / 6 o clock on revolution ?

i had annoying noise years ago tried everything , turned out to be shoe plate, but you have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Same squeek.Same place.

Bottom Bracket.

Pedal.

Seat.

My money is on the pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Paddy3

I had a similar issue except there was some racket been made. Kudos to a lad in 360 cycles in Clontarf, spent probably 2 days trying to isolate it and he did. It was s crack in pedal arm. Required a new crankset to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

The problem with identifying squeaks from a video is that, for the viewer, the sqeak appears to be coming from the speakers...

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ARX

Did you oil your knees? It sounds a bit like mine do

Sounds more like creak than squeek. Could even be the saddle if it was moved a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Aren't ye all a bunch of funny bastards.

I forgot I made this thread, actually. I sprayed some oil around the general area of the pedals again and the creak seemed to have went away. I must've missed it the first time. It's fine for now, but now I've another issue that's minor, but I might need to bring it back to have him look at it again. The right pedal is "clicking" when I push down, ever so slightly, but it's noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I had something similar coming for 4-5 months...checked BB, forks, bearings, chain etc.....guess what it was coming from dirty seat post ! a quick clean and it went away !

No it was definitely not the seat post or anything to do with the seat, at least I don't think it would make sense to be because everything I was feeling and hearing was coming from the pedal area. When it was creaking I "felt" the creak off the sole of my foot. Same with the new issue, it's clicking at my right foot when I push down. I don't see how the seat would be connected to the pedal.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I noticed a creak when pedaling recently myself. Had a similar issue on my other bike every time my right pedal went downwards it creaked.

Solution was to just check literally everything is greased and tightened correctly. Saddle, stem, handlebars etc. Greased everything I could. Pedals, seat post, wheel axles where the wheels meet the frame. Double check bolts on the cranks, pedals fit properly.

When it comes to a creak it's hard to find. If you're going to check one or two things you might as well just check everything otherwise there'll be a lot of back and forth. In the past one time it was the Garmin speed sensor on the rear wheel spoke hitting the sensor arm every so slightly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pedal with right foot only. Squeak still there?

pedal with left foot only. Squeak still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bwdbwd

Crankset bolts - tighten first .. if that fails remove cranks, take apart clean etc and re-install

Left foot was where it creaked.

I was thinking it might have been the crankset. It's slightly (like, really slight) wobbly. The guy who fixed my bike seemed to only fix the things I mentioned I wanted fixed (I needed new brake pads, chain and a tyre), but he did bring up the crank still being ever so slightly wobbly. I don't know if he implied I might want to go back and ask him to change it/fix it or to keep an eye on it.

I might go back to him when I get a chance. I want to stay as far away from fixing it myself because I'll only make it worse, knowing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

I had recent creaks on two different bikes, both cured by a very slight tightening of the seatpost. Probably my own fault for being over careful not to tighten them too much initially. I must try fibre grip

Post edited by 531 on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - the most disturbing part of your footage is the position of your feet on the pedals. The ball of your foot should be on the pedals - not the center of your foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Doesn't sound like a BB squeak at all. I'd put my money on saddle, seat post, or pedal.

It's an old cheaply-made bike, any use of it for another while yet and you're quids in.

Well I thought the same and was as confident as you are until it was fixed after cleaning the seat post ! I could actually swear it came from the paddles but bikes have this funny tendency of propagating squeaks through the frames. I used to push the pedal down standing and it used to squeak !

Anyways just clean it and give it a try if you are still not sorted. It will save you all the below things I did

1) Changed chain

2) Serviced the wheel hubs

3) Tightened the spokes

4) Serviced the BB

5) Tightened the chainrings

6) Cleaned the Quick releases

7) Removed and reinstalled the pedals

After spending 150 bucks, one fine day a new bike shop just cleaned the post and it was gone !

I'll put some attention to those things anyway. Creaking came back today so I'll have a closer look.

Considering I was holding my phone down deliberately to record the thing I doubt that was my natural posture lol

Also, I had no idea there was an incorrect foot position. I don't cycle seriously, I just use it to go to and from work.

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

If you cycle far enough that could be a problem for your feet but not alone that depending on the bike there's potential for your toes to clip the front tyre when turning which would not be good.

Well it's irrelevant to the focus of the topic which is the creaking sounds.

I've been cycling to and from work for 2 years and I haven't done any of what you've told me I'm risking doing.

As I said, I'm not a serious cyclist. I just use it for basic travel. I never bothered to look at cycling etiquette and feet positioning. My feet are fine

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GT85 or Lithium grease spray from Aldi and coat the pedals moving parts and threads in the stuff, leave for an hour. That is my first guess. After that it is taking off the crank bolts, greasing and retightening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is there any graunchiness in the pedal when you spin it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Had to google that, no find but the closest was graunchy:

An itchy mood experienced when you are simultaneously grumpy, horny, hungry and hungover.

I recommend if you ever feel like this is what is wrong with your pedals, it is time to either take a break from cycling or buy a new bike.

• Advertisement

I think I know the word from wheeler dealers.

Advertisement