Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chargers at tourist destinations and hotels

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Local councils get funding for 75% of the cost isn't it? None of them are applying for it though.

IMO, any pub grub/restaurant in the WAW should be putting in a 3 phase charger or 2. Any EV driving the route would gravitate towards there. Charge €5 to charge or free with a meal over X euro. Whatever suits them as a business, but I know where I'd be stopping if I needed to on a WAW drive.

Sure isn't everyone full of praise for the pub/restaurant on achill island with a charge point?

ESB certainly have no interest servicing the WAW sufficiently. Westport and Clifden... That'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Board failte hasn’t existed since 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Board failte 😉 showing my age !

I had this email from them last summer, I’ll follow up with them again

Dear Xx

Thank you for your query in relation to EV charging infrastructure along the Wild Atlantic Way. As you may be aware ESB ecars operates and is responsible for the public charging infrastructure network in Ireland. While Fáilte Ireland does not have a direct input in the provision of EV charging infrastructure, as the National Tourism Development Authority we actively engage with relevant stakeholders including Local Authorities, SEAI and other state bodies. We input to the development of many local authorities’ plans and Government level strategies ensuring they are aware of national developments and Fáilte Ireland’s experience brand programmes and priorities which includes the promotion and development of sustainable travel options for our visitors.

Furthermore, a key pillar of Fáilte Ireland’s strategy is to actively reduce the carbon footprint of the tourism sector. A dedicated work programme under this pillar has commenced which is focused on improving and increasing access to e-charging points. It should be noted that from a visitor perspective there are also options outside of the public charging network provided by ESB. A growing number of providers and charging infrastructure are available at locations such as tourist accommodation, service stations, retail outlets and at visitor attractions.

Best Regards,

There's a few places in surprised don't have chargers installed. Fota wildlife is one. Mizen head. Cliffs of moher. Big tourist hot spots where you'd typically drive a good distance to and spend a few hours at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,802 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm struggling to think of any major tourist spots that do have chargers installed

Dublin Zoo, none

Tayto park, none

Glendalough, none

Brittas bay, none

Howth summit, Ardgillan house, Newbridge house all have nothing

Unless something has changed in the past few months then there's really no charging facilities for tourists

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Some of those are rather isolated, but even a 7kW something would be nice. I've been to two Donegal "National Park" and each have two charge points

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,122 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the visitor centre at Ballycroy National Park (or whatever it's called now) in Mayo has chargers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Connemara National Park is the same as Ballycroy (1 Evbox dual charger, 2x7kW) where the staff have to start/stop the charge so can't be used outside of opening hours.

Portumna Castle had the same installed last summer, but they were never switched on. OPW staff there had no information about when or if they would become available.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We were at the Cliff's last year, and the guy checking us into the carpark was chatting to me about EV's etc... and I said the Cliff's carpark would be a great spot for loads of AC chargers and he said there were plans in place to install some, so we'll see where it goes.

I think all along the WAW they key would indeed be destination charging, but everywhere... in lamp posts in towns, in pub/restaurant/attraction carparks etc.... some of them are already on it.. I've been to the Armada hotel in Spanish Point twice, not staying, just stopping off to get some food from their seafood van, and both times I've plugged in and taken about €2-€3 of charge, while spending about €30 in their food van. (3 Tesla chargers 22kW, 2x Tesla only, 1x Any EV). I'd never have gone there were it not for the chargers.

If I was managing a hotel out that way, I'd be looking at getting a bank of at least 6 chargers installed.. 7kW would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

I've emailed some hotels around the country recently asking if they have EV charging facilities (as part of other queries relating to work travel), they all came back quickly saying no, but the closest ESB one is wherever - so they're obviously getting asked about it but for some reason it's not translating into actually installing any! I think it's a huge missed opportunity, I would certainly opt for the hotel with them over the ones without if there was a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

Was passing near the Cliff House Hotel, Ardmore, a few weeks ago. Needed a bit of lunch, so called them up to book. Asked them about car charging while eating, they said no problem 4 units were not being used. Asked what time would be arriving and stop at set down area at main entrance.

A Porter/Valet was waiting at door when I arrived, addressing me by name. Offered to park for me underground which I declined, preferring to see the charging setup my self. (I think 4 or 5 units). Hard to see because were spaced around a bit.

After just over an hour had loads (About 12kWh) to get home. Saved me stopping anywhere else to charge for the long day away. What a service, just a bit guilty that lunch was very good value and excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 64,697 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Never made out there for food, nice setting and the food is reputed to be the best in the wide area. Being able to charge sounds like a good excuse to go there for some grub 😁

Yes a great place, have stayed there a few times for special occasions etc. For the lunch special perhaps €10 more than the average pub lunch, but well worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

After just over an hour had loads (About 12kWh) to get home.

A 3ph charge point then.

I know every hotel would have 3ph but alot of them dont put in 3ph charge points.

Yes I asked the fella there who directed me to stall. He said he thought they were turned down to 11kW max. So not ideal for unkel, he would have to slum it a bit..😁

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Knightsbrook Hotel in Trim have two charge points and Boyne Hill House near Navan have just installed two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tony H

Re Cliff Hotel Ardmore

Great hotel ,really great staff and great food ,nice to know they have charging there as well .

Never thought to park and plug in myself, but the valet had no bother with my id4 last we were there. Checked on the app about 5 minutes later and it was charging away. Bravo to them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Castlecourt Hotel and Westport Plaza in Westport, Mayo have at least 4 chargers (they share the car park). Not sure the make, but are definitely destination chargers.

A handy base if you plan to stay around the area.

Advertisement