Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many days are you free from booze?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

On day 38 booze free. Didn't really have a problem with it so to speak, just want to break the cycle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭apache

Never really got the whole AA thing. I went to a few meetings in the early days but never stuck at it. Anxiety about groups is a problem too.

What is it about AA that has helped you?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Going to meetings is not an end in itself. The idea of going to meetings is to find a sponsor who'll guide you through the 12 step programme. Different meetings suit different people as well. Like everything else in life you need to "shop around" a bit to find a meeting that suits you. I had a great sponsor and going through the steps really helped me. Putting in the work deepens your commitment to staying sober. That's what I found.

1518 days and counting. :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

5,715 days, and just chipped in to say keep it up. If I can do it, etc...

Wish I could do something about my aging though. 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Great stuff all, just happened across this thread and wanted to say fair play, i found it a new life after it, and would encourage anyone with issues with drink to keep on the path as it really does pay off. 3765 days and counting myself and I don't regret one min of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

What sort of ages would you see in AA?

I'm mid 20's and need to stop, already have some damage done.

Liver damage? That's incredibly young to get it. 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

I've always been a heavy drinker but the last two years I went overboard with being stuck in the house.

Damage is done, no point complaining now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

1,184 days myself as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

16 months or 485 days tomorrow. I definitely feel the benefit of it, physically and cognitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pretty boy floyd

I hope you’ve been able to get some grip on it. The liver is very forgiving if you give it a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

5721 day and rarely if ever think about the stuff anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

All ages, all backgrounds you'd be suprised. Just listening to others experiences helps even if you don't feel like talking at first

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Annovella

4380 days not a single drop of alcohol and it's the most wonderful thing happened to me

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I don't know exactly but I think it was Jan 2018 so 1,672.

Just bought a house with my partner and child in one of the most sought after locations in the country, work going well and generally living a stress free life.

Priority now is family, health, fitness and sports. My life is totally different and most of my friends now wouldn't touch a drop as they are mad into sports. Long way from the takeaways, smoking and all night drinking sessions with my former mates.

Allen Cars book was my savior. Not sure how but a cheap book and 2 day read turned my life around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I must of joined around the same time as apache, I’m 10 years this December. Totally agree AA was imperative but I’ve continued different supports and found out recently I’ve ADHD so AA to me was a significant stepping stone to getting sober and understanding myself better.

As apache said, there is extremely different kind of AA meetings, some unfortunately are dominated by people who I never gravitated to and avoided, remember it is normal Joe soaps after all but there is also some wickedly wise people who have given me more then professional therapists over the years.

I think Part of the reason is because people , even if the crazy ones, can identify and empathise with what you are going through. Funnily enough there is one guy who is mad as a hatter (he enjoys playing to the crowd) in group meetings but one to one he’s actually very wise. But I’ve learned to be careful in the sense that there’s a fair few who share all this positive stuff and quote the big book (I Couldn’t quote one sentence!) who clearly don’t practice what they preach. That’s why having a strong sponcor (who will challange your bullsh*t) and honestly asking your spouse how you are doing really helps.

I have been to meetings where it’s relatively balanced , relatively crazy and relatively too rigid (religious and hardcore following the big book). I personally tried most of the things including going into mountjoy prison and doing talks in schools. I wanted to try as much as I could and do not regret it one bit.

I remember going to mount joy jail on New Year’s Eve to chair a meeting. There was only a skeleton Garda crew and we couldn’t find one to let us out for about half an hour, that had the blood flowing I can tell you.

Also one prisoner in particular shared some ruthlessly powerful stuff. He was the kind of guy where the look of him would have you crossing the street in fear. But how he shared was powerful and you can understand very much how he really is a victim of circumstances. He wasn’t “poor me” at all, but how he told his story was humbling.

Anyways , I’ve never been religious but as one member (now passed to age) used to say to me “if you have a problem , go around it”. Simple advice but I’d usually get stuck on something and struggle to move on , which made the 12 steps harder work then they needed to be.

On reflection, the best things about AA were meeting really wise , grounded people who I could share some of my most vulnerable feelings and stories to. You have to be careful of course , I shared less in meetings then I did with sponcors or people I trusted. I had a few sponcors , who were older men (prob ones I felt could be my father) who generally shared realitively Balanced messages that weren’t all “AA is everything” but as one put it “AA is here to support you so you can live a better life and be there for your family, AA us not meant to be your life”.

I think in some regards, like many things, AA is what you make of it. It can feel culty and as I’ve said I’ve been to meetings I did not enjoy , but more often then not most meetings offered me something if I opened my ears.

I don’t goto as many meetings as I used to but that’s just where I am at right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi which book by Allen Carr did you find helpful?

-1 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭byrne249

83 days, no particular reason for giving it up, hated the hangovers/anxiety that would last a week

Putting this in writing might solidify my resolve as I'd given it up a few times. Thanks!

310 days here, finally think I've kicked it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Why count days? Surely if you are counting days that means that you're still a prisoner to drink no matter how long you're off it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

There is no right or wrong answer here, some people count the days & some don’t.

At the start it can be a good motivation tool, a running count can often be used as a way of measuring the distance you are putting between yourself and your drinking. Once you’ve built up to a decent amount of days, losing a long-earned high number by resuming drinking puts a visible negative loss of the number of days resetting to zero against the temporary positive of enjoying a drink. We can often forget about the darker side of the effects of alcohol until it’s too late, putting a value on your sober days can be something we don’t want to lose.

But again, no right or wrong..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 JackDuckworth89

253 days

Only came across these topics on here, great to see.

Advertisement