Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France v Ireland Feb 12th. Stade de France newbie. Suggestions/tips?

• 07-02-2022 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi gang. Bought tickets last summer in the hope the covid restrictions would be gone and here we are. :D

Never been to Stade de France, any tips on best way to get there? Where to watch the Scot v Welsh game etc?

All help gratefully appreciated.

Jim

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Metro. "Le Galway" was a good spot. very drunk.

No pubs around the stadium like Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Pre-Covid they had stalls selling drink on the way up to the ground from train station anyways. We had a nice feed of pints in a spot called Courtepaille which does show the matches before the 4.45 KO. Wasn't too busy when we got there compared to the other options.

Despite claiming otherwise they don't serve actual beer in the stadium. It's generally non-alcoholic even if it's marked and sold as alcoholic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Metro Line 13 and get off at Saint-Denis Porte de Paris. About 15 minute walk from there to the ground IIRC.

I haven't used it but there's also RER from Châtelet to La Plaine Stade de France on line B or Gare de Nord to Stade de France Saint-Denis line D. Again 10 -15 minutes to the ground.

You won't see the Wales v Scotland game. There's nothing out by the ground. It's like an industrial or retail park out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

area around the ground is a kip , buy your metro tickets return before hand as ques after match are nuts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This. Leave immediately at full time (or a bit earlier if the result isn't close) if you want to get back into Paris at a reasonable time as the queues are ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

I haven't been to SdF but sometimes after a match it might be worth getting the metro in the opposite direction than the main crowd are heading, get off at the next stop and get the metro back to the city. That's provided there is a next stop and that if there is it's not miles away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Get your drink in before the game. The beer in the stadium is 'sans alcool'. Also, wrap up warm. It's been absolutely Baltic in the stadium when I've been there before. Bring a hip flask, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I think currently there will be no food or drink alcoholic or otherwise in the stadium.

I think that restriction is only being lifted later in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭blackwhite

There's a handful of bars/cafes along Ave. Jules Rimet. It's to your right if walking up from La Plaine RER station.

There is - or was anyway - a Novotel that you could see a sign for on the buildings that they are beside. Better atmosphere to be had in the city centre, but if you find yourself in St Denis a bit too early they are still an option

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Head out early is my advice. It's a decent trek from the city centre and a walk from any of the Metro or RER stations and you do not want to cut it fine.

There used to be an 'Irish pub' in St Denis, don't know if it's still there. Irishness was extremely dubious but it was a good place for a bit of atmosphere.

• Advertisement

The beer in the stadium isn't beer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

They won't even be selling tea in the stadium nothing. Get out early, 4 years ago we were early but they had massive security queues (think there was some alert level in Paris at the time). This time with checking covid passes etc. I'd say it'll be worse. We're going to head out early, trains were rammed last time. Its to be dry but very cold.

Advertisement