Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric bike reliability.

• 06-02-2022 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I'm currently trying to find a good electric bike and one thing I've no knowledge of is the quality of the motors and electrics

Giant seem to have a nice system with the ridedash evo , but loads of people say they give trouble :(

Bosch seem to be recommended by everyone

Are they all the same quality or is there more lemons with certain brands ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

18k km on my gen2 Bosch before it had to be rebuilt. Original battery is losing capacity now at 22k km. Needed a new battery loom which was 35euro. It has never stopped or stranded me despite it being hacked about and mile for mile has been a lot more reliable than the family car.

Big source of issues for any ebike is water ingress - never powerhose them and be careful with the hose - much like a normal bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what does rebuilding involve?

About £350 and sending it to a company in the UK called performance line bearings. They open the motor and replace everything as required - mostly bearings. Very good service actually and nice to deal with. I removed and refitted the motor which is easy if you're reasonably handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

There's a few bosch bikes that i like the look of,but Id say they have been in stock nearly a year.

Would it be right to think the battery may get lazy the longer it sits idle ?

I haven’t noticed. Mine sat idle for a year while I drove to work. No noticeable degradation when I came to my senses and got it back on the bike. I think constant charging cycles has more of an effect tbh. I can’t complain as I’ve always charged both at home and in work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're putting a battery into storage, apparently it's best to store it about half charged; it's better for the battery life than storing it full or empty.

Have a bike with a brose motor to try tomorrow , fingers crossed.

Im trying hard to try as much as i can , which is pretty hard when there isn't much around.

I have turned on bikes that are on display to see if they keep the bikes charged halfway, some shops have them at full and some empty , the good ones seem to be half full.

I won't let the battery bother me now though , if i like a bike Im just going to get it.

thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know nothing about them really but just bought a Riverside 500e from Decathlon and it seems pretty cool, wind and hills are not a problem, I wanted it for a new job and much longer commute. Pity they max out at 25km/h though, but I think they're all like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

In Majorca last year... climbing up Sa Calobra, I passed a lad on an E-bike. the battery had died and he still had about 2k top climb to get to the top! He was not happy!

• Advertisement

As if getting a bike wasn't hard enough at the moment

https://cyclingindustry.news/shimano-oem-parts-stolen-bike-maker/

Advertisement