Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar panels if close to airport

Options
  • 07-02-2022 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Have spent weeks researching solar panels and then yesterday came across something about not being allowed if on a flight path. We are close to Cork airport, about 3km as the crow flies. Saw 10km radium mentioned somewhere. Does this mean not allowed to put any up? If I ring, would they be able to advise or should I just apply for planning? Or park the whole idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Depends. I've no direct experience here on planning permission with respect to airports and solar panels.....although I do have pilots license (private). If you were right on the flight path to the runway and close to the airfield (like <1Km close) then it could potentially be a problem. I'm saying "could" at a MASSIVE stretch here. The sun would have to be hitting the panels at a certain time of the day, at a certain time of the year etc. .....

If you are 3km away and off the centerline of the runway - nahh can't see it, and as for that 10km. That's nonsense for sure. Everyone inside the circle below (including everyone in Cork metropolitan area) would be in breach of that then if they put up solar panels. Nonsense whoever said that.

No, unless you are living right next to the airport, you can rest easy. But don't take my word for it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

It is a potential issue but generally only when you're near an airport (or hospital with an emergency helicopter landing pad) and on the flight path. It would also need to be a big area of roof. Are you in the red area of this? https://www.dji.com/ie/flysafe/geo-map

What's usually more of an issue is the crane. I've had issues with tower cranes around hospitals for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

we're under the flight path into Dublin Airport. All the houses in the estate have solar panels. Airport is about 3km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Is the red the flight paths? No am outside that. So reckon be ok? Imagine paying 7k for panels and then being told to take them down and paying for that also. How can I be 100% sure. Would SEAI advise? Although they'd probably say have to apply for planning regardless and go by the book totally. I haven't seen any houses in area with panels, then again it's not the wealthiest part of the city so that wouldn't surprise me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm within 2km of Dublin airport and lots of houses here have solar panels. They're pointing at the airport as well so it's probably the point there'd be maximum glare

If you need planning permission for your panels then that's probably the point at which you'll hear any objections.

I noticed that most of the panels installed near me are the all black ones that don't reflect as much. Not sure if it's for aesthetics or a requirement this close to the airport

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There are solar panels all over Shannon. A 3 km circle from the end of the runway would cover 99% of Shannon.

Honestly lads. The whole thing is nonsense. Its like that 12m2 rule that "technically" is in the solar planning exemptions. I betcha every one of us has broken that rule. I've 24.5 sq meters up on my roof. Am I worried? Should I be?

No.

If you were (literally) right on the extension line of the runway within 1Km and can actually see the thing, I might pause for a few nanoseconds, but if your a few Km away, it's just not even on the radar (excuse the pun)

Move on Roy, move on! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

It's not SEAI's call.

Your issue will be whether your PV is permitted by the planning regulations.

Have a look at the exemption for PV. As far as I remember, there is nothing in it which disapplies the exemption in case of houses near airports. In which case, you could safely install up to the limits contained in the exemption.

If you exceeded the limit and were in an area close enough to an airport to cause unacceptable glint and glare risk you might be at greater risk of enforcement action.

What you may have come across is that the Department is looking at expanding the exemption for PV in areas far enough away from airports to carry acceptable glint and glare risk to pilots.

• Advertisement

I was about to mention that, it'll be hard for them to object to any of our little rooftop panels now

I get that if someone put a big solar far north of ten airport where it could reflect a load of glare into pilots eyes there might be a case against it. But Keeling's have a load of glasshouses around there anyway so it can't be much of a concern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

PV panels arent mirrors.... wouldn't worry about this (as a home owner and pilot)

😎

There's planning legislation going through the orachtas at present to deal with all this .I think it's in it's third stage..wait for it to conclude

Deal with it in what way? Hope it won't make things more restrictive than they already are

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Biggest one for me would be the 12 sq meter rule..that's about 6 panels allowed without planning.may as well put nothing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There are panels which are low-glare, suitable for airports, etc.

Yeah it's a bit pointless, but judging by the installations getting posted about here my guess is that it gets widely ignored.

Not sure many council officers would be willing to climb a ladder to make sure the gaps between the panels and roof edge

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gaps are SEAI rules

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

But that's just for public buildings, no help for private homes right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

No problem I live very near Cork airport and the airport police have not been down to me yet....what I did have to get was a permit from the Airport when I had a crane on site lifting my Ducon concrete slabs into place thought so bear that in mind.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

These guys look like they're within the 3KM limit

New Solar Farm Opened At Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Bellie1

Thanks for the reassurance. Is crane needed to put the panels on roof? Never considered the logistics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

No, I had scaffolding up for the house build so they were installed off this. The panels are very light anyway

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭puntypower

What are the guidelines for panels and edge of rooflines? Will be doing a self installation and not going seai route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No idea, but the SEAI rules of 20cm/50cm are not limiting I'd imagine

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you're flying into Luton airport there are whole solar farms on the final approach, I doubt very much there is an issue with glare. Lots of airports have waterbodies on approach that reflect sunlight as much as panels, pilots wear polarized sunglasses to minimise glare. I wouldn't worry about a few panels on a house.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The "issues near airports" thing looks to me like something someone in the department who knows nothing about solar panels has latched on to as an issue rather than anything logical or necessary to the legislation.

• Advertisement

It's the "12m2 issue".

We should close this thread. it's a legitimate question that has a right to be asked, but the answer is "ignore it", you have other things to worry about rather than glint of a solar panel. I speak that as a solar owner and a pilot.

Advertisement