Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kow Katcher

• 07-02-2022 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭

Well folks looking for opinions on the Kow Katcher as thinking of investing in one to aid with the dosing of cattle.

Basically are they any good or a waste of money.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Use it here, it’s great when dealing with difficult cows. Does take a knack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can someone remind me - isn't it done the right hand side of a cows throat that you dose them? I read somewhere about what side to dose - might have been in relation to boluses though.

Those dosing hooks look like a great job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭Sami23

Any more opinions please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve never used the Kow Katcher but do use the drenching gun with the hook which is the same principle.

I find it makes the job a lot easier, especially if you have a step along the side of the crush. You’re up over the animal then and have a lot more power over them. All dry stock here so no experience with cows and I don’t bolus so it would be just for a drench I’d use it. It would be used on everything from 100kg bucket reared calves to 650kg + continental’s.

The only downside I see with it is they will manage to spill a bit a lot of the time so I’d be setting it to about 10% more than the recommended dosage.

I know it’s not recommended to be over dosing but cattle are all weighed here so I’d say even giving them 10% extra it’s a as accurate as a lot of lads that would be just guessing the weights.

Advertisement