Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aggravated burglary in Sligo

• 06-02-2022 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2022/0206/1278115-sligo-burglary/

At what stage do we as a society choose to tackle crime such as this.

Over the years we have seen the vulnerable time and again targeted in viscous assaults and yet we still seem to not be appropriately dealing with the issue.

Its very easy for those of us here on boards in our 20's to 60's to think we are somehow invincible and could fight off an attack however we all will get old and less able to defend ourselves and will rely on living in a society that can protect us. Are we failing - I would say yes!

Its very easy to get wrapped up in an emotional response to incidents such as these however if we were to take logical and meaningful actions to counter such attacks would anyone have any suggestions.

I do feel investment in education now may garner significant results in 20 / 30 years, such as social awareness and social responsibility study. In addition we do need to resource Gardai with the actual ability to proactively target criminals through dedicated gang task forces and i suppose key to much of this is harsher sentencing for violent crime with particular focus on attacks on any vulnerable person/creature.

Am i just being too critical of our current standards or do we need to implement substantive change?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement