Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VIN stamp and VRT

• 02-02-2022 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

So I’ve moved here from Canada and brought my Toyota with me. Trying to register it but the guy at VRT couldn’t find the vin stamped into the car and refused. I’ve been back and forth with dealership at home and was told ‘Toyota isn’t in the export business’ so tough luck that you can’t find it. So what happens now? The vin is in the windshield and in a sticker but not good enough so I’m told.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you contacted Toyota in Canada to see if they will supply you with a letter stating these are the only locations the VIN is stamped on Canadian models?

Seems to be the places it's on Canadian Toyota's

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sfitz365

They won’t give me a letter. They said it is policy-whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭User1998

They need to see the VIN stamped on the chassis. It should be there somewhere. Have you tried Google? Or Canadian Toyota owners forums?

I’ve had Toyotas and the VIN was stamped under the driver or passenger seat, but I assume you checked these already?

Yes, I checked. It’s not there. I have cut the carpet to bits trying to find it. I have been asking on Canadian/American boards but no one seems to know. It’s stamped alright because they won’t give me a letter to say it isn’t. They won’t tell me where. I think they said it’s not part of the normal service or delivery process. Seriously. Lol. It’s like a big state secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭mayota

• Advertisement

Toyota Highlander 2021 XLE

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They sell the Highlander here now, maybe an Irish dealer could find out for you?

i am taking it into a Toyota Dealer today so fingers crossed.

M

Have you checked how much the annual motor tax will be? If it's not the hybrid model it could be substantial, €1250 or €2400, might scrape a €790.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Buffman

Get the VIN stamped on or do it yourself with a set of stamps/punches.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement

I think that’s the next step here!

I think that’s the next step here!

Yes. That’s going to be a problem because Toyota Canada has said they simply do not have emission info for the vehicle. I was told if I don’t get some info I will be charged at the highest bracket.

If only you had done some research before you shipped it over 🤣

Any research would have been irrelevant as the info/stamp that’s required simply doesn’t exist. But thanks for the comment.

Worst case scenario you could get someone to stamp a VIN number into the chassis.

Is there a department of transport type website in Canada that has emmisions data for vehicles? If you can’t get emmisions data you will be charged 40% VRT, plus an additional €600 for Nox charges, and you will be paying €2,400 a year in motor tax

I'm talking about the emmissions data. Thanks for your input.

PS @User1998 it's a transfer of residence.

Yes, so I was told. The service manager was trying to get the data from an engineer at corporate and was told they do not have that data. Incredible. But not surprising as it’s not data that is required for the North American market. I had data from the EPA regarding the testing of that make and model but VRT wouldn’t accept it.

So the maximum charge doesn’t really matter then, its just the high yearly motor tax that comes with it

That’s it. There is just no way to get emissions data from Toyota USA or Canada. No transparency at all.

• Advertisement
    M

The Toyota Klugar in Australia is their Highlander, current emissions for the 3.5 litre V6 is 208 g/km, I'd guess that's a very good ball park to what yours wil be. This would work out at €1250 a year motor tax.

ttps://www.toyota.com.au/kluger

Thanks for that. I figured it would be around that number. I’m happy enough with that-nothing I can do about it anyway!

Advertisement