Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car park damage

• 05-02-2022 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭

My son parked his car in Tesco today and some old lad and his missus parked beside him and she hammered the door of her car off his car and caused considerable damage, how are people this stupid? He was in the car at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

One word……… CLAIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭HBC08

Nothing winds me up more.

I park my car away from everybody else when possible but still have dents as a result of clowns in car parks

The parents car was destroyed (2 grand worth of damage) around Christmas. It was a big shopping centre car park and none of the retailers were willing to help or look at cctv except a very helpful chap in Harvey Norman.

We couldn't find anything conclusive on the cctv and I'm not even sure if we could use it if we did.

Could your son have taken a pic if their insurance and try to claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

No he left her off as it’s an old car that we put back on the road as he’ll be going to Canada in a few months. I would have made a bigger deal out of it though as you can’t damage other peoples property. The sickening part is that she barely acknowledged it and her husband was driving the car and never even got out to see the damage, the only satisfaction was that her car was new and she did more damage to her car..

If he didn't take any details (reg or insurance details) then he can whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

A lot of older people in particular will be blissfully unaware of the severity of the damage they have just caused in situations like this (a lot will choose to remain to be ignorant to it all too of course). That would very much annoy me though and I think I'd be looking for redress, even if it was already a rough and ready runaround.

• Advertisement

Shooting a bit off centre here.....but am I the only one that thinks spaces have got 'smaller' & car 'bigger' in last few years?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

If anything I would have thought that parking spaces have got bigger in new developments I've being on in the last few years (few as in last 2/3 years). Maybe prior to that up until then they were getting progressively smaller. But yes on the whole cars have certainly got wider over the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Is he going to claim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I think he should have photographed the damage and their insurance disk, even if he wasn't going to take it further. Might have put some manners on them. Some older people can be very ignorant and self entitled, and I say this as a senior myself.

Spaces are barely fit for purpose. Never park beside a two door car, a child car seat or a banger. Of course you can't decide who parks next to you. I try to find an end space and park up to the edge. It is funny how people will park beside your car in an empty car park.

People are just ignorant when opening doors. One should always hold the door so your hand protects the next car if the space is tight.

Sometimes it is necessary to pull out of the space to allow a passenger access.

Just don't bang against the next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I have noticed in a recently built Lidl surface car park, that they now have hatched 'buffer zones' on both sides of each car park space. I haven't measured them, but they at least give a suggestion that there is additional door opening space at each position.

It would be good to see if there is actually additional space... sometimes I have come back to the car and apart from additional dints bestowed upon it, there have been occasions where I would have to go off for a gym session and work towards my illusive ideal BMI in order to get back into the car. Breathe in.. squeeze sideways and squash my fingers between my opening door and theirs, to avoid dinting them, while I contort myself back into my car.

First world problem I know.... but every door dint on my car has been a secret surprise from a shopping center car park.

• Advertisement

Haha.....with my old workhorse (2012 xtrail) it doesn't bother me obviously.......but to go shopping with Mrs Mc Carthy in her 221 you just KNOW you'll end up walking 200m to & from where's deemed 'safe' parking space

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

The need to park alongside another car in a near empty car park annoys me too! Particularly when you go to the effort of parking far enough away from the entrance of the shopping centre so as to avoid someone parking right up next to you.

You would think people think their car gets lonely if it isn't next to another car!! I assume the people that do it aren't very confident or good at parking and need another car or cars to align their car into the spot.

I hit a parked car in a carpark the other day - misjudged the turn into a very tight (but only available) space while rushing to get to a doctor's appointment. Scuffed up their rear bumper.

I left my details on the car windscreen and with the security office and took a picture of the damage, and the car reg and insurance disk. I haven't heard anything from the owner, even though its been a couple of days.

Do I need to do anything else?

There's also a bit of a scuff on my car. Do I just get that fixed myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Cars have absolutely gotten bigger in recent years, especially wider. Car park spaces have generally remained the same as we’ve seen little enough new ones built in the past 12-15 years either. It’s very noticeable now. Even if everyone parks perfectly there’ll be precious little space either side. I try if at all possible to park far away from wherever I’m going away from other cars. Usually get some tit rocking up beside me despite this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭jmreire

There was a time when motor manufacturers placed a rubber / plastic " Waist Line" along the sides of cars, and this did prevent a lot of accidental damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Or the other situation... where you pull in to an awkward last free space because the cars on either side are not parked straight. You then end up squashed in at a funny angle, which then looks like you are not capable of parking straight when you come back and find that the other two cars are gone.. making it look like you threw your car into the now wide open space.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Fries my head. My car is old, but I still try to mind it. Pulled into an empty row of spaces, well away from the shop door in an Aldi carpark one day last week. A guy with a van parked right beside me, and so close that he would struggle to open the driver's door without hitting my car. Why? There was not one other car/ van in the row.

He could have picked any one of about twenty spaces. Not to mention the numerous empty spaces elsewhere. I moved away before he got a chance to start struggling out of his van. 🤔🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Agreed, A new bicycle lane has been added on Newbridge main street and as part of this work some parking spots were marked out again. Some of the nose to tail spots are too short for our car.

Haha. So true! You feel like you are Mr Bean getting back into the car.

• Advertisement

Yeah no matter what condition your car is in, you don't want new dents or scrapes. I would have been out of there like you but made a point of parking one space down if it was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think some idiots do this as they need another car to “line up” off to help them park. It’s the only explanation for it. Happens me too but I try to park very far away if I can from the place I’m going to and most rubbish Parker’s are lazy fcuks too so won’t want the walk!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I do the parking far away too, but still have come back more than once to a car or van practical glued onto mine. And invariably with lots of empty spaces around.

I was at Tesco, just after Christmas, very few people around, and had the passenger door open, while reaching into the car for my jacket or something. A guy was actually about to start waiting for me to close the door, to park beside me. This was in a ginormous car park with tons of empty spaces. I just took my time and he moved off reluctantly to park in one of the hundreds of other empty spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Ford have a nifty device like this that comes out of the door and protects the door edge when opened and hides back in when closed. I was amazed when I saw it first, so simple, why couldn't every single car have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Fair play for your honesty, Not many would go to the lengths you did. You could inform also inform your own insurance company.

If you have comprehensive insurance you could get your own car repaired that way, but it's probably not worth it.

There used to be " Door Protectors" you could buy....they were reflectorised pieces of plastic, that you pushed on to the door edges. They were shaped so that the gripped very well. Worked very well too.

You can still get those and can also get clear plastic strips that do the same thing. They don't look great though and won't protect against someone opening their door against your car if they don't have them. Those who have them are by their nature more likely not to do that in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tombateman

I guess thats 100% human fault! Therefore, I always make rounds before parking my car and if its really huge event or something similar, I would go by public transport. So far, it was really helpful. DA Shipping

Post edited by tombateman on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"The need to park alongside another car in a near empty car park annoys me too! Particularly when you go to the effort of parking far enough away from the entrance of the shopping centre so as to avoid someone parking right up next to you"

Probably the same people who use the urinal next to you when others are free...

Advertisement