Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID Positive

• 02-02-2022 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I had my first Covid 19 like symptoms last Monday week ( both children had tested positive the previous Tuesday and I had negative antigens every day after that) Did an antigen and was positive confirmed by PCR the following day. I’ve had my three doses of vaccine. Been isolating since but it’s now 10 days later and I’m still not feeling 100%. Nothing serious just generally weak and achey. My antigens are still showing positive.

I suppose I have two questions:

is it common for someone to still feel unwell after 10 days and still be showing positive on antigens?, and

am I likely to be infectious at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answers are yes and maybe.

I've seen a number of people report positive antigens even 12 days after their first.

Thing is that it can disappear as fast as it came on. You'll get a strong positive in the morning, a weak positive the next morning, and completely clear by that evening.

Whether you're infectious is up in the air, nobody really knows. Some studies suggest that you're only infectious for the first couple of days, but it seems to me that if you get back a positive antigen then it's still in your airways, so you must be infectious.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭deeks

I could be wrong on this but it’s my understanding that PCRs are more likely to show up positive for days / weeks after infection is gone?

Thanks. I’ll watch myself for the time being and hopefully things will right themselves in the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m two weeks after positive test and still feeling it but not too bad now. It can drag on. I wore a good mask over the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

I'm kind of same and triple vaxxed. Noticed symptoms over a week ago. Positive PCR on Fri and was hoping 7 days from onset of symptoms id be good to go. However still have some symptoms and positive antigens so had to cancel diary for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

We had this as well.

I and one of my adult sons tested positive, me 14 days and him 16 days after 1st positive antigen.

He was totally asymptomatic and wanted to get back to the gym.

I was coughing and still am.

The rest of our family all cleared it within 7 to 10 days.

Has no one had a bad cold or flu that they hadn’t fully recovered from 7 days from initial onset? It’s more unusual not to have some lingering effects

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

HSE told me that kids can go back to school, after 7 days once their symptoms are gone much improved and that they will likely still be positive on antigen tests after 7 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Friends GP told him he could go back to work 7 days after first symptom or positive test result with that day being day 0 so 8 days really as he was still testing positive though at the same time told him to just be extra careful with medical mask etc.

Apparently you could test positive a good bit after and symptoms can go on for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭raclle

Started having symptoms 5 days ago and tested positive day later. Still have that constant headache and brainfog feeling as well as no taste or smell. The thoughts of this lasting at least another 5 days 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

Tested negative on Friday, went out that night, woke up with a banging headache disproportional to the expected hangover headache, really strong dark test midday Saturday, and still dark now. Doing daily antigens, hopefully I clear it quick.

I was obviously infectious on Friday, two mates have it now. Feel bad but how was I to know!

Went for a PCR today, not meant to given my age but nothing stopped me, an there were nearly 2k appointments so I'm hardly clogging up the system. I just want that recovery cert tbh, once I recover anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

And there's talk of masks not lasting past Feb 28th? When you're infectious before showing symptoms. I think it's complete madness if they get rid of masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can I ask how it feels, worst flu or cold ever or just mildly cold feeling? My main fear would be the lungs shutting down.

For me I think circa mid 80's was the last time the cold/flu I had resulted in me not being able to properly smell or taste, I've so far managed to avoid Covid on a test basis, may have had it at some stage in the last 2.5 years but no symptoms or test to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

I feel fine like, triple jabbed so that's probably helping an awful, awful lot. I am also in my 20s, so I'm hardly in an at-risk group.

PCR came back positive anyway, recovery cert here I come!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭raclle

It effects everyone differently. I think Omicron is the least effective in relation to the lungs. Ive had bad flu's in the past but nothing compared to this. Really high temp, constant headaches, loss of taste/smell and brainfog. Still have it just over a week. I unfortunately passed it onto my mother who suffered vomiting, high temp and fatigue.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

For me, it was between a cold and the flu. I had the flu once about 15 years ago. I was hit harder than other members of my family for whom it was nothing more than a head cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

It wasn’t anything like either for me as I didn’t have much in way of respiratory symptoms. Achy legs, headache, tight chest, palpitations. Cough came later.

• Advertisement

What kind of response is this to something that is true? You're infectious before showing symptoms!!! Can't believe people don't understand this at this stage.

Once the mask requirements are ended you will still be perfectly free to wear a mask if you wish. Just don't get too upset if the majority of people don't

Yes people are infectious before showing symptoms. But the mask requirements will eventually be removed. At that point it will be up to individuals if they wish to wear a mask or not. If you still wish to wear one then by all means do

I asked you what kind of reply, your big man reply, telling someone to hide in a bunker because someone is infectious before showing symptoms?

It was a joke. My apologies if you were offended. But we can't hide away from Covid anymore. Its endemic. We must live with it. And if that means you feel safer wearing a mask then that's completely your choice which you are free to make

In my experience at the moment my kids have brought it home from school .in one classroom half were out with positive covid ...classroom still open

Other daughter caught it on a school bus after getting a text warning us about possible close contact tested one daughter with shop bought antigen and she tested positive .did two more with hse antigen kit and they tested negative.isolated her and brought her for pcr test which tested positive...go figure.

Advertisement