Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunder and Lightening???

• 22-10-2003 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Anyone else enjoying the thunder and lightening or is it just me??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah, it was great up until my 20 minute walk to work this morning!

last time it rained like this some bloke had to build a big boat and put loads of animals in it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its been going on all night for me. Coudlnt hear my alarm this morning cos the rain/sleet and thunder was so loud. I can still hear it in DCU now too...

... sounds like a battle.

"Whats a battle"
    "No, he said 'Whats that rattle?'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I think we're getting all the rain we didn't get during the summer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Dont forget http://www.irishwan.org/lightning/screenshot.png so you can see where it is. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

We even had sleet and hailstones down my way and then big clashes of thunder and lightening - excellent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

snow on cars coming from west/north of dublin. there goes another flash n rumble.

little sleep, bloody loud at 4/5 this morn, sounded like it was sledgehammers/kodo drums next door or the like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

funny, I slept right through.

the wonders of double glazing eh!

liked the map of the strikes (thanks for that bkehoe), 6 a minute sounds like a lot, but I guess we don't see nearly all of them from one location.

• Yeah we got it here too in Wicklow, woke me up around 4 or 5.
    T'was like a bombing raid and is going to be hanging around the East Coast!

If you have a look here

The yellow dots on that map represent recent lightning strikes in the Irish sea from what appears to be a mass of connected storms.
    They appear to be heading straight for Dublin, Louth Meath and Wicklow.

So stand by for more action :D

Brendan also has a lightning dector set up which he has linke to above, but the map seems to be missing off it.

mm

• Ah i see Brendans map is up again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was kept awake all night night by the bloody storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Originally posted by Man
    Yeah we got it here too in Wicklow, woke me up around 4 or 5.
    T'was like a bombing raid and is going to be hanging around the East Coast!

If you have a look here

The yellow dots on that map represent recent lightning strikes in the Irish sea from what appears to be a mass of connected storms.
    They appear to be heading straight for Dublin, Louth Meath and Wicklow.

So stand by for more action :D

Brendan also has a lightning dector set up which he has linke to above, but the map seems to be missing off it.

mm

Looks like a comet or a meteorite (spelling) shower heading for us lol :D, I laugh about it now but I hope it is just lightining lmao :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Wrong thread but feel I must report the weather here today :D

Bloody cold but no rain and very few clouds in the sky.

Enjoy the weather display up there lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I had a lightning/dog barking combination last night. Lightning...dog barks....thunder.....dog goes mental......wakes me up, I shout at dog...dog hears that I'm awake and gets brave...starts barking at the thunder more....all feckin night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Our South Wicka Mod has been hit by lightning, and is off the air.

The phone blew off his wall, leaving it on the floor, and a nice black stain on the wall. The phone still works, remarkably! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I had to come to work on my motorbike this morning. Fecken snowing on the m50 too! I was frozen :(

• Yikes!! That was scary,the phone blew off the wall,there was a slap of fire from the back of the pc, an Explosion of thunder and a fork of lightning all at the same time:eek:

My monitor suffered so I'm now on a tiny one, you'd nearly want binoculars to view it :D
    But luckilly,the pc is fine except for one burned network card.
    And I've given the wall a wipe!

The thunder has came back on and off since, as is the case for most of yez on the East Coast anyhow.

/ note to self, switch off everything in future in storms and definitely plug out the phone!

mm

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Omg... wow. Thats kinda cool (since noone got hurt!)

Can anyone explain why the fnck we've just had about 24 hours of on and off lightning and thunder here in Dublin?!

As an aside... last year in Boston I was on the top floor (14th!) of a small skyscraper during a freak lightning storm.... to give you an idea I counted more then 100 strikes per *minute* at one stage. I sat and watched it roll directly over the city (and my *head* it felt like!) and out into the Boston bay.

It was one of the most amazing spectacles I've seen mother nature put on and (for a VERY brief moment LOL!) I stood with my arms in the air on the rooftop patio as it rained like I thought it only rained in Mayo!

I have to say I love lightning and thunder!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Sea is quite warm for this time of year..ye gget a quick blast of unstable cold air- and bobs your uncle..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by DeVore
    I have to say I love lightning and thunder!

DeV.

Can you see it out now? It's worse than earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's still going on and off at DCU- I'm not looking forward to the walk home!

It's weird having it going all the time. Was also weird leaving for work in the rain this morning, and coming home in the evening to find snow on some cars and on the grass (Lucan).

I was in Dubrovnik, Croatia, last year, and there were thunderstorms for two days straight. One night we sat on the balcony, looking out at the bay, as lightning struck the east coast of Italy. Fantastic. The next day we went on a boat trip, only for the thunderstorms to sweep in over the bay in about 10 minutes, lightning striking all around us, then about 2 hours later, they were gone. Bad weather gone, winds gone, lightning gone. It was great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This is similar to the weather that we had last November, that caused the Tolka to overflow and the Blanchardtown bypass to be flooded.

Similar in that this weather has been with us for almost two days now, the thunder has been sitting over Dublin since yesterday morning, but not nearly the same amount of rainfall as last November.

Still, its freaky! Flashes and claps a-go-go here in Clontarf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lightning strikes over europe here

Damn Zeus is still angry with a hangover :):)

(Flood report :) - River Road at junction with Ratoath road is a lake thanks to too much construction and heavy rain!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ando

its pretty quite now, is it over?

yesturday evening around 5pm I was on Pierse St driving home, it was really weird looking up and seeing really dark black clouds. You could see everyone on the streets looking up, and then I saw a fork lighting.. Excellent :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Just listening to the radio there fm104, Chris barry (or whoever it is was) had some people on saying how afraid they were of the thunder and lightening.

I was running out the door but this is what I caught of it:

Chris asks this bloke ' so what part is it that you don't like? the thunder or the lightening?' Your man replies 'the lightening', Chris says ' what are you afraid of getting hit by it? ' and your man replies ' no just the sound of it and all '.

Wouldn't like to see these people somewhere hot like in Italy where the glass nearly shatters from the thunder. A bolt of lightening split one of our tall trees over there that fell on our roof once!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by jd
    Sea is quite warm for this time of year..ye gget a quick blast of unstable cold air- and bobs your uncle..
    That's it in a nutshell.

Awful cold air over a relatively warm sea and it just starts convecting up and up and gets unstable and thundery.

The amount of time the fecking stuff lasted was really surprising. Though it was more lots and lots of thunderstorms one after another than a big one just going on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

2am last night frightened the living daylights outta me as the house shook from a few rumbles of thunder.

Last 2 nights i have been woken up constantly, looking forward tonight to some uninterrupted beauty sleep :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

Worra load a krrrapp..

Was nearly flung outa my cot with the freakin blasts...not funny at all....the hound threw a wobbly and pebble dashed the stairs......Mrs T wouldn't go near an electrical appliance for hours and old Bill had to
    ring Ntl, Eircom and all those mothers for hours on end to get back on the air.Blew the freakinn phone out so it did..Dont like em ..

• Just had a thunderstom here in South wicklow.
    Lots of lightning and noisy thunder and very heavy rain.
    It's gone off to the south now, but there was a panic here to turn off the pc given what the storms last week did :eek: