Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I buy a PHEV?

• 01-02-2022 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

sorry to scare ya :)

was looking at a petrol 1.2 Peugeot 3008 gt line €43k on the rd

but then they have a plug in hybrid €45k on the rd , allure spec , 225bhp , automatic

i commute from finglas to swords everyday so 30km round commute , i'm wondering is plug in hybrid the way to go as i could use it in electric mode most days and not use the fuel thus saving money and making more economical sense , currently spending €2500 a year on diesel , would a plug in be more viable and sensible than owning a petrol or diesel ??

sidenote : the Hyundai Tuscon plug in hybrid looks amazing , has a nice big console in the middle , but yet the 1.6 diesel doesnt , so even that is moving towards a tuscon executive plus plug in hybrid

thoughts please

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Forget the plug in hybrids, plenty of full electric options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What does that 30km a day cost you in fuel? Assume maybe 8l of petrol /100km, and maybe 230 work days of the year - Call it 7k km. So about €1000 on petrol a year to drive to work and back in a 1.2 petrol.

The PHEV has 13.2kWh of battery storage, and lets just assume you use 60% that on your 30km drive (you shouldn't). So that's 8kWh you need to charge every day, or €1.60 a day on a 20c/kWh electricity rate (but i'd probably recommend getting a night rate, it should save you a few hundred a year). €368 a year (half that if you had a night rate, but day rate will go up slightly, and there's €50 extra standing charge). On a night rate €200 a year wouldn't be far wrong after adding in the extra standing charge.

So... €800 saved a year by going PHEV and only using the car to drive to work and back. Save more if you use more electric vs petrol on weekends or evenings. €1000 saved a year seems very easily done.

I don't see any 1.2 petrol GT Line for €43k though. Their 1.2 petrol is €34k or €36k for the automatic.

The Allure spec PHEV is €37k.

Either way, i'd compare the automatic (€36k) to the PHEV price, which is €1k, BUT it is a spec below the GT Line.

Sounds like you need to do more homework on the cars themselves. Specs and prices, then compare them both. As far as savings go, you'll save about €1000 a year going PHEV from my math. A tiny bit more saved on Tax. And you get €600 grant to install a home charger - While the grant still exists. IMO, anyone doing a <50km commute and looking to change car would be foolish to not go at least PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i'm a big guy at 6"2 and 17 stone

be like an elephant cycling a bike :)

i do like the look of the 208 very sporty

but what fuel type should i be going for ???

where are you getting €34k or €36k ???

3008 active 1.2 is €36k ( bog standard )

3008 allure 1.2 is €39k

3008 GT Line 1.2 is €42

these dont include metalic paint or delivery either

re the driving , i drive a 132 VW GTD (184 hp ) and use €50 a week and drive approx 350-400km a week

i assumed i could use the plug in hybrid to drive the 60km range on electric mode everyday , by charging it every night , therefore not really using the fuel element of it , so saving a big chunk of that €50 on a weekly basis

• Advertisement

https://media.peugeot.ie/file/55/8/new-peugeot-3008-suv-spec-sheet.pdf?lcdv16=1PP8SYTCRKU0A0B0\

Just noticed it's a Dec2020 brocure. Crazy price increases if that's the case (though the facelift is nicer)! €42k for a 3008 is crazy money IMO.

VW ID.3 Tour 5 would be the same money as the PHEV Peugeot. Better spec, up to 550km range on full electric, and cheap as chips to run. 350-400km a week is prime EV market.

thinking Tuscon plug in hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

One owner is not happy with his as per thread,

If there is little or no difference between the petrol and phev in price get the phev,

You seem to only get 13 km a liter from your present car, I don't know if a heavy foot, idling in traffic or what, idling will not bother any battery type car, heavy foot will, but your commute is short so its possible to put the foot down and get 0- 60 in 6 seconds and do 30 km on battery.

Charges 10 kWh in 1,45 hours, I am guessing at least 6 kW charger.

Personally I would not buy a French car,

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

It would want to be to fit her in it, the billboard I saw the woman appeared to be 7 foot tall, cannot find it now.

I would swear she could reach the pedals from the back seat.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ID4 or an Ioniq 5 would surely be options too at that budget/range/size requirements if you are open to a full EV over the PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭eagerv

Saw that picture before, always made me smile. Why do WW want to make the car appear so small? Is it to appeal to young ladies as an ideal city car?

I am about average height for a male and have difficulty washing the centre of the roof, she looks as though she could clean the windows on the other side..😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,816 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I remember seeing a review of the ID.4 from a guy who's over 2 metres tall. He said the car had plenty of room and the seats were comfortable. He even managed to fit into the backseat conformably when the front seat was set for a tall. Might be one to consider as I think they can be got for similar price as the 3008 now

One benefit of the full electric is you'll be able to quickly accelerate to get past the cyclists and tractors on the Naul road easily

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Nothing wrong with PHEV. I’ll wait for full EV when we have a proper network of chargers in the 32 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Phev was a stop gap measure to placate regulations. I.e. the manufacturer doing just enough to make compliant cars without getting rid of the very profitable combustion engine. It can work for some but it's not a neat solution and if rolled out worldwide tomorrow wouldn't make the dent on missions we need or want.

I would wait and go full elec.

thanks for the replies

the way i see it , i use €50 a week and get about 350km out of it

but if i got a plug in hybrid id use the electric 60km range daily and rarely use the fuel so in theory saving alot , cheaper tax also

i drive from finglas to swords and back thats it really , odd time ashbourne thrown in the mix

looking at the Tuscon 4wd Executive plus Phev , test drove it this eve and its a amazing compared to my dirt box 9 year old diesel

I have a PHEV and my brother a full EV, he has to think out everywhere he goes and at times has borrowed my car, travelling to the North. I would not recommend an EV until we get a proper charger network in the 32 counties.

I have a 330e M Sport pro. PHEV 2021, great car.

how do you find the savings against 100 % diesel or petrol

notice a weekly saving if so how much ?

• Advertisement

I had an Audi Diesel before exchanging it for the PHEV, it has halved my fuel bills, PHEV suits me as there are so few chargers around my area and I live close to a large town.

I like to drive all around the island and I don’t want to have to worry about whether the EV chargers will be out of order, in use or non existent. I’ll buy a full EV when we have the proper infrastructure in place.

Same as me

i might be pulling the trigger on sat

It’s the Tuscan Executive that you’re looking at?

You never mentioned you drove around the country a lot. If that's the case, sure phev might be safer. If you do only 100 or so km max a day there's any number of EVs that would do that a save you a lot more than half your fuel bill.

If you do as you say and only drive 60 odd km a day and never to far beyond that, a phev is a waste. You're carrying around an engine you don't use (not great), and having to service it for the next owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

Me and my family ( 6’2 husband, 5yo twins) took our Id.3 tour to centerparcs last weekend which is a 2.5 hour trip. We left with 100% got there with 65% battery. Parked up for weekend. And drove home with 20% battery or 90 km still left in it when we got home. I have used a public charger once out of curiosity in six months. It’s a very roomy car and we find it brilliant. The range exceeds our needs to be honest but nice to have it.

yeah i looked at it , just looks cheap inside and basic , if im spending that sort of money im looking to like the interior aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

We have a PHEV 3008 GT line in the family and you wont get near the 60km quoted range. In this weather we have seen it as low as 28km but typically it hovers around the 30-32km range on a full charge. It can be a little annoying having to plug it in every day. Also the standard car only has 3.5KW internal charger, so if you want to charge at home or on the road at 7KW you will need to add it as an optional extra (at least this was the case 6 months ago).

It's not too heavy on fuel when on the engine only, around 7.5l/100km. There is some peace of mind in that you are not worrying about where your next charge is coming from, but if we were to buy again we would have went for full EV.

i don't drive around the country

i do about 60km a day if that , i'm not bothered about the servicing as on a pcp plan that will have to be done as standard

i'm looking at it from a fuel cost perspective , at the min i spend about €2500-3000 a year on diesel

if i use the ev part of this i nearly cut out the cost of fuel and only pay the night rate of esb

i'm trying to justify spending extra €3k from 1.6 diesel model to the phev

• Advertisement

7.5 litre to 100km seems high

petrol about €1.75 per litre

im usually spending €50 a week so by that rational

€50 = 28.57 litres divide that by 7.5 and its 3.80 km so about 380km , im doing 400km on that in a 184 gtd

Advertisement