Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Football League Discussion

• 29-01-2022 9:58pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Don't see any discussion thread for the league yet.

Earlier wins for Derry in division 2 over Down and Limerick over Longford in Division 3.

Armagh 9 up at half time and have been mostly comfortable during the second half, though a glimpse of hope for Dublin with a goal a while back. Uncharacteristically atrocious shooting by Dublin with 13 wides so far, particularly by Fenton.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fantastic win for Armagh, fully deserved.

Fast long direct balls into the forwards while attacking while stacking the defence for defending. Worked very well for them.

Dublin were poor and will not look forward to travelling to Kerry next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Big result for London in division 4, beating Carlow in Dr. Cullen Park. More impressive given that it's their first competitive game in nearly two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

You’d think the camera man at Donegal-Mayo game would be told to clean the rain off the bloody camera. Can’t see the game on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's awful you'd think they'd know to set up on the other side.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm not a TV OB engineer or anything but I don't think it's that simple.

Where are you going to mount a camera on top of that stand ?

Of all the games and highlights I've seen from Sligo I've never seen the camera face anything other than the stand, so I'm sure there is a valid reason for that.

They showed a shot of the main camera at HT, it was up on a platform and very exposed.

That's just the reality of the weather and the infrastructure at the vast majority of GAA grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It was a pity about the camera position and the problems with the weather, but considering the lead they had and being a player up, Donegal should have closed that game out. Good draw for Mayo.

Kerry let a bit of a lead go aswell at the end, good result for Kildare.

Kerry v Dublin should be good next week.

Cork lose by 2 goals, poor again from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭threeball

The GAA continously give lip service to the league. The pitches in general aren't up to winter football or hurling. Zero camera facilities. And now on top of that it starts in almost February and ends in March.

So the most competitive competition is over before it even gets going. We really need to go to 3 divisions, invest in infrastructure and give the competition the respect it deserves.

The championship should go back to straight knockout to free up the space and probably only teams that finish the league in division one or two should be allowed play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking like another league that Dublin won't be winning but the results the past weekend were a little freakish giving the amount of draws

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Re camera facilities, I can remember seeing games on TV where the camera is drenched at so many county grounds, weirdly, they never seem to set up in the stand at a lot of places like Castlebar, Salthill, Killarney, Wexford and Tullamore off the top of my head. Must be a nightmare for the cameramen but it makes a game damn near impossible to watch when a gale is blowing half of the Atlantic in on top of you at a place like Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭threeball

Can't set up in the stand in most GAA stadiums as there's big stupid pillars in the way to obscure the view of the pitch. They invest nothing in customer experience either those that pay at the gate or those watching on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

That's a fair point, the ones in Castlebar in particular are very annoying considering the stand is relatively new.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

When's the last time Dublin were 13 points down in ANY game.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 potters ground

Possibly/probably against kerry in 2009 .. 17 points that day

• Registered Users Posts: 31 potters ground

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dubs for Div2??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Early days yet. They are way off where they need to be though.

These first 2 games can sometimes throw up strange and suspect results, with teams at different places with fitness etc. There is a break now, and then 2 consecutive games, we'll get a more real picture of where teams are after those 2 games.

Kerry got a run of scores in the second quarter, but Dublin had a few goal chances (good save, disallowed goal and a 2v1 butchered) that could have had a big bearing on the game, as well as the Black card which had a big bearing on the result.

There does seem to be something missing though, the players on the squad don't appear to be at the same level as before, and the coaching team is still very unproven. Be interesting to see if they can turn it around. They do have a bye in Leinster to get things right though, they can ease into the last 16 while working on things

Another decent result for Clare, and by all reports they left a point behind against Cork this evening.

A steady D2 team, deserve real credit for operating consistently at this level for several years in a dual/divided county. Second best team in Münster?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes they are, but its not some sort of big achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

cork are huge into their tradition and that , they can really raise their game against the really big teams even when they are not going well , clare dont , clare play well and lose to the mayo's kerry's ect cork are still the best team in munster to challenge kerry in my opinion

tonight was probably a fair result when cork have mcguire and sherlock back from the bars they will start pulling up trees , we quietly argue in clare that this is our expected level of football anything else is a fail , people outside the county probably see us as weeker that

i would never see us as a divided county though , yeah we lose good footballers to hurling all the time it is expected , cleary fitzgearld malone and young shane meehan would be serious footballers all hurled tonight for clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont think so ,but somthing in the camp is not right for sure

• Advertisement

Apologies if my 'divided' description is misconstrued, it is by no means meant as an insult or a jibe, a dual County is probably a better description. The divided was meant more in a geographical term, with a lot of football concentrated in the west traditionally. Clare are a solid D2 outfit, have been for years was my point, and seldom get the credit. Seems like every year when the predictions are being made pundits tip them to go down, but they are usually comfortably midtable and looking at threatening the top 2 more that the bottom 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Armagh looking very very good again this week

Hilarity at the end, one straight red for Armagh, and FOUR straight reds for Tyrone!! Never saw the likes of it - nothing too serious happened just the now customary handbags/wrestling. I've never seen a ref react like that, not saying he was wrong or anything, but wow 😅

Division 2 progressing nice for Roscommon at present. Looking like 2/3 from Galway, Derry and Ross will go up, unless there is another bolter from. The pack.

Post edited by theoneeyedman on

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

This morning I saw this fixture was down for today and thought: "Hmmm, red card or two in that one, I'll wager."

5 of them was something else, even for these two loving neighbours.

I think the ref just lost patience with the constant BS throughout the game. Every other passage of place seemed to end with a player on the ground and an opposing player getting carded. Tyrone lost the heads during the "short tumult"* and Gough went red card crazy.

There will be appeals.

*https://twitter.com/TyroneGAALive/status/1490349487088451584?s=20&t=6dSyz46_BvZZIB6Jbl6GLw

There will be appeals surely.

The GAA has an issue with this wrestling and body slamming though. That schemozzle was typical, 20 plus lads pulling and dragging other, and not a blow thrown. Players have sussed they can grab and throw opponents to the ground, but if they don't strike they probably won't get sent off and won't be suspended (today was an exception with the sending offs). GAA need to give clear direction that this wrestling will not be tolerated. As well as being unseemly, the throwing to the ground and head locking lads to the floor is dangerous, and IMHO should result in a red card. It adds nothing to the game surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Didn't spot one strike in that melee and yet he hands out 5 reds. Crazy stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Another win for London in Division 4, saw Sligo demolish Carlow, scoring 20 points in the second half with the aid of a strong wind, they played some nice football and seem to have turned a corner after a grim few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭Xander10

It is annoying that this is tolerated in GAA and yes if refs handed out red cards consistently in such cases it might bring a welcome end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Conor Meyler on a yellow and clothes lined a player a few minutes later and the referee lets him away with it.

Gough lost the plot completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭tanko

Exactly, the usual pathetic refereeing from Gough. He shouldn’t referee another game after that display. I’d be surprised if they all don’t get off on appeal.

Advertisement