Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway to Rossaveel

Options
  • 30-01-2022 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of cycling the R336 from Galway city to Rossaveel. Is the road very busy? Is it suitable for cycling in safety?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

There’s loads of cyclists on that stretch but really it’s a terrible road for cyclists . Heavy traffic and winding roads. I don’t see what they get from it , too dangerous . Very frustrating as a driver also .

Yeah it's difficult to cycle without getting a build-up of cars behind. No hard shoulder and limited safe overtaking opportunities so frustrated drivers sometimes squeeze past with risky overtakes. Not very enjoyable, it's a pity as it could be a lovely route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

What type of bike are you on, would personally cycle out the Rahoon Road from Galway City go via Bearna Golf Club -> Baile Ard(road between Moycullen to Spiddal) and the goto Spiddal from there. From Spiddal only option then is the R336 but avoiding the busiest stretch of the R336.

This is about 5km longer a bit more climbing but well worth it as the roads are pretty quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Wonder if a Gravel Bike would get you across country from the Wind Farm north of Barna - might have a look. Yeah I wouldn't fancy the cycle out from Barna but most people are used to people cycling that road and take it reasonably handy. I wouldn't have classified it as particularly windy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I drive it regularly, and there is always someone cycling in/out and with the state of the road, there is always a traffic buildup before them, and most motorist will patiently wait for an oppertunity to pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Big shout out to all drivers on R336 last weekend. A group of 6 cyclists travelled (slowly) from Galway to Rossaveal on Saturday and back on Sunday. With the exception of one "gobshite" in a silver Ford car on Saturday, all drivers were respectful of the recommended distances for cyclists. Thank you all very much!!!

I don’t know why you’re so excited you caused tail backs over a busy weekend for people . Course they didn’t run you over , but really some roads aren’t fit for this craic. The r336 is one of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think he was acknowledging the fantastic patience of the majority of road users on the R336. From your earlier post and the one above, you're not one of them.

im very cautious of cyclists , me being sick of being held up constantly doesn’t mean I’m a bad driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

For some with no car it's the only way to get to work. I'd hop up on path (though I know it's illegal, but only on a stretch with fields/no exits onto road) for a bit every now and again to free the tailback. It's shite that there isn't a cycle path but that's the way it is and the road isn't exclusive.

I’ve no issues with anyone using a bike as transport , but when you have groups of the Lycra brigade out every day from March to September it gets tedious . I work weekends so it’s adding 30 mins to my commute cause I need to give extra time to account for the hold ups. I really wish it was a better wider an safer road for all, but it’s not . There’s better routes to use bikes for leisure .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

You are held up for an entire half an hour by people on bikes on your commute? Seriously?

If I'm going to work on Saturday morning I'm often held up too but by cars. Many of those cars are taking adults and kids to sports and similar activities. Should I complain too about their journeys being unnecessary or is it different because they are in cars?

Drive it yourself . Saturday/ Sunday . Then come back to me

more cars on the road on weekends ya, none of which are travelling at 10km in vulnerable groups . It’s not the road for it, it would be great if it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Out of interest ArtyC, you don't drive a silver Ford, do you? 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The route badly needs a few passing points or mini cycle lanes of maybe 200 metres each where bikes could move in and let cars pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think it would be a great spot for a proper cycle lane: high existing demand, likely high unmet demand too, not many pedestrians - and most importantly, too long for walking to be a realistic alternative.

Ideally fully separate from the road (still mainly within sight), but at very least fully grade-separated.

no as I said I take care to give space to cyclists . I’d absolutely love if there was a cycle lane or more spaces to pass safely .

People can be frustrated with a situation without being a dick .

while it’s a holiday spot , we do live and commute from here. Ideally better infrastructure would be the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am finding an increase in slow drivers causing hold ups.

Ya better infrastructure for sure, if housing market here was not so crazy am sure more people would live closer to work rather than having such a commute.

• Advertisement

That's probably me.😉

Since I started cycling regularly for transport I also took a (related) decision to religiously comply with speed limits everywhere when I'm driving. And I also slow down even more when negotiating blind bends where there could be someone walking or on a bike in my path.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The ones I am stuck behind drive at 30 - 40 kmh irrespective of the road or the 80 limit. They probably think they are being safe & don't realise that they are breaking the law

It’s unbelievable how busy it’s gotten last few years , but every old shack back there is being snapped up because of prices nearer town .

this isn’t a cyclist v motorist argument I want to get into to be honest . I am mindful, I know all the blind bends / I’m on it enough. I really do wish I could recommend it for cycling but it’s not a good enough road for leisure cycling imo

I would not recommend it either ArtyC as a cycling route, but it does depend where one lives along the route. Same goes for it as a car commuting route.

Advertisement