Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ranch Fencing

Options
  • 31-01-2022 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭

Are the 150x75 posts advertised for ranch fencing decent? Was looking at some that a fella in Cork had for sale that were creosoted and there are a few who stock the Scan Poles equivalent. Usually I've seen square pale yellow posts but I've a preference for creosote, although the penetration of it can vary widely.

Was thinking of putting up a ranch fence with two rails of half round and looking at round and rectangular/square posts.

I've read on TFF that Scan Pole used to be a company called BBH and their quality is going down. I don't fancy putting in a fancy only to have to rip it out again in little time so I've also been looking at Hahn recycled posts, although the lack of use here in Ireland goes against them as I'd like to see them installed first before even considering them.

Catalogue 2022 (hahnplastics.com) - posts pg 52-53, rails pg 42.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Do you know what price the 6ft round stakes are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Yep, they look the job, i've a heap of boundary to fence this year and i'm sick to the bollocks putting down crap posts that rot at the base after 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

PDM creosote posts is all you need.

I'm getting them in frs since 2010 and haven't replaced one yet and it doesn't look like I will for a good while yet either.

• Advertisement

That's them now. UK prices from their retailer there - Zedlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

There is a Meath company making them. I tried a few and grand of soft ground but they fairly flex when ground is firm

The fella in Cork I was looking at was McNamara - do the import these or do they creosote the posts themselves?

I did notice quite a bit of colour variation in these ones though:

They use the 150x75 posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Relation of mine put these type around their house recently…

(don’t know if that crowd made em or some other place, but they have that timber effect)

They look pretty good I think, and concrete so no need to ever worry about rotting…

Not sure of price, but I can find out - although have a feeling you’re fairly far away from Cork Funkey?

• Advertisement

That looks good too. I presume they are reinforced concrete rails and posts? Do you know what height they are? If you could get me an estimate of cost that would be great - thanks.

I'd like to get some sort of fence on the field side (even if only some strands of barb) to keep the animals from rubbing against it.

Yip - long way from Cork, but nothing but tannalised rubbish here - although there is a fella in Fermanagh doing Scan Pole stuff. Plenty of time to do it so just seeing what is out there at the minute. Cost is the driving force though as I've over 70m to fence off.

Has anyone put in estate fencing and what would it be like for livestock?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I’ve put it in. IMO, there is not a more elegant fence. Much nicer than post and rail.

BUT, cattle would make an “s” out of it. I put a single strand of electric fence with clipex posts, as they are narrow and you don’t really notice them well spaced out, about 3 paces out from the estate fence. It keeps cattle away and sheep go under it and graze up to estate fence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Think Clare Engineering’s fence has a part for 2 rows of electric fence

That's what i was wondering. It is a nice looking fence - doesn't get better strength when installed in curves as opposed to straight lines? Where did you get them from?

The ones I was looking at had arms about 9" long to put on top of post to hold out an electric fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

Sorry for only getting back now. It’s made by CWD in uk. There are two brothers living in Castletown Geoghan that bring it in and erect it. I think the have similar way of installing the electric on it but the way I have the electric out from estate fence you can’t see it and all you really see is the elegant fence. Will put up pic tomorrow

Is that ardagh fencing? I had looked at their site. I like the look of it and having a fence that should last as long as I want it to, but it's ability to stand up to animals is the concern.

@Cattlepen - could you put or or PM me a pic of the fencing please? I've been hoking around to see what would suit and TBH nothing with the longevity is appearing to be suitable.

The concrete fencing that dinzee put up would be a grand job, but it doesn't appear to have the ability to put on some barb easily to prevent stock rubbing or lambs getting through.

Also been considering concrete posts and plastic boarding on property side. Ag fence on field side or runs of electric wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 rodderss

Get in there quick. Creosote fencing is gone by the end of April. We bought off them all over the years. They are all the same ups and downs , loughwood Tommy Williams bbh we stayed with frs pdm in the end. Somewhere to go with the odd bad post.

Not sure what to do now there's a new oil but I hear there's another one which is better but not passed yet. Must be decent if Brussels doesn't like it eh.

Is that the creocote (as opposed to creosote) you're talking about?

• Advertisement

No, real creosote fencing is banned from may. There an alternative, pdm are covering it for 15 years.

Uk guys have switched to creocote. Supposed to be as good but I don't fancy being a guinea pig for it.

It's only 70% rubbish. Totally stupid what's happening with creosote, it's removing a competitor from the market place , those left will be uping they're prices for a sub standard product.

Thanks - I'll just get d-rail and stain it myself.

Balcas do a 15 year warranty on tanalised. Not sure how they can stand over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I had to do a line of road fencing recently.. cut timber from my own woodland... dug holes .. filled with POST 10 .... concrete mix made by Kilsaran, sets in 10 minutes. It was about 500 Metres of fencing.

I wouldn't have thought that the warranty would have be worth anything. Wonder what are the clauses on the warranty!

Advertisement