Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pretty anxious again here!

Feels like Kittle hasn't been in the limelight much lately, hope that'll change today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Hoping the bye means Packers have a slow start

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

This is gonna be a long night (or a short one for me) if our D is that soft the rest of the game

Well, as loooong nights go, that one was okay!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So lucky to get out with a win, how important was that blocked FG before half time?

Defense was immense, completely shut them down after the first drive. Offensive was awful but that last drive was huge, getting into FG range. GB will be kicking themselves, they should have won that game to be honest.

Well, well, well.

Whatever way you cut it up, 3 road wins in a row against Rams, Cowboys and GreenBay...that's pretty excellent.

If I've learned anything from J Bell & OSi, it's defense wins championships!

Christ, I'm still buzzing after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah, still on that high.

It has been such a rollercoaster of a season but I absolutely love this team.

Shanahan and Lynch have done such a fantastic job of building a great culture - so much fight. With shipping Jimmy off they should be able to keep the core together for years.

Soooo, who do we actually want to win this Rams Bucs game?

I kinda want Bucs to win because the law of averages means the Rams have to, someday, not get slapped down by us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Brady v Jimmy would have been better for sure. But not to be. Tickets for Rams game are absolutely ridiculous, or I'd be over there in a flash...got until the end of today to find 3 tickets for 600 bucks a piece! Help turn Sofi red again, seeing as the Rams are trying their best to stop Niner people buying tickets after week 18!!

Tickets are trending towards $600 again at this stage for the nose bleeds after shooting up a crazy amount last night. Seems like there is plenty of supply so I'd hope they'd drop more as we get closer to the day

Lowest I’ve found & they didnt stay on Seat Geek site long was $659…that unfortunately includes $180 in fees per ticket…thats the real killer. If I was to do it I would have had to really pull the trigger last night due to needing a covid test before flying. Couch it is!!

PS: it’s much easier planning & going to playoffs when you have the no.1 seed & everything flows through Levis!!!!

But Sofi is going to be a sea of red even more so than week 18! Newbie Rams fans ain’t paying those prices for tickets…those $659 tickets were in the ceiling!

Getting nervous a day early here.

Gonna repeat what I said last week about Kittle, he'll be big tomorrow.

And also that, like the team I'm 100% behind my man Jimmy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looks like a few fans have made the trip:

Gonna be 65% near 70% red tonight! No doubt the faithful have showed up in LA & they know how to be loud when its needed! If ever a game for the Niners needs a bit extra help its this one...so close to call right now. Superbowl being the superbowl it's always a mixed bag & more a constant hum! This is the last proper game for proper fans.

Disappointing end to a great season.

The defense wasn't great at all last night and lucky not to have given up more points in the first half. The Rams were able to run the ball, control the clock and pick up 3rd downs at will.

Ambry Thomas got burned a number of times. It would be harsh to say the pass rush didn't show up but they weren't as dominant as they needed to be to force Stafford into mistakes and help out the secondary. Too often Stafford had time to make his throws.

Offensively this was a disaster. Shanahan's game plan wasn't great to begin with and he didn't make the necessary in game adjustments. The 49ers got nothing going on the ground and if we can't find a way to run the ball we can't win, simple as that.

Garoppolo is not going to turn into a great pocket passer all of a sudden so I wouldn't put much blame on him, he did as well as could be expected.

I will say that Shanahan doesn't ever call a great game with a lead. He gets too conservative. Last night we had 4th and from the LA 45 with 10 mins left. That should be an automatic go for it situation, pick that up and you almost certainly add points and bleed clock.

With the way the defense was playing especially he has to go for it there. On the next play Tartt drops an INT and from then the offense went to pieces completely. Not sure what the plan was on the last few possessions but it certainly didn't work.

While there is plenty of blame to go around I think Shanahan deserves a good chunk of it based on the offensive performance and not being able to kick on with a 10 point lead at the start of the 4th Quarter.

We've won as a team, and that was certainly a loss as a team. Not on Jimmy, not on Tartt, complete effort in failing to deliver when it was there. Yes the Rams ran the ball like we should have & we had no answer to Cupp, but they were there for the taking. It's very much like the Superbowl loss two years ago, when we had KC and the D just went to pieces & Jimmy/Shanahan couldn't do it when needed.

There was a few stupid penalties, the taunting was ridiculous...if you get called for that, please have taunted properly! 51 barely looked at him...don't know what the ref seen there. The Jimmie Ward one I totally understand as he said he was going to do this before the game...pay back for week 10 when OBJ bashed him after the INT. But it was at a crap time. But in general, like the other game, the refs let a lot go...like the delay of games.

Great season that showed almost nothing after that Colts loss. So to have got here is bloody good going. On the road since forever it seems and finishing something like 9-3 for the last run. I've said it before...getting this far isn't easy and doesn't happen every year. Sucks now, but looking back, it was a hell of a season. I can't remember the last Niners game that wasn't a nail biter & aside from last night, we've won nearly all them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭jonok28

The more I think about it, the more I'm really excited for next season. We have 3 potential 1000 yard receiving weapons in Kittle, Deebo and Aiyuk. Jennings is looking like the WR3 we have been looking for. Mitchell if he stays healthy is a 1000 yard rusher. If we bring Mostert back we would have a stacked RB room with Sermon and Hasty and or Wilson.

The Secondary and QB play for me is what lost us the game this year but to be fair your going against OBJ and Cooper Kupp so they were always going to get yards. They have addressed the QB position long term, now it is time to fix the secondary long term.

I think Emanuel Moseley, Ambry Thomas and Deomodoire Lenoir should all be coming off the bench next season and I don't mean that in a disrespectful way. We have seen with the 49ers D Line that rotation and keeping them fresh has been key to the 49ers dominating in the trenches. They should do the same with the Secondary. Have Moseley, Thomas and Lenoir off the bench and be really impactful quality depth pieces and spend some money in F.A and picks in the draft to build depth.

Go after JC Jackson and shut down one side of the field, go after another top corner in the 2nd round and find a slot/nickel corner to replace K'Waun. Find a SS in the 3rd round and build around these guys for years to come. Save the money you would pay Tartt and K'Waun for paying other guys when the time comes (Bosa and Deebo).

This 49ers team is really really close, you can feel it. Address the secondary, have Lance come in and live up to his potential and this team has a chance to come roaring back really quickly.

Gutted for the team in that loss but what a season. They showed incredible fight to get through the challenges and make it that far.

Went into more detail on the gameday thread but have to be confident heading into next year if Trey can even keep the same number of mistakes that Jimmy had and shows the added upside plays with his arm and movement. With Jimmy and Ford off the books they can make it to nearly $40m to spend, putting them in the top 10 with few big names needing to be re-signed. Any extension for Bosa and Deebo wouldn't greatly impact it either, as usually only new bonuses will hit the salary cap on top of what was baked into the cap already.

As noted already, secondary and OL should be the focus, while trying to keep that DL depth be re-signing some of those guys who are out of contract. Would also be interested in seeing if we could bring in one of the vet Edge guys on a reasonable deal to be across from Bosa.

On the staffing side things aren't looking too bad. Managed to keep Peters and Carthon in the front office. Huge news that Ryans is going to stay next year with the team. He definitely had issues at the start of the season but really fell into the groove as the year progressed. Being more sure of himself and having a better secondary should make that side of the ball extremely strong. It is however looking like McDaniel will be out the door to the Dolphins, which is not great but I am not concerned with Kyle there. I am sure they have the next guy ready to step up or else Kyle could pull someone like Klint Kubiak in as new OC (his brother is already with the team). Only fear would be if McDaniel took some key position coach like Kocurek. McDaniel going would also mean a 3rd rounder this year and next, which if we add a pick or two for Jimmy they have some ammo to fill the 1st rounders gone for Trey.

• Advertisement

The Jimmy era is unofficially over. He followed up Kyle & John in a presser last night, last of the season. While they said they're looking at all options, he came straight out of the gate pretty much saying that was it, reading between the lines. Although he basically said never say never when asked, he said his final goodbyes to the media and fans. He's always been more honest than Kyle with the media!

A Superbowl run and NFC Championship game in his two seasons where he played most of the games is a hell of a run, no matter what is said about him. In 2014 with Kap regressing, then 2015, 2016 and 8 games of 2017, it was dark being a Niners fan. Jimmy comes in, sits for a couple of weeks, then wins 5 straight. The guy got it done, never complained especially this year! Played through some injuries which he probably shouldn't have! He wasn't the same after the ACL though.

As a QB, never really wanted the spotlight too much, thats rare enough in the NFL these days. Things we won't see for a while is his mentoring of Trey Lance & how well that was done. He learned it from Brady, so I think he passed what he learned on. With Brady retiring yesterday, one thing that was said on Pat McAfee's show, was no teammate has ever said anything bad of Brady. Same can be said of Jimmy here with the Niners.

He could help the Niners out one more time by getting a decent pick for the trade, and I do think we'll get at least a 2nd rounder and maybe a 5th too. A year ago, you couldn't have given him away so along with a NFC championship run, the team should get a decent pick now.

The 'what if' regarding the knee injury will always stick with me. He hadn't started great that season but he never seemed to be the same since he returned.

He has been such a great pro - wish it had worked out with him but when we were in the position to upgrade with the draft we couldn't turn it down. Interested if he'll actually perform a bit better from a viewer perspective with some more freedom and being allowed to play up tempo more frequently wherever he lands.

Looking back on getting him for just a 2nd, it ended up being a steal - even more so if we can get similar in return this offseason. Will be hoping for success at his next stop and supporting him unless he is playing the 9ers.

After a couple of days digesting what was an absolutely sickening defeat, my stance now is that I love all of these guys and I can't wait to see what they do next season. I'm more sick that these particular guys didn't get to the superbowl, more than my team if that makes sense.

Will 100% be rooting for Jimmy wherever he ends up.

Anthony Lynn is a great hire, especially if McDaniel leaves. If he goes I'd be all for Lynn being running coordinator and bringing in Pep Hamilton for passing. He'll be highly sought after but coming up under Shanahan looks to be one of the best ways to get a HC job (just behind McVay).

Glad to see the back of Hightower from special teams - aside from the GB game they have been a complete disaster. Hopefully they can bring in someone with a good track record, not just a buddy of Kyle like Hightower was.

Yep like the Lynn hire. Knows the run game, and he came across as a good guy on Hard Knocks a while ago.

Gonna miss McDaniel's press conferences though!! Don't know how involved he actually was in terms of OC when Kyle does a lot of it, but clearly had influence there or he wouldn't get a HC job (same with O'Connell of Rams). The team has dealt with turnover of coaches before so no biggie I hope! Yep, need a good special teams guy now. Was the GB game the catalyst for Chicago taking Hightower, and will he take Gould back with him also?

I'd say Shanahan did Hightower a favour and told him to find another job or he was getting fired. As for why the Bears picked him up - I think you're right on the GB game blinding them, along with him being a former coach there.

Hoping McDaniel doesn't poach too many backroom staff. You'd have to presume the Dolphins are too attractive spot to go unless they are getting a serious bump up in title. Sounds like part of taking the job with the Dolphins was keeping most of the defense coaching in place, which should hopefully limit the bleed

San Francisco media starting to really ramp up when it comes to number 12 possibly making his 'comeback' to his childhood team! Some of the bigger national media too! So many pieces to even get that one to workout, not to mention the hardest, and probable reason why he 'retired', the wife! And here we thought the Niners offseason this year was just who we could keep from leaving in FA!

With both Niners & Brady usually quiet in terms of leaks (except the retirement!), I think if it happens, it will be right before it's announced. Right now I'd say it's a long long long shot, but then the only reason people started talking in the first place is the Never say never comment! Now other stuff is coming out. I'm 100% for it - provided its this coming season (a year off then a comeback doesn't work at his age). Let Trey sit another year, the kid is only 21. And this jersey, if it happens, will be the best selling jersey of 2022!

I wasn't very interested when it was an option last time because Brady looked pretty dire his last season with the Patriots and Jimmy was coming off a Super Bowl after coming back from a serious injury so looked set to establish himself. Things have changed now, Brady has showed he can still play well and, though I couldn't be more pro-Trey, I am 100% behind bringing in Brady, presuming it involved a reasonable cost in draft compensation and he doesn't ask for a huge salary - I don't want to risk losing Bosa or Deebo or the team to not have depth.

Seems like a case of 2+2=5 from the media but it makes all the sense in the world if Brady wants a comeback, especially with the stories that a rift with the Bucs coaching played a part in him retiring. Outside of him going home, he'll want to chase another ring and the 49ers are the warm weather team with the most Super Bowl ready roster and best coaching group that would be open to a QB change.

Fans should be keeping a look out for 49ers players in Ireland. Seems like Alex Mack is getting married today in Ireland and at minimum Kittle and Juice are attending and have been hanging around in Dublin.

• Advertisement

He got married in Limerick or Shannon I think! They picked a great weekend to come over...sunshine & warmish!!

Advertisement