Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Station Eleven (HBO Max)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The prophet shows up - and adult Kirsten distrusts and stabs him - but then follows him? 

I thought this was fairly well laid out tbh.

She can’t hurt him again because she doesn’t know what the kids will do this time if she does, and there are still several dozen landmines unaccounted for.

She goes with him because she has no other way to find the Museum - the viewer knows it's the airport but she doesn’t, and even if she did she likely wouldn't know how to find the airport itself. She knows something serious is happening because Sarah is almost blind and would not leave her glasses behind casually.

I have to confess I found Tim's stuff in the finale really moving. He's presented as a clueless gom, but ultimately he was decent guy and spent his last few hours alive trying to save some complete strangers to him, who'd never even realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah there could have been a whole episode about what happened on the plane and the turmoil that must have been going on following that call

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

Halfway through, I read the book so I remain interested but it's not amazing.

Kirsten keeps on reminding of Tom from Succession, very similar looking. So I'm waiting for Greg to appear at some stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Loved this show. Really interesting take on the end of the world. Happy as well it's one season and that's it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have to say I thought it was excellent and it all comes together very well in the end. The future scenes definitely aren't as captivating or compelling as the present/past, particularly earlier on, but as it starts to head to a conclusion it starts tying together in a satisfying way.

Great drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The folks who made Station Eleven are developing the author's two subsequent books for TV.

Neither are direct sequels/prequels to Station Eleven itself, but without spoiling too much, there are significant ties to it in both.

Glass Hotel -

... has a lot of stuff about the alternate lives and Sliding Doors moments, and it's mostly about a con man and his regrets, but S11's Miranda and Leon come into it and the Georgia Flu is referenced, revealing it's basically a version of Station Eleven's world where the virus didn't take hold, and these are the paths and regrets the characters have instead.

I would be surprised if they didn't use Danielle Deadwyler again, because she was amazing, but I think there's a strong chance of Himesh Patel and Miranda Lawler making at least poignant missed connection cameos too.

Sea of Tranquility -

...is scifi/time travel, but it features one character who is overtly the author's self examination, an author who is digesting the unexpected success of her pandemic novel and stuff like seeing tattoos of lines from it, and then making sense of the fact her book seems to have leaked into reality, while her story is being adapted for live action. So this would have an aspect of a book/show within a show that's about its predecessor book/show.

Post edited by jill_valentine on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I just finished this tonight, watched it over the space of a week, and I really liked it. I'm not sure how it would have played if I'd been watching weekly though, it does ask its audience to have a lot of trust in it at times, which is easier to do when you can watch the next episode immediately.

Just before I watched it I had been watching Snowpiercer, which is a drastically different end of the world show, and although I enjoyed it too, I did feel like this was a much more thoughtful and human story. Maybe that's why some people struggled to stick with it, it's focused on the small moments with the big stuff in the background, which isn't always the case with shows in this genre. But what even is the genre of this story? When the book came out it was maybe sci-fi? But now it's like ever so slightly left of current events.

I've been listening to the official podcast to go with the show, and I've only listened to 3 eps, but it's interesting to hear different people involved with the show talk about how much changed and developed even as they were shooting. There was a huge break between shooting the pilot and shooting the rest of the series because of our own pandemic. I'm interested to know if that changed the story a lot because I can't see anyone really wanting to tell a story so close to what we were all actually experiencing and have it be dark and depressing. Likewise, I'm not sure any creative types good at their jobs could make this show in the middle of a pandemic and not have the real experiences influence their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I'm predominantly a hard sci-fi reader, but I read Sea of tranquility last year - the reviews had intriguing metaphysical issues that science fiction tackles. When I finally got round to watching Station Eleven, I had forgotten it was written by E StJM until reminded by the end credits of episode one. Nearly finished the series now. "The Leftovers" vibes, as a fan, had me hooked - mesmerised, as the pieces fall into place. I'm not expecting a momentous ending - just a satisfying ending to a wonderfully immersive contemplation on how things are connected.

Advertisement