Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD - It was moved to AddressPal thread, because it was about AddressPal, as will this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Fair enough, just thought it might be helpful to people here, thought you had replied to it so it was okay and then was gone.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,474 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Just to show that the system can work without delay. I ordered this item online late night 17th, delivered 8.30 am 21st. I never used the company before. It has a CN22 declaration with IOSS Id number LT-IM4400001821, Company EORI number GB896390861000. In the HS Tariff no. & origin box is 85189000 (CHN). Only 8 digits. Price £22.49, Postage £7.62, Tax £6.92, total £37.03, I paid €46.25.

In normal times nobody should be surprised at this, and there are probably thousands of similar experiences which won't be reported here.

Destination Country - Ireland(Modify)

Origin Country - United Kingdom(UK Royal Mail):  44 1752387112    Go to official website

2022-01-21

06:32:00

Arrived at Delivery Office,DUNDALK DSU

2022-01-20

14:19:00

Item has left the overseas International Processing Centre,DUBLIN DELIVERY, Ireland

2022-01-20

10:15:00

Item Received,DUBLIN DELIVERY, Ireland

2022-01-19

01:41:13

Item Leaving the UK,LANGLEY HWDC

2022-01-19

01:19:52

Item Received by Royal Mail,LANGLEY HWDC

2022-01-18

19:28:00

Item received at,Gatwick MC

2022-01-18

15:08:53

Sender preparing item,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Delighted to see myself need to return to this thread after a few months. Are they still sending things back after payment? Got one of those slips about a book coming from UK (I buy lots of books from the UK, its also clearly labelled USED BOOK an the Post website).

Thought books were exempt, regardless of the fact that Amazon charge for the VAT at checkout. (its sold by Amazon).

Fun days ahead being ignored by the eComm email again.

Saw loads of tweets re books but still don't know why it's not been changed yet.

I haven't bought much I'm still sticking to couriers where possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭deezell

Had a Chinese made item in 4 days from amazon.uk, Anpost label on the box. It's odd that you can get stuff from amazon UK with free delivery, no duty and just the vat differential, while the same item on amazon.de will have a substantial delivery charge to Ireland. I have to assume it's to do with the warehouse it's sitting in, and the goods from UK being less than €150 including delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

It's getting ridiculous now. I'm waiting over two weeks now for a parcel from the UK, I've a sneaky feeling it was sent back. I've heard of at least one other person who had a parcel from the same company sent back just a few weeks ago. CN23 form, 10-digit TARIC codes, weight, country of origin, VAT paid through IOSS and everything else all done properly - still sent back. They're just messing with us at this stage.

I wonder if it's because after the scan, the data is not yet on their database here so they can't confirm the ioss has been paid. A bit like when you scan a vendor supplied tracking number and there's no record on the AnPost system because its not been scanned. Aren't they supposed to get advance data electronically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Stuff from Book Depository arrives with the customs info blacked out.

Wonder is it customs doing this?

Also I've had several parcels arrive which have no customs label on them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Same package that was sent back to Japan a few weeks ago was sent back again. Despite me getting the sender to add the TARIC codes which I had been recommened to use by An Post themselves.

• Advertisement

That's terrible. If I'm right about my parcel being sent back (no tracking, so I've no idea), then they pretty much send them back just for the laugh. Even when the sender does everything right, it's still a 50/50 chance. Delivery to Ireland from outside Europe is pretty much courier only now I think. 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

In the last couple of months I've been ordering stuff from China using a postnl option which gets routed through Netherlands or Luxembourg as the first European port of a call on the way to Ireland. Every package has been coming through has been fine since then. I used to always use the Ireland epacket option because it was quicker and costs the same as postnl. The Chinese retailer has told me every package being sent back just has vague message that something is wrong with the declaration, they can't figure out what it is. Ioss payments are made, correct taric codes, proper value declaration etc

I know someone who ordered 2 parcels, 1 arrived with taric only and another was sent back, 2 different sellers.

Sorry you had to deal with another return

I hadn't thought to check An Post, and it seems my parcel was sent back alright. It had identical customs information to two previous parcels I got from the same company in November and December 2021. This is making me really pretty annoyed. 😫

Going to have it sent by UPS. It'll cost nearly €20, but at least it'll actually get here.

Post edited by MrCouperin on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Postal Headache

Over a month ago I mailed a package from the USA to Ireland. Yesterday it turned up back at my mailbox with the dreaded "refused" pink stickers attached from An Post/Irish customs. No further explanation given. Thankfully I found this thread in a quest for answers and its comforting to discover I'm not the only one. USPS says it's not their fault and will not refund postage paid or reattempt delivery. Frustrating considering postage was NOT cheap but in fairness, they did their job. I'd appreciate any advice as to the following:

-Has anyone successfully obtained a refund from An Post? Please share your story.

-What email address or phone number should I contact to request a refund?

I'll be closely following the thread. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Your contract is with the USPS not anPost.

They attempted to deliver your items but failed as the correct addressing information was not included.

Any goods sent from outside the EU must include the relevant customs declarations.

anPost scan everything electronically so anything without proper documentation invariably gets sent back.

I don't know how much knowledge average USPS counter representative has about customs documentation for other countries.

How you would go about correctly documenting your goods will probably require a bit of searching.

AnPost have turned internationally accepted standards for the receipt of non EU post on it's head, by brutally implementing a new system out of sync with the rest of the EU, without a trial period and with no reversion to the tried and tested method for cases which are not compliant with the new and nor easily understood rules. The lack of feedback to sender or receiver is unprofessional in the extreme. It's like a game of twenty guesses. Here's your post back. Resend it if you dare with what you think is the correct data (but not what will get your packet delivered to the rest if the civilised world).

BTW, you state, "They attempted to deliver your items but failed as the correct addressing information was not included". How do you know?

I still can't get over how people are defending An Post on this. If I as the customer send a package with an incorrect/incomplete customs declaration, fair enough that's on me. But as you say An Post not telling the sender exactly what the problem was when they receive the return package is outrageously bad customer service and honestly something only a publicly funded company with a monopoly could get away with. I can't think of any comparable scenario in the private sector. Imagine paying for a service but you didn't complete a requirement for that service to be delivered, then they turn around and say there was a problem with your requirements but we're not going to tell you which one. Such a private sector company wouldn't be long doing business that way.

My theory is that An Post haven't implemented a proper system yet and/or don't want the hassle of dealing with contested returns(The customer can't contest a return if you don't tell them what the problem was exactly).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I have stopped using my supplier of twenty three years in the UK, I buy from Germany now and use DHL.

I've also stopped using An Post to send out packages and switched to Couriers instead, that's over a thousand Euros a year that An Post will lose from me.

It seems to me like this is an attack on non EU businesses.

UK businesses are well aware of whats happening and have reported it to their government and it wouldn't surprise me if there is some connection with Northern Ireland currently stopping customs checks coming in from Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

His contract is with USPS.

They accepted the goods.

It should be up the the USPS to ensure that any goods they accept for sending beyond the US have proper documentation.

No point blaming anPost here.

• Advertisement

Same goods with the same documentation will successfully arrive all over the world, including EU countries, perhaps with requests for duty, or vat, but they will arrive. An Post like the Mammy watching the military parade, and everyone is out of step, except her Johnny!

That's my point, okay they might mess you around on a delivery like any logistics company but at the bare minimum they will have a customer service department that will engage with you to try and resolve the issue. I contacted An Post through multiple channels and always got the same copy/paste response "incorrect/invalid declaration", conversation over.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Just ordered 2 Japanese Sega Saturn games from Japan, combined shipping, worth about €50. Nervous I wont get it now after reading this thread 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ignoramus of Loyola

And another two packages returned the sender. Absolutely fantastic, I love dealing with An Post's bullshit. The most frustrating issue really is the lack of any reason as to why they're returned. At this point you may as well flip a **** coin as to whether you'll even receive what you order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Are they being shipped via airmail or courier?

If it's the latter, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

According to the seller its "Economy International Shipping", so I'm guessing that's a no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

In the last couple of months, Japan Post had to put this notice up on their website - https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/use/ireland_en.html - presumably due to the sheer volume of returned packages from Ireland. It will depend on whether or not the Japanese sellers have followed these directions. And even then, nothing is guaranteed.

Another impact of this is that people are now using Amazon UK a lot more as their packages (particularly if you have Prime) get through without an issue. Plus they deal with the VAT differential in a very straightfoward manner. I buy lots of physical media from the UK and heretofore use a mix of independent online sellers and Amazon. But because of the issues with double VAT, rejected packages etc, I just use Amazon exclusively now. So the independents are losing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Postal Headache

This time last year packages mailed to Ireland arrived just fine. Suddenly now they're being returned to sender (without explanation) because some bureaucrat couldn't be arsed doing his job. If what you claim about the customs declaration not being filled out correctly is true, my phone number and email address were clearly marked on the form. It would have been cheaper for An Post/Irish customs to send me a quick email and bill me if necessary rather than go through the expense of returning the package half way across the world. It says a lot that Japan Post had to put up a special notice specifically about mailing to Ireland. Ireland is a joke, barely functioning country masquerading as a developed nation.

I'm willing to dedicate time to kicking up a storm over this. Contact to TDs, media, higher ups with An Post etc. So I'll repeat the questions - has anyone been successful in getting a refund from An Post over this nonsense? USPS have done their job. My beef is not with them.

Heres the joke. You're often unaware that your parcel is being returned, as AnPost tracking will say your parcel is being delivered. What they don't say is that they're referring to delivery to the senders address. I actually managed to get through to their customer service to ask where was my already delayed parcel when the tracking status finally changed to "your parcel has been delivered", but there was nothing in my postbox. Turns out it was at the return address, the international EU inbound centre in Germany. My supplier eventually received it back many months later, but wrote it off and fully refunded me when I contacted them when I learned it was on its way back. Others not so lucky. The thing that bothered me was DHL/Deutschespost received the packet from OZ, and forwarded it on the basis that it complied with EU postal entry requirements . AnPost had other ideas. They effectively rejected an internal EU delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

i had the misfortune of my elderly mother sending a hand knitted jumper and some confectionary from NZ , they even said at the post office that a lot of stuff was being returned . She wrote the taric codes on it and sent it in October , last month it arrived back with a pink sticker on it. After paying $150 it was returned to her. I think An Post is trying to reduce the amount of parcels that they have to deliver and their workload accordingly. If this keeps on its will drastically reduce the amount of parcels they have to deliver. If the couriers are moving into that market it probably suits them. I wonder if it is another move in the direction of privatisation?

Advertisement