Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is my Redemption Arc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hopefully the little one is feeling much better. Its a tough balancing act being a Dad isnt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Little guy is having no luck between one thing or another he has not managed to have a full week since he started in creche almost 7 weeks ago

Monday - 4.3 miles recovery

Tuesday - OFF

Wednesday - 7 miles progression (8.24, 7.56, 7.39, 7.21, 7.06, 6.54, 6.38)

Thursday - 7 miles easy incl 6x15 sec strides

Friday - 4.3 mile recovery

Was thankful of the recovery paced effort to start off the week as I was still catching up on the weekend between one thing and another. The one thing I have found is the two recovery days in this early stage of training has worked well for me in terms of taking mental pressure off myself. I know it is probably a bit unnecessary from a physical standpoint given that the training is light at the moment but it is proving crucial in terms of keeping me mentally fresh with the lack of sleep. I will gradually phase out one for an easy run but in terms of establishing routines it is definitely working well

Tuesday was foiled by the eldest taking a turn at waking in the evening after work and put spanner in the works in that regard. Need to carve out opportunity in the mornings to run if I am going to sustain consistency long term. Sleep patterns too erratic in evenings to rely on.

Wednesday and the two lads back in creche freeing up the morning and I took full advantage of it. These progression runs have been a good gauge of fitness for me over recent weeks. I tend to like them in base phase for this reason as they are not overly hard sessions (even by the end the effort remains within) and I tend to know I am fit enough to do proper sessions when I hit a certain level of paces at the right effort. I think next month will add a single session and complement it with these. A good barometer for me with these is If I can have a 90 second pace range finishing close to 6 min pace I know I am in decent aerobic nick so the aim will be to hopefully be hitting 9 miles by end of Feb at this level. Trying to do training right this time to get back and not gonna rush it

Friday was a bit of a weird one. Handy run and enjoyable however struck a bit of a cord as running along the canal seeing tributes to Aishling Murphy. This was followed up by coming across a plaque in tribute of one of my old training partners relations who was hit by a car as a kid. Had run by it a few times but seeing how long ago it was (she was a little younger than me but almost half my life ago)

Was considering dropping in a PR tomorrow in place of a session but given the announcement on the change of restrictions coming this weekend I think I might just play safe and avoid the madness for the sake of a weekend. Starting to feel like I am a little crazy because I am not seeing this lifting as a good thing given the current state of play in the country. Perhaps I am overthinking it but the data around the virus and current variant doesn't fill me with confidence in fact I am still very much of the opinion to avoid it at all cost as I do think it is something that is going to haunt our health system for decades to come in terms of chronic health of the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I've just had a conversation with a work colleague who was balking at the idea of restrictions lifting tomorrow so you are not alone. I have mixed feelings on it. I think from a mental health perspective it will help many who are suffering badly. Some serious illnesses that have gone untreated will start to rear their head unfortunately. I was a fan of keeping my distance long before covid so I'll be sad to see that go, can already see people not moving aside on paths etc, even the little throat clear that would send them diving isn't working any more 😀. Hopefully it all works out but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Interesting comments on the progression run, will keep that in mind to incorporate in a few months when the fitness improves.

I agree with the mental health aspect though I fear we are replacing short term for long term implications in that regard based on studies into the neurological implications of long covid etc. Not dismissing genuine mental anguish of many during all this just from my perspective environmental stressors are more controllable that physiological. I think fact that Long covid as well as the pressure health system is already under (nothing has changed there and this will only compound the issues)is just gonna lead to such a deterioration of relative health for many in society on a wide scale for a generation.

In terms of the progression it's a type of session I always found to come easy (as if working into the run helps) but for me it ticks alot of boxes - discipline (holding back each mile so you can accelerate for the next, patience, focus (changing pace each mile) and unknowingly tend to get a decent amount of time at near tempo efforts

Saturday - 1 easy 5 steady/tempo, 1 easy

(7.16, 7.16, 7.16, 7.17, 7.11)

Sunday OFF

Monday - 4 miles recovery (9.34 min pace)

Tuesday - OFF

Wednesday - 7 miles progression (8.09, 7.41, 7.24, 7.09, 6.55, 6.43, 6.27)

Thursday - 7 miles easy incl 6x15 sec strides

Bit of a mixed week. Overall session wise showed good progress. but two missed days which should have been done. A few things at home Sunday so run fell off the priorities and Tuesday was just sheer exhaustion falling asleep on the couch after dinner. It's not quite where I want to be right now but it is still going in the right direction as mentioned before I am not trying for perfect I am just trying for better right now and this month has been better than anything since atleast Oct 2020.

The Steady run was controlled. I was straining at the leash but remained as disciplined as possible and told myself I wouldn't go beyond 7.15s. Happy with how the effort felt and definitely shows strength is starting to come back. The litmus test however with these sort of runs isn't pace its how I hold up in the middle of a heavy training block

Monday's recovery run was a weird one. Effort - fine, pace, fine but for some reason just felt like I was running faster than I should have been for that pace. Put it down to sluggishness and the day off

Wednesday's progression was a windy one but I was raring to go. In truth probably pushed the boat a little on this one, tended to work into the wind to hit paces and when there was a let up I was cruising at faster paces than expected. Happy to see 6.27 for final mile, a sign of progress given my last 5k here was only 45 sec slower than an all out TT 5 weeks ago

Thursday and both lads back in creche finally (have only managed both in for 3 days this month due to 1 sickness and 2 separate close contacts (thankfully both managed to avoid it themselves) Meant I could get out early after dropping them off. The little lad in the past two days has done a 180 on the sleep routine going from waking up at around 11/12 and not going back till 3/4 to sleeping through till 5 am so I am on early starts but truth be told suit me better as I am not a late night person anymore (have no problem training late but post work if I don't get out as soon as the dinner is digested the couch has me)

Hoping from next week to slowly start introducing a bit more quality to the training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

Would you not just take a really, good long break from running/ training and make sure to be well rested so you can spend quality time with the family?

no pressure on going out for runs but only going if suits like for a parkrun or so? Sure you may loose fitness completely and gain a bit in weight but quality of life may improve?! And at some point it will get easier and sure you might be late 30s then but will still have plenty of time to run fast.

it’s probably the only advice I can offer to you when it comes to running which is enjoy those few precious years with the kids by being fully awake and fit and not falling on to the couch exhausted from life and still trying to fit in a run 🙂.

I know myself I tend to be quite an obsessive person. I tend to throw myself into things full on be the good,bad or indifferent. Running is a positive outlet for me and to be honest over the last two years I think without having that outlet it impacting on quality of life more than trying to fit it in. Politics became more of an obsession in absence of running and I can tell you that is not somewhere you wanna thread for positivity :p

Don't get me wrong family is always a priority, so much so that it tends to be the reason why running has been the first thing to fall off at any incidence I tend to run by in large after they are in bed or at creche etc. The tiredness usually comes from dealing with the nights with either waking up or being up first thing with them but meals, bedtimes etc I make sure I am there. Working from home has definitely increased that but again that in itself takes its toll (often times I have been managing work with the kids as well)

I think the thing that has changed for me with this comeback has been the fact that I have taken all the pressure off with times. Realistically i know I am 18 months at minimum away from getting to that sort of shape so I am happy with progress for progress sake which is coming easy enough currently simply from the low base. I know I won't be busting out 70+ mile weeks any time soon and I am okay with that

The other aspect of running is I want health and fitness to be very much part of the culture in the house. Don't wanna be a pushy parent but at the same time I want sport and exercise to not be an alien concept in the house if that makes sense.

🙂 looking forward to seeing your parkruns on strava then! And always…. Always avoid politics! It’s pointless!

Will definitely be racing as well just won't be holding out for PB's

Ha its a Zero sum game no one wins.

I get what you mean about running being a positive influence. In theory babacools advice makes sense. I just know if running was taken out of the equation id probably be a much worse dad and husband!

Plus we can't underestimate the need for time alone. When you have work and family making demands on you all the time I think it's important to have something for just you. Don't get me wrong I love my job and my family but running is the only time where nobody demands anything from me except myself.

• Advertisement

Just to make this clear, I didn’t suggest to fully stop but stop training. Still go out for a run but not with the intention of “I have to get a training run in”. It’s a different mindset. 🙂

other than that, I agree. My wife is happier when I go for a run, just not sure if that’s a good or bad thing 🤔😁. Think we are all in the same boat here.

My missus has slowly come around, used to get a few passive aggressive remarks around running being top priority long before kids, that changed to encouragement to get out and run over recent months. Too much of a good thing when I am around the house constantly :p

I got one of those comments once about running being priority til I pointed out that work never moves around, family stuff never moves around, the runs ALWAYS move around (early mornings, mid day, late at night). Priority things dont move....She agreed 😂

Well, I got those comments until I got the stress fracture. After that it was like “go for a run. You are unbearable when not running!” 😁

and since she now goes for runs too she understands the benefit of it. As long as family and especially the kids don’t suffer from it and see their dad. 😉

Same as. God help them if we ever decided to take up team sports :D Mind you I am sure the attitude will change back as training progresses, such is life haha.

Absenteeism is non existent so far after 3 years much to the detriment of my running (and my sleep haha)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I often tell my wife, 'This is what you signed up for' as I head out the door on a LR. Knowing of course that we got together, bought a house, got married and were two kids in before I started running 😁 I wouldn't like to post some of her replies...

I see a separate thread coming: how to avoid an angry partner and still go for a run!

TBF pretty sure I ended first date with my missus by stating "I gotta head off and get my run done" perhaps it's built up resentment since then 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

😱😱😱 that women deserves a medal!! I'd say to be fair she had no idea - you should have sent her a link to your log(s) to read before 2nd date 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Many years back - I was training for marathons, doing an MBA, 2 young kids, working ungodly hours and posting a lot on Boards - my wife was ok with the 1st few things - but I swear to God - if she came upstairs, I reckon she'd rather I was looking at p0rn rather than surfing Boards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just been catching up on this thread and I must disagree with the first comment - lots of people will see this story as inspirational! If you don’t mind the question - a 20min 5k with little recent training suggests a quare runner when you were training and the fact you can easily work out your running type paces indicates a well informed person. So what are some of the PB times from your running days?

I’m impressed by how soon you’ve got yourself into those progression runs and your last miles are at a good canter anyhow from where I’m standing. Looking forward to keeping an eye on this one and I hope Boards gives you some impetus to get you out running as part of a healthy you in 22!

Haha I think the fact we had met about 8 years previously on first go around (Must have made an impression in the Gaeltacht) bought me a lot of good grace 😂

Those were the days pre social media when talking to strangers on the internet made you a weirdo we were just ahead of the curve (or looking back in hindsight with twitter and FB these days perhaps they were right all along 🤣

Cheers S

yes certainly been around the block as an athlete and a coach with 20+ years running in terms of PBs they are attached below though 2018 was last time I was near that shape

in terms of the progressions they tend to be a session that comes to me fairly handy although with regards paces it’s important to point out that have only been running 30-40 miles a week and of them it’s only hard run of the week so Definitely running them fresh.

I know from experience in training that once get into full sessions etc will see paces drop back 10-20 sec or so just as the legs are more fatigued despite fitness improvement so I am very much taking paces with a pinch of salt though for now act as good barometer week to week as sign of improving fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Beast of a runner then!! 2018 isn’t that long ago after 6 weeks training I reckon you;ll be starting to get right back to it. You know your job anyhow so I’m sure you’ll do it in a way that keeps you healthy! I think this log will turn into quite a comeback story!

Cheers,

6 weeks in at this stage and definitely set down better habits. Keeping healthy is generally not a problem. My training tends to be cautious enough in terms of paces etc so generally tend to be low injury risk. The problem in the past has been simple getting the runs done and motivation, burning the candle at both ends with sleep being minimal tended to leave me in a bad place for simply getting out and getting running but the slow build up seems to be helping correct that.

Friday - 6.3 miles easy (8.13 min per mile)

Saturday - 7.4 miles incl 5 miles hilly tempo

Splits: 7.08, 7.06, 7.05, 7.00, 6.54

Sunday - 9 easy (8.27 min per mile)

Total Weekly Mileage 40.7

Friday felt pretty good although probably a little faster than intended. Headed down to the Canal and was tipping along when noticed 2 bikes matching my pace just behind me, after a while realizing they weren't passing decided to peel off for a about a min to let them head on. They stopped further up with what looked like fixing a chain though I could tell when passed them again that there was a bit of devilment as they proceeded to follow me again which got a bit unnerving. In the end they were just winding me up intentionally but given recent events not the most comfortable situation to be in.

Saturday and out on my lunch break from work as the kids were in the grandparents for the afternoon. Into Corkagh and decided to use a hilly loop just shy of 2k. Good rolling hills and a challenging one for a tempo. Effort was relatively high for this one bit a very good session all the same and happy with it. Last mile was downhill so the effort didn't change dramatically.

Sunday and just a box ticking long run felt pretty good for this one and happy to come away with longest run (first 70+ min) in god knows how long

Feb will see a small change to the training with adding a little bit of light turnover work to go with the tempos and hopefully build mileage consistently to 40-50 simply from a few less off days

Wait what?! So you did sabotage my training to hold me back so I wouldn’t beat all of those times except the Marathon one 🤪

Tried with the marathon to but you defied expectations there making me surplus to requirements having a coach who is slower than you 😂

January Review

January Targets

Mileage: 150 miles in January - 138.9 miles total

Days run: 27 - 24 days out of 31

Consecutive days run: 21 - Best running streak 11

All targets missed for January but not by a whole amount, take out the 2 days in hospital with the little lad and would have been pretty much on target so happy with how training has gone for now

Feb Targets

Mileage: 180 miles

Days Run 25

Consecutive streak 18

As mentioned a few tweaks to the training going forward. Still very base building focused but aim to put a good bit of tempo work and light turnover

General draft as per below (subject to change over the course of the block somewhat)

30% increase in mileage if my math isn’t too off with fewer days available to run. Somewhat of a jump 🤔.

And I like your 145sec hill reps 😂. Not 45, not 90 but 145! Massive hill that must be!

3*(4-3-2-1) 😍 my fav… miss that one. Best of luck with all of it!

• Advertisement

Small gains consistently add up, actually came across a great view on this recently

When you break it down down I ran 40 miles last week in order to hit that target I would simply need to average 45 so the equivalent of a mile a day (less even). Realistically though with a few less days off (hopefully) and the nature of the sessions creeping up a little I think this is actually a modest increase that doesn't actually require much in terms of a conscious increase.

Ha definitely a typo was hmming and hawing between 1 min reps and 45 sec, went with the latter (for now haha)

That Fartlek session is a great one and very versatile can be a good 10k session or in this case a good tempo workout just done with a bit of variation so that training not as monotonous and drawing like for like comparisons with sessions too often (wanting to validate improvement by "beating" a previous session

Advertisement