Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo - US Pace - Paramount+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ireland own Charlie Murphy is in it.

The rest of the cast announced Natascha McElhone as Dr. Catherine Halsey, Yerin Ha as Kwan Ha, Charlie Murphy as Makee, Shabana Azmi as Admiral Margaret Parangosky, and Bokeem Woodbine as Soren-066.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Past midnight by their twitter description:

December 9 from Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles at 4:30 PM PT / 7:30 PM ET / 12:30 AM GMT.

I assume if it's anything like other awards, the trailers won't be the first thing shown at 12:30 AM GMT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A first teaser appeared for this adaptation of the video game. Not a huge amount to go on, the voiceover was a bit trite but we got a look at the cast. No word yet if this will appear on Netflix or Prime internationally.

Have always thought the Master Chief design was a bit rubbish, just looking like a 'roided out dirt biker, but still. Will keep an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

looks cool, hopefully it's well-produced and not cheesy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those interested/curious, apparently this show won't be adhering to the "canon" of the games;

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I never played the games so can't comment on accuracy

Haven't played the game either. Not sure about the trailer. Looks like it could be an okay action show. Maybe they were holding back big battle scenes and space moments for the show itself. Maybe they are still in the works.

• Advertisement

It looks unremarkable, and a bit too hoo-rah for my blood. Haven't played the games either so have no attachment to the story or property overall. Already ranted about the cheapness of master chief's design but against a good piece of Mandalorian armour it really comes out second best in thlooks department.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks very 2 dimensional, with the usual trying to be all earnest and serious. Im guessing it will be dull, wouldnt be arsed unless everyone starts raving about it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

"Earnest" is the perfect descriptor for the tone the trailer is setting - and it's bloody terrible. Not that everything has to be Jokey McZinger, but the opposite end of the scale is this overwrought drama where jaws are clenched, everyone stares into the middle distance, and diction is gruffly whispered.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Cortana looks a bit uncanny valley, more like her va but just looks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

whats their demographic? is this kind of stuff even aimed at teenagers anymore?, we were hosting Attack on Titan last night for my son and his mates, now that's excitment for a show. They wont we watching or talking about this one.

You can tell looking at the trailer that it wont have any personality like BSG, Star Gate, or the Expanse for something more recent.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks good enough, and will give it a go anyway. Think it was a mistake to not use the games voice actor for Master Chief. Won't stop me from watching it or anything, but would have been a nice nod to its origins.

A decent enough start to the series that starts to set up the season ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

21 years Halo Fans have been waiting for this and I can firmly say that was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hmmm got a bit of an Asylum feel off the first episode - the CGI is pretty bad even by TV standards

Dialogue is very cringey as well

Will give it a few more episodes but coming across as a low budget show which is surprising, would have thought MS would have invested millions into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Disappointed in that.

Stuff felt off, uncanny valley for a plot if there's a term for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Could have been much, much worse, but still pretty rough going in the main

Some positives around the gore, the different perceptions of the Spartans from a rebel POV, even Schreiber's delivery and mannerisms weren't too bad etc

But hard to get beyond the cheap feel to it, and the hokey CG work which looked really poor at times, which for a pilot, is a little surprising. Not all terrible, in fact, it was interesting that they kept with the design of the Prophets for example.

Hard to say which way it'll go, but feels a 5 or 6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Now, I haven't seen it. Have minimal knowledge of Lore but know there is decent story to explore. But those effects that I've seen look pretty ropey.

So, for a Sci-Fi fan with no real dog in the fight (I don't care if Master Chief takes his helmet off or if they redesigned Cortana) is it up to scratch?. It looks... I don't know.... a bit cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Loved the actor that plays master chief in American god's, but yeah the CGI is ropey as hell, particularly the elites

I watched it earlier on a laptop and it didn't seem that ropey to me. Maybe some things are more suited to the small screen:-)

Would he make a good Wolverine? I've seen him linked with the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

He's too tall imo, Wolverine should be a bit of a short arse 🤣

1: I assume this all makes sense to the gamers 😁

I thought the space scenes and futurist tech stuff looked decent enough.

The practical effects on the first planet felt a bit cheap.

Story seemed like it was going somewhere so that's something.

It was wierd seeing Pablo Schreiber without him shouting DEAD WIFE! 😁 I started hearing him saying DEAD KWIFE in my head for a bit. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched episode one....it's errr fine I guess.

At times it looks ridiculously expensive and at other times not so much. The acting can be a bit of an issue as well...the kid was pretty shocking...as was the actress playing the admiral (it felt like they couldn't get shohreh aghdashloo or someone better).

On the plus side I am happy to watch more and see where it goes and Pablo Schreiber is excellent as usual.

Advertisement