Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are food prices rising?

• 15-09-2021 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

It's mentioned almost daily in the news - Have you noticed material increase in prices for groceries or for eating out/takeaways?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep, I think I've definitely noticed increases. I don't watch the price labels on groceries too closely, but it feels like my amount spent gets higher every month. In terms of take out, my local sandwich shop just put all their prices up by 10%, and a number of restaurants close to us have recently increased prices by 5-10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I haven't noticed groceries or ingredients costing more (perhaps this is just inattention) but takeaway food and low to mid priced dining prices have increased massively as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Eating out prices have definitely risen but much of that won't be ingredient cost related, but staff wages and covering for reduced turnover due to reduced space.

I've not noticed a groceries price rise yet but I've also not done a "big shop" for a month because we've been away, its possible I'll get a shock at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

€10 sandwiches hardly raise an eyebrow, now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big shop done. Nothing obviously up in price except one thing which has very seasonal pricing anyway - peppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah thats been my observation as well. Its not uncommon to see pizzas in restaurants/pubs for 16-18 euro now which is quite a rise. Other items like burgers asking a similar price. And as you say 10 euro seems like almost a default for sandwiches. Was in a Lebanese restaurant in a provincial town a few weeks back and almost every main course was 20 euro or over. It wasnt even that nice either, had to send the shish lamb skewers back as they were so dry and over cooked. First time Ive had to send food back in years but I wasnt paying an already over priced 20 euro for a couple of dry lamb skewers with bread and salad.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I haven't noticed individual items go up in price, but I did notice that our grocery bills exploded once the first lockdown started.

Trying to find interesting lunches that you can cook quickly but don't cost a fortune is difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I think it’s more about availability than pricing but I’m sure rises are on the way.

The price of fuel though. It’s up 25% in the last year but no one’s taking to the streets protesting. Disguised as carbon taxes, not a cent will be ring-fenced for the environment. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It is availability and the price these days. We buy certain things for years and every price increase is quite easy to spot. Also a lot of groceries started to suffer from shrinkflation where price is more less the same but for smaller size or less pieces.

What is more worrying is that it is only the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I cant say I have noticed individual prices but overall my grocery shopping is up. Id say 20 per week on last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My local butcher does 10 chicken breasts for 10 euro, thats now gone up to 12, its the first hike that caught my eye anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Definitely notice 10% on some products products - Skyr in Aldi was 1.99 now 2.19

Maybe it's a dairy issue though as I believe milk has increased across the board

yeah been noticing 20 cent price rises on a few things in Aldi, they never do them all at once but over the course of a few months several items Id buy have risen. The value from the Super 6 meats is long gone too, there used to be bargains but now its just stuff that is only slightly cheaper than it would be at normal prices. Annoyingly one thing I often buy (stewing beef) only shows up on it once every few months whereas before it was every few weeks.

Petrol/diesel is massively up but seems to have settled at 1.70-1.75 a litre for unleaded. I read somewhere it was 1.30ish in December 2020. The bad news is it is set to go back rising again soon, it might yet hit 2 euro a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Chicken in particular has risen in price due to the miniscule margins. So any increase along the supply chain will see a retail price increase.

In the meat industry feed has jumped, covid costs in factories are a cost and cost of processing has jumped due to energy cost increases.

All leads to 10%++ increases at retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

3 cans for €1.50 in Dealz are now 2 for €1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I used to like buying a tray of decent-sized chicken wings and spicing them up, did for two meals at low cost. For the past several months I can no longer buy quality wings, they are scrawny broken up things that are as tough as rubber when cooked, no way they will crisper up. So this is one item where quality has plummeted.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

yeah noticed that as it was what led me into Dealz the odd time apart from the toiletries. I think it went down in size as well from 330ml cans to 250ml cans so it was a double whammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

No size change. They used to bring the UK cans of coke, Fanta and sprite in but now source locally and they are the taller thinner cans - still 330ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Myself and my OH have have very different diets...

Hers is typical diet, with lots of processes foods, and cereals and grains...

Mine, meat, Dairy & vegetables...

I have noticed the price of her stuff has increased, mine has stayed the same for the most part...

Pet food has skyrocketed I have found...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Indo has a graphic today. Not sure how true it is as Milk has risen ~15%, Pasta ~10%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

They absolutely have and I've noticed this particularly in Aldi , I pretty much get the same items on a regular basis there and have seen increases ranging from €0.10 up to €0.30 cent on a range of items.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I’m with you on this, Aldi are a noticeable culprit in the last few weeks, from frozen fries to fresh soups, all up by 10-30cent

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

2 litres of own brand milk went from €1.49 to €1.69 across the board. It's so funny the price is exactly the same across the big 5 despite different packaging, creameries, advertising and distribution networks. If I wasnt living in such a 'well corporately policed' country I would call that a pure cartel, lol.

Basic burger buns 69c 79c. Frozen chips 1kg 69c 79c. Both a 14.5% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lidl

fillet steak was €5.79 now €5.99

Aldi

fresh soup

was €1.49 now €1.55

Skin on fries

was €1.59 now €1.99

butter

was €2.19 now €2.49

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Obviously the rising cost of living is across the board, it's not just groceries.

From my perspective, groceries are less of a problem than the challenge of higher fuel and heating costs. I don't know if everyone will agree with me on that, but my rationale is (1) Most workers, especially everyone outside the main cities, have to pay for fuel to get to work, and it's never been higher at the pumps. That cost, and the cost of heating homes, seems to have become more acutely expensive more quickly than groceries are rising (2) Those high costs are going to affect hauliers and our delivery infrastructure which is part of problems with supply chain costs rising. (3) Rising grocery costs are relative ... Not sure if this will go down well, but if you consider the cost of groceries in the late 90s and 00s, anecdotally I feel like they were more expensive then than now, perhaps due to there being less choice in the marketplace. Then the discounts and German supermarket chains came in, and we also had a period of protracted low inflation. Consumers had more choice than ever before, there were price wars, and what I'm suggesting is basically that we had a period where food has been quite cheap. Yes, prices are on the rise, but I don't think it's going to challenge most* households in the same way that fuel and heating costs will. The MUP doesn't help though.

In the long term I'm not sure how we won't look back at what the consumer enjoyed in retail of every kind over the last 20 years and not recognise that it was an era that couldn't last. Long-term I just don't see that climate change policies are going to continue to allow overseas manufacturing to flood the west with products of all kinds intended to be sold cheaply and replaced quickly. The cheap electronics, the cheap clothes, the out of season foods shipping halfway around the world ... If climate is the challenge people say it is, eventually policies will put a de facto end to this model. And that can only mean that there will be less choice, and what there will be will be more expensive. Hopefully it is 'worth it' in other ways.

*Accepting that there are some households who just don't have the disposable income to swallow any price increases anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've noticed increases on the regular things I'd buy. 3l of milk in Lidl went from €2 to €2.29.

Was running on fumes in the car so had to put some fuel in, blown away to see it was 182.9 in Carrigaline, Cork. Putting in €20 worth of fuel gave me a little over 10l of fuel. Absolutely insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I notice a lot of small increases seem to be the common when it comes to groceries. Just small enough that you wouldn't notice.

But some of them are big enough that they catch your eye. I noticed that Supervalu 1lt milk went from 75c to 85c in one go, but that was away back in late 2021, before all this inflation talk hit the headlines. That was an 11% rise overnight, much more than inflation.

And just this week I notice their in-store made Lemon Meringue went from €4.50 to €5, funnily enough another 11% rise.

Maybe their costs are rising, and so is product being supplied to them, but I'd say knowing Ireland some retailers are using this crisis to allow them to make a pile of price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,227 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Food price increases are only starting, the cost of inputs in agriculture are up significantly, Fertilizer treble in price, all oil based products up.

Inputs are up about 15% last year and rising still.

Increases will be feeding through for 18 month's

• Advertisement

In fairness, milk price has not risen to the consumer for years, possibly a decade. Same for bread, margarine, and other staples

Agree with Danzy on medium term price rises.

Advertisement