Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you getting your child 5-11 vaccinated? Why/why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I wonder does that mean "fully" vaccinated i.e. have received both doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

If you have a hard time getting it in the future, it means there is no need to get it in the future, its pretty pointless right now as well, but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The news said that less than 25% of the eligible cohort of 5-11 year olds (480k) have registered for the vaccine. A lot of vaccine hesitancy out there.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,207 ✭✭✭✭fits

What percentage of children have had covid in last month? 25% of my sons class have it right now. And those kids won’t be registered yet. That’s not hesitancy.

Fair point. I cannot see many of those recovered children opting for a vaccine when they become eligible again. Do you?

I think the long term guidance will be similar to the annual flu jab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

For those coming up on the 3 week mark, have you got appointment texts?

We were told to come back, same time/same place 3 weeks later but haven't got an official appointment yet.

It's not until Sunday so there's a bit of time yet, but I guess I'll just show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

I actually called hse today as our 3 weeks is up tomorrow, was told it's between 21-28 days so should wait for appointment in next few days.

I got our appointments for bang on the three weeks but I postponed cos we all had covid. Dunno if I’ll bother with second one now.

Sweden have decided not to vaccinate five to twelve year olds.

The benefits of the vaccine do not outweigh the risks.

I agree with this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭J6P

Can i ask which vaccination center?

We would be due back on saturday but no confirmation text. Just wondering whether to walk in or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

No, they won't be getting it as they don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

My 5yr old has it now aside from one evening (not even a full day!) of slight temp & sore head (she said) & a bit tired she's as right as rain. In normal times she wouldn't even have had a day off school. I only tested her because it's going through the class.

To make things worse am supposed to leave her older siblings off too even tough they vaccinated & negative?

Anyway I didn't get her vaccinated because they don't get sick & could still get it & pass it on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My one year old has it. I asked her what are her symptoms and she said she has a bit of a hemiplegic migraine and that she is awfully nasally congested. I said right so and had to look the words up. She then proceeded to ask if I was mentally challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AsTheQuoFlies

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You may agree with the decision, but Sweden has not stated that "the benefits of the vaccine do not outweigh the risks". That's your opinion.

The quote from the announcement press conference that's been widely reported is:

The vaccines are safe, there are very good vaccines but we are now focusing on the medical benefits of the individual child and we don’t see that the benefits are great enough for us to recommend for the whole group.

Additionally, they have decided against vaccination of all 5-12 year olds, but are recommending vaccination of children in that age group who have higher risk from COVID.

The pertinent point is there is no benefit to a healthy child taking a covid vaccine so the risk of taking that vaccine outweighs the benefit.

Obviously in view of the mildness of Omicron and the limited effectiveness of the existing vaccines to protect against it Sweden is reviewing its advice for parents.

we usually copy what other countries do so expect a change in policy here soon.

I will probably get an anti vaxx warning for posting that, par for the course here😀😀😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Medically at least. The benefit is that a vaccinated child can still go about their business if one of their siblings gets covid. An unvaccinated child might need to isolate for 14 days

A child can be higher risk and also be healthy.

• Advertisement

Fair point but a 'recovered' child can also go about their business if they are a close contact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any child can go about their business if they are just a close contact but you are correct that if the child has had covid since Dec 1 they are treated the same as a vaxxed child

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

Pat Kenny discussing vaccinating kids now. Main theme seems to be "what can we do to get more kids vaccinated?", not much discussion on whether is needed at this stage.

He's worried too about NPHET relaxing mask rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Bet he'd love this

“Nphet kept masks to get more kids vaccinated but that was always going to be challenging as parents don’t rush to get their kids vaccinated and they don’t really get sick from it,” a Government source said.

So I guess Government sources are now anti-vaxxers (as defined by some).

Had my kids vaccinated in January and they got covid a week later - it’s about a month ago now. I postponed apts for second doses this weekend. Not sure what to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not getting the younger kids vaccinated, older one was double-vaxxed at the end of October and got Covid over Christmas, as did all in the household. All similar effects from Covid, vaccinated or not regardless. Waste of time and resources - would much rather see our vaccine consignment sent to countries where elderly and vulnerable people are still awaiting vaccination - it would be much better all round.

Vaccinating healthy kids, teenagers and young adults against this strain of Covid is a futile exercise. Vaccinate the vulnerable and get as many vulnerable folks worldwide vaccinated. After all the vaccines were developed to save lives so use them to save lives, not give them out like penny sweets to kids while others go wanting.

Anyone clamouring for vaccinations for all and boosters for all are authoritarian jocks hiding behind "follow the science" when the science is anything but for mass vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Lots of reasons I won't be vaccinating my 2 kids:

We all had Covid towards the end of December, it was literally a joke for the kids, maybe one day of a mild headache and they had a nap in the middle of the day.

It's a double dose of a vaccine that Pfizer's own CEO said does practically nothing for Omicron (as evidenced too by the tens of thousands of cases per day in Ireland over December and January despite high vaccination levels and boosters).

The risk of Covid to healthy children is miniscule.

The vaccine doesn't stop you catching or transmitting the virus.

The clinical trial size was just 2000 children (half of which I'd assume were a placebo group).

And from the HSE themselves:

On rare side effects: "Most people recover from myocarditis and pericarditis on their own but they may need treatment in hospital. We don’t yet know if there are any long-term problems because of these side effects."

"We are still learning about the effectiveness and side effects of COVID-19 vaccines in this age group."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

This is me too Fits.My eldest got it at Christmas.Why would I vaccinate her now?🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Thanks, but can't take the credit there, call me old-fashioned but believe in encouraging kids to think for themselves rather than brainwashing them.

They figured out for themselves, better to wait till the end of the clinical trials of these drugs. Remember, for BioNTech SE and their collaborator, Pfizer, clinical trials don't end until around mid May 2023.

Guessing reports/data will be some time after, or then they may try to withhold that data for 75 years, until 2096, also (you couldn't make that s**t up).

Interesting to note from the study description that when these trials began, 5-11 year olds were not even considered as a study group. Still are not as of last update earlier this month.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Advertisement