Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking the F50 to Donegal

• 29-01-2022 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Yesterday afternoon I decided to take the "Little Fokker" to Donegal before Amapola leave the route in a few weeks.

The weather wasn't amazing – and I got fewer takeoff shots than planned as this morning's flight was cancelled due to high winds – but I totally recommend the trip for anyone looking for something to do.

The Caisleáin Óir hotel is walking distance.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Thinking back a long time ago, the aircraft to do that trip on (on a clear day) would have been the Shorts 360, with the larger windows, and flying at much lower levels, they were a real joy to look out of at the passing scenery. Not quite so nice on a filthy weather day over the Brecon Beacons on the way to or from Bristol, but that didn't happen too often fortunately.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Waiting to get confirmation of which of the two sets of days in the next two weeks I've asked for off work I get to head up - unlikely to get another F50 opportunity easily. Will be hiring a car in the airport to do what I'd be driving up for otherwise so its just an (expensive) modification of a planned trip rather than a specific plane-bagging one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Never got to travel on the 330, and from comments at the time I don't regret it, the handling and stability was not nice compared to the 360. Did a lot of hours on the jump seat of the 360s, and it was an interesting period of time, only 2 of the 6 in the fleet had autopilot, so I was able to watch and learn a lot. That led on to other things, but that's a story for another time.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I never got to fly a Shorts... I'm reminded of this (presumably apocryphal) ATC exchange:

TOWER: "XYZ123 (Shorts 330, Female pilot) clear to land 34"

XYZ123:"Roger, clear to land"

TOWER:"ABC987 report final number 2 to a Shorts 330"

ABC987:"OK when the Lady's got her Shorts down we'll slide in behind!"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Booked in for next weekend, my partner is already a tad wobbly in an ATR (although we were on a quite ratty 72-201 before) so I'm not sure what the reaction to an F50 that's about my age will be!

Now you’ve got me wondering whether airplane fans make up a statistically significant percentage of those taking the DUB/CFN route this month. I wouldn’t bet against it, particularly on weekends.

I’m one of them! Sat in Dungloe waiting for the bus over to Carrickfinn right now.

Getting this far from County Galway has been……an experience. I started my journey at 1pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, that's taking the scenic route, in all senses of the word!!

I haven't flown that route in years - the first time we did it (during F&M, so interminable queues to cross the borders), it worked a treat. About 2.5 hours door to door, when it was taking 6+ to drive.

Shortly after, a relative flew with pals - there was fog, so they first diverted towards Derry, then Sligo, couldn't make the runway there so after 2 or 3 attempts finally off to Knock, and a 4.5 hours bus transfer. 11.5 hours door to door 🤣

On that occasion, Donegal Airport provided some of the best customer service I can ever remember receiving. I love that airport!

(Apologies for the slight diversion from the aircraft, hope y'all enjoy your flights, I'm very envious! It's a breezy one today!!!)

Taking the "early" flight Friday, and there's a wind warning currently til 1200... could be fun, if it goes. Going on the schedule I presume the airframe overnights in CFN as the first flight is 0805 CFN-DUB which would be during the warning time. Long time between that arrival and the first flight up though.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

There have been plenty of cancellations over the last few months due to weather. If it’s out of limits or forecast to be out of limits, they won’t fly.

You can ring Amapola or if at the airport they will put you on the next one. They don’t tend to operate later and see if it dies down. They just cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any car rental recommendations up there?

Looking at a Friday night - Sunday afternoon jaunt but no cars seem to be available.

Enterprise is the only company serving the airport.

Enterprise, phone them and they are much more flexible than the booking engine allows (e.g. you can return Sunday, but the booking engine says no-go). Its a satellite office of Letterkenny, cars are dropped up as needed. Just remember there's about a week left of Amapola and the F50, then it'll be Emerald on an ATR72-600 - but if you're going for the scenery that doesn't really matter!

So, the moning CFN-DUB operated yesterday but the other three flights were cancelled. There were none scheduled for today anyway for whatever reason - even weeks back. So presumably the airframe is still in DUB, be interesting to see if the morning CFN-DUB tomorrow is cancelled or they dead-head up there.

Post edited by L1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ah nice one. Not so worried about the type of plane, just like the idea of heading up for a weekend without the long drive. Cheers for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

My dad is due to fly down to Dublin tomorrow evening, not looking likely with the weather forecast for tomorrow evening in Carrickfinn...

Yup, I wouldn't expect the Little Fokker to be going anywhere for the next 24 hours or so.

I'm glad I got my flight in a few weeks ago.

There's a positioning flight filed for 7am to get the frame back to Donegal, feck knows if even that'll operate.

SE-MFP made it up, and back in DUB now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Apparently it did not land at carrickfinn... flight from Donegal this morning was cancelled. 99% chance for the evening flight to be cancelled as well.

FR24 has no coverage in the vicinity of CFN. I can only assume that they made an assumption about landing time in that case.

Fr24 has apparent tracks for both directions but it could be simulated and be in and out of a rejected landing and return to DUB.

I have the building, power and data to put a receiver up there if they feel it's required!

1510 cancelled as I was checking in. Later flight still on... For now...

And it's gone too. Bus at 6 apparently, I could drive quicker

I was heading up to do something else not time dependent, not just get the F50, so I'm going home!

After some discussion with my partner, plus a quick check to see if there was anywhere suitable for us to do with our cases packed and days off.... we've rebooked for tomorrow. Will stay in the hotel in Dungloe this time. Won't be getting what I needed to get done done; but if we actually get up we'll at least get a night away!

Will go out on the bus so I can just go on the piss if the flight is cancelled.

Got to the gate this time, hour to go but looking likely finally.

In a taxi to Dungloe now. About half the flight were heading straight back, fair few getting pics on the apron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The Amapola Fokker 50 left Donegal this morning at 0915 on a ferry flight back to Sweden.

Advertisement