Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuck in Boston - snow's a coming

Options
  • 28-01-2022 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Am over in Boston for work and was due to fly out Saturday evening, but the approaching snow storm has been ramping up over the last few days such that yesterday flights got cancelled for Sat. So decided to stay here until Sunday evening and ride it out. Give snow rarely delivers to near the Wicklow coast, I'm hoping to see how it's done properly.

Any of you clever forecasting folk have a view on what's likely to happen tomorrow in north west Boston (Burlington)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I know you aren't asking for advice in particular, but have you been in the midst of a similar snow storm before? Do you have clothing for it?

Sit tight and wait for it to pass isn't a bad plan. They're very good to clear roadways, public paths etc but don't get caught in the wrong place in the wrong clothing just because you were interested in going out to have a look.

If you do have a vantage point over I95, expect to see the synchronized snow ploughs in action which are impressive to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I think that you are obligated to clear snow from the path outside your house - many people pay an annual fee to a company that will do this.

Because it snows every winter they are used to it and unless it is exceptional event it won't have too much interruption

Enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Advice is welcome as when I left Ireland there was no snow in the forecast so dont have the right clothes! But the hotel is right next to a mall and am stocking up on essentials this ev (alcohol) to consume in the hotel. But not sure what local business will manage to operate tomorrow but assume they're pretty good at clearing snow so can at least get to the mall and the airport will be working by Sunday ev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Forecast is for it to be exceptional 😁 1.5 - 2 foot widely with strong winds resulting in blizzard contains (actual blizzard not Boards.ie blizzard 😂)

Enjoy it BigMoose, you might never experience anything like it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Yeah looks like this could be an exceptional snowstorm for Boston and possibly even New York. Enjoy it and post some pics here if you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Niall145

Must be nice being in a place with actual weather (unlike Ireland)

double post

Hunker down in a Dunkin' Donuts. You should be within twenty feet of one.

If you don't have suitable clothes, don't even think about going out unless it's clear that the worst of the snow is gone and it wasn't as bad as expected.

They're very good to clear roads/pavements etc but they really only start doing pavements once they know it is about to stop so even if you see clear roads, don't be too confident that you can just go for a walk. I would be expecting to not leave the hotel at all tomorrow and plan accordingly with respect to provisions.

If you want to pick up clothing at a decent price, try Marshalls which has a store in Burlington.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

CNN reporting 3' of snow likely, with fall rate of 2" to 3" per hour sustained for 2 days at least.

Advice is don't drive, don't travel and to hunker down and stay safe.

• Advertisement

Thanks all - I'll try and take a few pics and am hoping for a real blizzard compared to a boards one 😁

I dont plan on venturing far from the hotel until paths are cleared, but will step outside for a pic or two. The notifications I'm getting here are saying it should stop by midnight sat/sun, so hopefully things will be clear enough for flights by late Sunday evening and the roads drivable to get to the airport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lots of pictures and some videos please BigMoose ! Our man on the ground reporting from Boston, will be interesting to see your observations.

Would be great if you had a yardstick or some means to measure the snow in your location ( back to the mall 😁 ) .

Looks like an epic storm, proper Blizzard, some very windy conditions, power might be an issue, a battery for charging phone/ laptop might be helpful also.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I envy you ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I was caught in a snowstorm in Boston in 2016/2017 everything shutdown for 24-36 hours. Whatever you do don't go near the airport or try to get on a flight until it's over a colleague was desperate to get home and got stuck on the ground for hours in Boston then his flight was cancelled so he opted to try get out of New York and was flown there only for the connection to be cancelled he arrived back home 72+ hours after setting out! For us that stayed the worst was that the hotel shut the bar and sent us to our rooms which was a pain and then the power failed! There was a curfew and we shouldn't have been outside but ventured out anyway it was great fun I'll never forget meeting another guest an Indian guy in flip flops in a foot of snow he'd never seen anything like it! My advice would be to stock your room with a few beers and snacks and watch how well they deal with it once it stops falling!

Thanks for those @Meteorite58! Colours I've not seen before living in Ireland!!

Ensuring I'm stocked up on enough wine for the hotel room the moment this work meeting finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I can't work out how to post videos, so here's a photo from about an hour ago. it wasn't too bad here then, but the wind has really picked up since I came upstairs to post so will venture to the door for some more shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The BBC were saying that there will be a rapid warming, after the snow. Suggestions of a flood risk.

This was earlier. Will go take another shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Watch Ryan Hall LIVE youtube channel for such events. He has Good few pro storm chasers out and about also.

Temps MINUS 8 and dropping in NY/Mass area. Winds of 50mph + gusts up to 90. 50K+ houses w/o power and rising

• Advertisement

About 11:30 local time.

Café a block away was open, but really wouldn’t want to walk further than that! Taken about 1pm local time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What are the temperatures there?

AccuWeather said about -9 now - I dont understand Fahrenheit so ignore whatever the local news is saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From reports on weather forum in US, areas north of Boston (where Burlington MA is located) had 30-40 cm, the city more like 50-60 and some areas south of the city 60-75 cm. It's pretty much done now and things will probably be back to almost normal even at the airport which had a record amount of snow (for one calendar day). Very cold and windy but turning milder in stages over the coming days, some of the snow may melt before it turns cold again and more snow arrives.

Hope you've sunglasses if going out for a walk today. The snow everywhere and intense sunlight is v glaring.

Went to downtown Boston before dropping a colleague off at the airport a few hours before coming back for my flight and yes, could have done with sunglasses! Was amazed that all major roads were cleared by morning and once you'd shovelled the car out of the snow, driving was fine.

Yes, 30cm was about right for Burlington but didn't have to drive far to see where they'd had more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement