Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Covid never really effected kids.

Omicron doesn’t really effect anyone.

Close the windows, take off the masks, stop isolating and get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My son is home sick, second ear infection i a month, sitting is cold drafty class rooms isn't helping in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

7 kids out of 21 in my sons class tested positive for covid over the weekend(junior infants).my son was back to school today after he had covid

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

One of mine has 9/20 out in their class since the beginning of last week. It'll go around a bit, like any winter virus.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My eldest was a Junior Infant in 2019. November and December of 2019, the class were wiped out with virus after virus - teacher moved the school play date 3 times as so many were out and they were down to single digits of kids that were in several times. The teacher herself was very unwell the week before the holidays. Bear in mind this was a time before the concept of 10 days of isolation occurred, so those numbers of kids were out because they were physically too unwell to go to school. There might be 12 or 15 out in your child's class, but I doubt all 12 or 15 are so unwell that they can't attend school - some will be at home because siblings have it, and some will be at home because they are still in the 10 day period - and then some will be at home because they are sick with something else.

It is doing the rounds and as long as the kids aren't too sick, that is the important thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

It seems to be calming down in our school after carnage before christmas and in the first two weeks of Jan. Only one out in my younger daughter's first class yesterday, and three out in my older one's fourth class. Less out sick than there would be in a normal January. That said, they are still uploading work to seesaw for the kids at home, so there must be more out in the other classes, but I'll know that it has all calmed down once they stop uploading the home-schoolers work.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Quick Q and sorry if it’s been answered previously.

what do we do in this situation when child tested positive last Sunday week and is now out side the period of isolation. We were unable to keep them isolated in their room alone. So at weekend my OH tested positive. My understanding is he’s now a close contact oh hers and should stay at home. Others tell me no he can go back to now as symptom free. I can’t see answer on Hse Covid advices - anyone know. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Well technically speaking the child has recovered from Covid so is not obliged to isolate if a close contact

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/4EPYQ6GDRQHM/fi7pesvxwa8t2fb.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

He can go back, as I understand it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

I had same

One child,few days later another one.I asked contact tracer when she called for 2nd child close contacts.She said first child can go back after isolation period finishes,doesnt matter second child cought covid few days later

• Advertisement

If your child has recovered from COVID-19 since 1 December 2021

Testing

Your child does not need to be tested if they do not have symptoms.

Restricted movements

Your child does not need to restrict their movements (stay at home) if they do not have symptoms. They can attend school and other activities as normal.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/contact-tracing/if-your-child-is-a-close-contact/#what-to-do-if-your-child-is-a-close-contact

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

Thanks - confused as I thought they would fall within the rules of being close contacts even though they are through it themselves already. Don’t want them to go back into school and pass on anything from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's nearly better for kids to get Omicron at this stage. One you recover and complete isolation period, you don't have to worry about being a close contact and isolating or restricting movements again.

Otherwise you could miss a lot more school by being a close contact every 2nd week.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Agree cluedo. The 5 yr old has it now one day tired / temp & right as rain after. We just did 2 antigens came straight up positive & it's running through the class. Didn't bother with PCR. What's the story re getting a recovery cert for her or any of us if we get it off her (going to US at Easter might save her having to do an antigen if that still a thing!) .

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

You need a confirmation pcr to get the recovery cert. Antigens not accepted.

Otherwise you'll have to get child tested before you go to the US. Well that's the rule atm anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Can someone please clarify as I'm finding different things online, 5yo symptoms on 23rd so today is day 8, can he go back to school tomorrow even though still faint positive antigen? Rang HSE, they said yes but wear a mask?! My 8yo has remained negative throughout but from what I read he has to stay home 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Only if aged over 9 they should wear a mask. HSE phone operatives haven't a clue what's goi'g on. Different information every call.

Yeah, negative child stays home for 14 days, positive returns.....10 days for the positive return, last time I checked but that could obviously have changed.

Also what they say on the phone can vary....

Why 14 days? It says in the above graphic household close contact age 0-12 restrict for 7 days ?

This is from the HSE site

Age 4 to 12 and a household close contact

Here's what you need to do if your child is aged between 4 and 12 years old and a household close contact.

There is separate advice if your child has recovered from COVID-19 after getting a positive test anytime since 1 December 2021.

Testing

Your child needs to do 3 antigen tests over 7 days.

They should do the:

• first test as soon as possible
    • second test 3 days after their first test
    • third test on the 7th day of their restricted movements period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

For the positive child it's 7 days isolation and then 3 days avoiding crowded spaces. I found the HSPC guidelines really clear on this. My 3 year old and 5 year old got Covid and both the playschool and primary school confirmed they had to stay out 10 days. Especially with such small children. Maybe an older child can wear a mask and go to school though. The school should be able to confirm for you.

On exiting self-isolation after 7 full days, cases should be advised to follow the below advice, especially during day 8, day 9 and day 10:

o limit close contact with other people outside their household, especially in crowded, enclosed or poorly ventilated spaces

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/newupdatedguidance/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So the schools are a safe, 50 cases in my kids primary school in the last week. That's about 10% of the school, 13 in my kids class so far, including my two (I have twins). Their teacher was off in November for two weeks, we weren't told but it was probably Delta, hope she doesn't get it again. For kicks and giggles there is another dose doing the rounds my son has it last week so that's two weeks off school for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

There will be disruption with Omicron doing the rounds as it works itself through the population. I’m so glad they opened the schools and got people into education rather than shut everything down. Yes children will miss time due to getting it or close contacts, that’s infinitely better than schools closing for weeks / months on end with no reopening in sight & their education and well being taking another massive blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Great Post and alot of parents would gladly like to see this instead of the mish mash that is the hse site.

Just one addition to your post... if the unvaccinated sibling of a positive case does not get covid they must stay home for 14 days (assuming the positive case could not self isolate). This is not clear on the hse site and I'm annoyed that lots of parents are sending children back to school too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Sorry I missed this. That info graphic is incorrect. The hse (unfortunately not clearly) state that the negative child must take 3 antigen tests over a 7 day period and turn repeat that for a second week. This is only for children who are a close contact with a household member who cannot self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

This is the case if the positive case can isolate. It says then unvaccinated persons can stop restricting movements 7 days after last contact.

if the house member cannot isolate then it’s 14 days

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/covid19/restricted-movements/caring-for-people-who-cant-self-isolate/#your-situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭political analyst

Holohan thinks the use of face-masks should continue in schools.

But respiratory viruses become less likely to cause serious harm every time they mutate. Furthermore, children who have cystic fibrosis or other serious underlying conditions probably still have to be home-schooled anyway. So why does Holohan think it's necessary to continue the mask rule in schools after the end of February?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It doesn't say anywhere in that the article that he says we should keep them beyond February 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The masks should be off the children. Ridiculous they’re trying to coerce parents into putting their children forward for the vaccine using masks as the weapon to do so.

1. Nearly all children had Omicron at Christmas or will have had it shortly, and therefore immunity.
    2. Vaccine benefit v risk ratio is not in favour of the vaccine for children. It’s currently running at 1 in every 2,200 children aged 5-11 with reported side effects after 88,000 doses given according to HPRA. The doctors claim it will prevent the rare inflammatory condition which they use a figure of 1 in 3,000 for. This article gives the figures in which the headline also includes the 12+ age group. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/one-in-2-500-children-with-vaccine-reports-suspected-side-effect-1.4781873
    3. The vaccine is for the Wuhan strain of Covid which isn’t the current strain in circulation.
    4. It doesn’t prevent transmission or infection.
    5. Teaching and learning is severely impacted with masks on younger children.

Advertisement