Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GCN Racepass vs Discovery+

• 28-01-2022 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

It's that time of year again, my GCN Racepass subscription is up for renewal at €39.99. The alternative is to sign up for Discovery+ at £29.99 (normally £59.99) and get all the Discovery content (which I don't need) but miss out on the GCN-exclusive content (which I very rarely watch)

The question is are there any races (road or CX) that are on GCN Racepass that are not on Discovery+?

Does anyone have experience of Eurosport+ (now Discovery+) over GCN Racepass? Do they both have the same race content?

Thanks,

R

Comments

From what I've seen last season the content on Eurosport was the same as GCN minus the on demand documentaries etc. Same ad free streams.

I only recently found out you can't sub to Eurosport on it's own anymore? Mine still auto renewed in October which surprised me as I thought they would try and move me over to Discovery, They've been charging me "Legacy Rate" for the last 3 or 4 years at €29.99 so I'll leave it run as long as possible.

I'd have more use for Eurosport as there is always something on, we'd dip in and out of the tennis and snooker so get value from the content outside of the cycling. The content on Discovery plus looks terrible outside of Eurosport.

Honestly if I have to make a call down the road I'd rather keep access to Eurosport even if it ends up costing me more by paying for Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'll be in the same decision-boat shortly. I also haven't watched (outside of youtube) any of GCN's exclusive programming. But then I could say the same about Eurosport/discovery - I won't watch any of the other sports or content outside of the big flagship bike races. I think the Eurosport web player shades it a bit over GCN in terms of watching the racing tbh, but there's very little in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I was investigating further and I found that Discovery+ does in fact have the same content as GCN+, at least for the next week or so. However, in doing so Discovery+ figured out that I was in Ireland and is now showing me the subscription prices in Euro, but without the 50% discount offered in the UK! So the choice is between GCN+ for €39.99 and Discovery+ for €69.99. It's no-brainer for me, I'm sticking with GCN+.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Have the GCN App on Fire TV, so it's pretty handy that way (although I also had the eurosport player app before that). I've watched a few of the "legend" programmes, but outside of the races, World of Cycling is my only real regular watch tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have discovery+ with Sky Q but it doesn't include the sports other than Olympics. It was great for that. App lets me look at live schedule but not watch it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Eurosport suits me better as like Enfilade I will watch the Tennis and Snooker too from time to time. What annoys me is the lack of a proper archive. When I consider how much cycling races over the years that they have they are really missing a trick by not making it available. It's even worse recently in that all I can find is racing from 2021 when I search. So they have basically removed almost everything bar the recent stuff. I would love a service where I could pick a race (TdF, Giro, RVV), choose the year and watch the whole thing. YouTube helps somewhat. Maybe I'm the only one that likes to watch old races.

Yeah @mewso there are youtube channels that have exactly that. During the first lockdown I watched a lot of the big wins Kelly had back in the day. Then the 1998 Tour, the 2014 Giro. The 1987 worlds and a few others. Gas thing is a lot of it, if not all of it is Eurosport content, how they've managed to keep it there on youtube is a mystery to me.

Eurosport may have had the rights to broadcast, but they might not have the rights to stream any archival stuff and that could lie with a load of local broadcasters and rightsholders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Some help needed, I have gcn race pass app. I access it on my iphone, it plays perfect. I cast from my Chromebook to chromecast, it plays perfect, with the commentary etc. There is no commentary when I cast from my iphone to my chromecast. Does anyone else experience this or have ye found a solution? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MangleBadger

It sometimes defaults to ambient sound when casted. You can change it back to English on the app

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Must see if that is the default setting on apple tv, as I have that issue with whole race playback on that platform. That, and the remote (and the crap fast forward), has meant I've generally stuck to using my Fire stick.

My Eurosport sub is up tomorrow and when I checked I realised I had an expired card linked to it, best change that says I. Hmmm not working, so I get onto them and after much head scratching they get back to inform me oh yeah we disabled that because we now want people to sub to discovery+ instead, so they can have access to nonsense reality tv stuff they will never watch for twice the price of a ES sub.

I knew it would happen eventually but could have potentially dodged it for a year longer had I had paypal linked and not the card itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone watching the cycling via Discovery+? (btw the Sky D+ offer now includes all the sports content for anyone who didn't know, it used to exclude it)

Was trying to watch Paris-Nice and Terreno Adriatico on Discovery+ over the weekend but the extended highlights would only play ads - it was the same on my TV and on my phone so I think the problem is at their end. Full coverage rerun works fine.

The discovery + with sky didn't let me watch anything in the app, had to be on the TV only

I haven't tried the SkyQ app, but other stuff (including sport) is playing fine for me on the phone and TV apps, it's just the 1 hour highlights programs...

tried the SkyQ app, they wouldn't play at all, not even with ads, just had a spinning circle on screen. I was able to watch the final stage of the Tirreno on Eurosport Catch-up on the Sky box, but only in a low-definition not seen since the glory days of VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was using the Eurosport app for the last few years and never had any problems with it. Decided to go with the GCN app this morning to watch Paris Roubaix and really not impressed with it. Keeps crashing and disconnecting. Logged in and out, reinstalled the app and no change

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wrong thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement