Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fast charge etiquette

• 23-01-2022 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Pulled up to a fast charger. There's a car already plugged in. Nobody in the car. I wait 40 mins, no sign of the owner. However the battery must be full because the charging has stopped. So I plug in my car and I'm sitting waiting. Thirty mins later I've charged enough so I finish and drive off. The other car is still plugged in to the fast charger and no sign of the owner. What's the craic? I assume this is bad behavior but is there anything I can do about it other than create a post and complain about charger etiquette?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nothing at all you can do.

What you encountered was a prick. Console yourself that this person is most likely a prick in all facets of their life.

The majority of EV drivers are considerate at chargers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭innrain

Life is too short. Find a different charger. I see on FB lots of complaints "these taxis are here from 8 o'clock", "this car charges here every day" . Waste of energy. Etiquette means nothing for these individuals and if not enforced by charger/land owner we can waste more. I'm in my 4th year of public charging and I've seen lots. Have plan B and sometimes C pays a great deal. So far never queued. 40 mins waiting = 60km+ driven or 50 km charged at some AC point if I'm very low.

Can I ask what charger and what plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think this points more to the poor situation with public charging in this country

This is similar to the person who leaves their car at the pumps while they get lunch from the deli and browse the sweets aisle for a bit

They're annoying, but at the end of the day there's probably 7 other petrol pumps you could use

With the exception of a handful of charging sites in Ireland, there's likely only one charger. So if it's being blocked, then you're basically screwed. If there were even 2 or 3 other chargers, then it wouldn't be a problem

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I reckon we will get to the point where you have a quick dip chargers. Kind of like the ten items or less checkouts at super markets.

Quick dip for 10-12mins charging and it cuts off.

Very often you will be 50km from home with 53km range and won't want to risk it. A ten min boost would give you the buffer to comfortably make it home.

• Advertisement

I think we'll need a lot more HPCs for that to happen but I agree that's where it'll go

I mean, if you stopped at a petrol station that was charging 6-10 times the average rate, you wouldn't fill the car, you'd only take enough to get where you needed

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

When eventually solid state batteries arrive you will see most forecourts converting to HPCs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭innrain

In my minds sounds like "By the time solid state ... most forecourts would have already been converted to HPC".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They won’t make as much difference as you think.

Garages will still be constrained by the supply available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭harderthanf

Battery swapping - the way to go. < 5 minutes turn around to 100%.

• Advertisement

Yeah I remember listening to a podcast discussing this. Basically unless the garage is in a very advantageous location to keep the chargers busy (or they make the electricity really expensive)

Basically the grid connection for a dozen HPCs is really expensive and they need to be in constant use to justify it

Probably the best way to get around it is better load balancing between chargers and using stationary batteries to do peak shaving. It also opens up another revenue stream for the garage because they can sell some electricity back to the grid if they don't need jt

In fairness the recent 5th gear TV show were in Norway testing a car from Nio. They pulled into a garage and the battery was swapped in less than 5 minutes. It was fierce impressive!!

Although again Norway are so far ahead of us it's laughable.

Post edited by mfceiling on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's so 2011 though. Just because some silly chinese company are doing it doesnt make it worthwhile. Never trust anything out of china - in the west we're only being fed whatever the PRC communist government wants us to hear.

Battery swap is simply not feasible nor realistic. Why would I want to swap a battery that I've managed the use of and monitored the SOH, for an unknown quantity? Who handles warranty issues?

Look up Better Place in Israel, Tesla in California for some examples of why this simply doesnt work.

Ah look I was just repeating what I saw on the programme.

I have to say I like the look of some of the Nio stuff. Mind you they have one vehicle that they may as well call the model 3!! Imitation is the finest form of flattery!!

Advertisement