Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Nearly pitched in for eagle on 11, nice recovery from a horror start

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Panrich

If he can pull this back into a top 10 finish, it will be a great comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

4 under his last 6 holes. Such a pity about the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Absolutely. There’s $207k for 10th place and I assume decent OWGR points so anything Top 10 would help keep his Top 50 status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

4 birdies since being 5 over, great character to turn it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just bogeyed 15, but still playing pretty good. be interesting to see how he gets on, on the 16th. Pick up a birdie in the last 3 holes and he'll finish top15 so not too bad considering the start

Play it safe down the last. He doesn't need to burn any more Fedex or ranking points trying to be a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

T14 finish.

Pity about the nightmare start but he showed great character to steady the ship.

Looks like he moves up two places on the fed ex table. Probably makes a slight move up the world rankings too along with another good pay day of over $100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

Very disappointing day for Seamus but these things happen. He would have hat to shoot 65 to tie Swafford and to shoot that score on that course, everything would have had to drop. He played excellent golf yet again for probably 67 or 68 of 72 holes so nothing wrong with his four days work at all. A two week break is probably just what he needs after that, I think he’s coming back to Waterford for a few days so plenty of time to rest up and get back it in two weeks time.

A positive move in the fedex standings as mentioned above and more OWGR points which is what’s most important. Also mentioned above is the small matter of the probably $130k cheque he picks up this evening. Still a great few weeks and everything is going in the right direction. Maintaining the level of golf he’s produced over the last few months is probably a huge ask but I do still think there’s more in the tank and another win is on the horizon. 12 top 25s in his last 18 starts I think is the stat now. An incredible run of golf by any man’s standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭mitchelsontour

While the start was not what he wanted, the character he showed in knuckling down and grinding out a score shows a level of doggedness that will surely stand to him the next time things get rocky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That top 25 stat is seriously impressive. Even the top top players would be happy with that I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

47th now, Lowry 49th

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

It had the potential to be a great day for Irish golf but didn't go to plan. In fairness he was due a bad round but a lot of positives to take out of last week-showed great character to come back from that disastrous start;got more experience of playing in one of the last groups out on a Sunday;is continuing to put in consistently good rounds of golf and put himself in contention; has climbed up both the FedEx and World rankings.

I think this break is exactly what he needs but he has laid the foundations for a great season, his best as a professional, so lets hope he comes back playing as well as he has over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That’s an interesting stat. Both top 50 which is good but I didn’t realise Shane was out there.

It's been an amazing journey for Seamus over the past 6 months. He will de disappointed with yesterday but a bit of a break will allow him to take stock of the bigger picture and all that he has achieved lately. His current FedEx points total would leave him 106 on last years final table if he didn't lift a club for the rest of the year so that is a great achievement in January.

The only disappointment for me from yesterday was that he failed to fully nail down a position well inside the top 50 and by extension a masters spot. It's amazing how players can drop away quite quickly in the rankings if their form drops off so every point gained is important. For example, if you look at the world rankings from equivalent week 4 in 2019, you had Eddie Pepperill at 40 and he's now down to 409. Let's hope that Seamus can continue to prove that this current form is the new norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Good gritty performance by Seamus after an awful start. Good paycheck and still moving in the right direction rankings wise.

If Shane had kept his head and responded like Seamus earlier he would've got himself a top 5, and plenty of rankings points. It's a tough game out there on a Sunday when things start to get away from you, but Seamus held himself together we'll, lending more credence to the view that he's a different animal now 💪

Since world ranking points are averaged over a two year cycle I think he'll remain in the top 50 comfortably enough as long as he doesn't start missing every cut.

If I understand the rankings correctly Seamus isn't defending many points from two years ago so therefore a top 20 finish like last night will push up his points average nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Shane has done pretty much nothing of note since he won The Open so it’s been a slow drop since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

That is a bit harsh.

He has challenged a few times but not got across the line.

He is about your regular top 75 pro. Some weeks up there and some weeks it is a MC.

Like a lot of pro's around this area they go through fazes of playing well and then drop off for a while. It is the fall off and how long it last can turn a top 50 into a top 100 and then drift further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Lowry is just shy of 6million in prize money since he won the open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ok fair, I was probably a bit harsh/dramatic, but I meant it in relative terms. Winning a major puts you in a different class in the world of golf, unless it’s a one-off fluke a-la Todd Hamilton or Shaun Micheel. He was inside the OWGR top 20 after winning The Open, in all the limited field events with massive money and world ranking points and hasn’t really made the most of that. His WR has been on a steady decline since. He’s had 5 top 10 finishes (1 top 5) since The Open in 2019 in the PGA tour and I think 1 more top 10 on ET, no wins. Maybe that’s what he expects and is happy with, but I highly doubt it. Who knows, maybe he would have traded it all for the RC appearance.

Where are you getting that 6 million figure from? I make it he’s won €3.8m across both tours since August 2019

Post edited by fullstop on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

"The Bogey Man" podcast has an interview with Seamus this week. Listening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭big_drive

Must listen later, seems like a very likeable guy

To be honest I think Lowry’s problem, and I don’t like saying it, is his fitness or rather lack of fitness. The days of Craig Stadler or Tim Herron type players are really gone. Nowadays there’s so much emphasis on mental as well as physical sharpness and you see it in sports like soccer where players get tired their mind can switch off. It’s no different in golf. A tired body can lead to a tired mind and while Lowry is naturally a big chap, his physique has got to count against him at that level I can’t see how it wouldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Well it didn’t take long for him to get tired last sunday did it? I think they’re might be a bit more to it than that, For what it’s worth Lowry has achieved more in his career to date than the vast majority of tour players will achieve in their entire careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The whole fitness argument with Shane is a very basic and predictable one imo. I could easily say that I've never seen a super fit Shane win anything, same way that I've never seen a "ripped" Rory win a Major... And if Jon Rahm lost another couple of stone, he could be world number 1.

Most golfers come in and out of form. Shane isn't going through his best run but he's doing well for a lad who should be running a pro shop.

I don’t disagree with you there - he’s a multiple tour winner, major winner, Ryder cup player and has earned over €20m in prize money alone. His achievements can’t be argued with.

The elite players (top 10 in the world) have no other focus other than winning and being the best. Lowry has a young family and is over and back to the US an awful lot even though he’s based in Florida. It could be he just mightn’t be putting as much focus into the game now he has other priorities, if it is that then you can’t blame him.

• Advertisement

So how about that Seamus Power eh?

Advertisement