Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hotels with EV chargers

• 24-01-2022 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Would love to see a list of hotels offering EV charging. Free or paid. Can anyone start off the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Try the website plugshare...some hotels with EV chargers are listed along with what type of chargers are available, e.g Fota Resort in Cork

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

because they are not booking sites.

there is a filter on booking.com

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Dermot224

The booking.com list is not chsrgers for hotel guests only. It .includes hotels with public chargers on street nearby which may not be accessable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭innrain

Best is to cross reference with plugshare. Some hotels might say they have chargers only to find out they are removed or broken in years. Plugshare is a good source. Every time my wife books a hotel I check on plugshare if they have chargers and I tend to suggest alternatives if not. Tesla has a list of destination chargers on their charging page which most are hotels. Again I tend to suggest those hotels if we discuss about a region to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Second that, I booked a hotel on booking.com specifically because it had an EV charger. When I emailed reception about it I was told the charger had been broken for months 🙄

Sure enough it was one of those old ESB hotel units that's about the size of a microwave. Big flashing red light on the front, hotel staff knew nothing about it and ESB told me it's not their responsibility to fix it 😬

Basically, always double check the destination charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Was this the Mcwilliam Hotel in Claremorris by any chance?

Nope, Fitzwilton in Waterford. Hotel was grand otherwise and there's 2 AC chargers within easy walking distance if needed

I think the ESB installed a bunch of slow chargers in hotels in the early EV days and basically forgot about them. They seem to have washed their hands of them and the units are slowly going offline without getting fixed

It's a shame because if the hotel got a big standard AC charger it'd be a 15 mins job to swap it out and they'd have a working EV charger to advertise

Yeah if it was the McWilliam Hotel in Claremorris, I was going to lay claim to being the last user of it before it became ‘out of order’…..

the Type 2 cable was very tight going in/out of it, and of course on the morning we left, the cable simply would not budge…. The harder I tried the less it wanted to move, until the charger started to disintegrate…. And with the help of the maintenance man we pretty much destroyed the charger!!! I ended up leaving my cable there and they posted it back to me when they eventually got it free!!!

• Advertisement

Wow, in all my years EV driving never saw a charge point like that, kinda reminds me of the ultra rare Tesla Roadster network that is slowly dying in the US

it was proper old school.... 3kW, but it did the job....

The morning we left, I charged to 100% as we had a drive all the way back to Dublin as herself was meeting up with a friend and taking kids to the cinema, and the weather in the west was absolutely wretched... driving wind & rain (average Wh/km went from 160 up to about 280!!!).

All was in good time to allow for charging stops etc.... but I lost an hour at the hotel trying to remove my cable while simultaneously destroying that old charger, while also having a bit of a melt down..... so what was to be a nice relaxing drive home from the West turned into a bit of a disaster... made it home and she had to literally head straight back out to meet her friend and make the cinema on time...

I'd heard via FB that the hotel was about to get some Tesla Destination chargers installed, but haven't seen any updates yet on PlugShare

That's the same one that was in the Fitzwilton, big red flashing light it all the time

They're proper old school, probably home built in Ireland, I think there were a couple of companies assembling them around then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Stupid question time.

Do the hotels contact Tesla for the destination chargers and they come and install them? Or do they buy them from Tesla and install themselves?

I believe the hotels go to a Tesla, and Tesla supply and fit the Chargers for free, but it’s then up to the hotel to maintain them…

What Tesla gets out of it? They get to list the location in the cars sat-nav as a place that a Tesla can exclusively charge.

What does the hotel get? Potential custom from Tesla drivers.

I charged in Kelly’s Resort in Rosslare, and went into their restaurant and we all had (a delicious) lunch. I’ve been to the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point twice and both times had food from their takeaway ‘Catch’ seafood van on their property, spending about €50-€60 over both occasions, while probably taking about €2-€3 of electricity.

then when my OH was on a business trip to Cork last year, she stayed in an hotel that had Tesla destination chargers there.

So it’s win win for the hotel, any hotel in fact with destination chargers (not just Tesla ones).

it’s not just hotels either, Banbridge outlets in the North have 2 of them next to to ESB charger, and CastleCourt shopping centre have 4 of them.

so if you know of any potential locations, get them to fill out the form with Tesla.

The one thing that's frustrating about the Tesla destination charges is when they're installing one they make it Tesla only

I mean, I get it, it makes sense since Tesla is installing the charger for free

But it is a bit annoying when you're looking for a hotel charger

Luckily a set of Torx bits and a jumper swap will fix that 😂

I guess there's nothing stopping VW or Audi or BMW installing BMW/VW/Audi only chargers in various hotels around the country..

People say it's the SuC network that's the main selling point for Tesla, and their probably right, but there's a lot more charging options out there that benefit Tesla drivers beyond the SuC network.

Going from Dublin to the vast majority of the below locations for an overnight stay, and you won't even need the SuC network...

Also, some of those charge points are 22kW, great with higher powered AC charging Teslas

Yeah most of the ones I've used I got 11kW 3ph so they'd all be 22kW...

The Kingston Hotel in Cork though was only 3kW, but for herself it was fine, as she left the following morning at 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cannco253

Does Tesla tell you if the destination charger is functioning or just that it's there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭innrain

Just that it is there. The units don't have comms. Again you need to cross check with plugshare as some units may be down.

Advertisement