Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm not too up on the tomb raider stuff but those mega drive ports really show how much the hardware can be pushed when there's passion and skill involved

Recently followed this guy on Instagram. Makes mega drive repros and hacks. But all stuff is custom and the actual games are tweaked. Check the Castlevania, just a colour enhanced version of the original but it looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They look really great - kudos to him for using different cart shells to distinguish them from the real deal.

What are his prices like? Wouldn't mind picking a couple of them up.

That Castlevania is $50 shipped in the USA. Pretty good I think.

My wife heading over there in march so planning on getting one or two and have her bring them home....Tax free

Master of the Universe

She'll need to get a Sega Mega Jet just to complete the lie.

'Oh these games? These are just for playing on my obscure Japanese console on the flight, see?'

Our marriage is built on buying unnecessary gaming consoles so nothing new there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

that castlevania cart is great looking 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Data Discs are releasing the Shadow Dancer soundtrack, I must give it a play as I never put much time into it.

Debating picking up the repress of Revenge of Shinobi. Haven't played it as much as Shinobi 3 as I found it quite difficult. I watched a speedrun of 3 recently and saw some interesting moves, must find one for Revenge of Shinobi to help get me through it. I've definitely spent more time listening to the soundtrack than I have playing the game!

Master of the Universe

The Revenge of Shinobi is absolutely brilliant. Was one of the first games I ever got for my Megadrive - I actually wanted Shinobi III (was fascinated by the horse levels in an ad I saw for it) and was secretly a little disappointed as a kid when I opened my pressie to find The Revenge Of... I've both games now but still much prefer it over III.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I much prefer revenge. It is a difficult game but it's very rewarding.

I never could get the good ending though and that final maze stage can **** off.

Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, did you figure out the infinite shuriken cheat on your own?

I actually remember the day it happened as I think it was one of the first cheats I ever actually came across in a videogame. Was playing about in the menu, set the shuriken count to zero, left it for a little bit and then that sound and the zero turned into a 'weird looking sideways 8'.

From then on I don't think as a kid I ever played it without the cheat on, kind of felt like I wasn't cheating too as I found it by myself hah.

I have since finished it without the cheat. Really does make you use your double jump/rain down shuriken attacks a lot more strategically when you're actually worried about them running out!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well here's an interesting little bit of info I've never heard of. In the 'Sega Smash Pack' released on the PC, they mistakenly included an unfinished prototype rather than the final game.

There was actually some other code in it not in the final game, like bits from a Shinobi mini game

Or a different 'bad ending' where Joe dies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Haven't watched this yet but it looks really well presented!

Master of the Universe

Good catch! That is exactly my old one which I sold last year for €800. The emails they're talking about in it would be the ones I sent to Jeff to confirm everything was legit.

Some markup! Had it up on ebay for ages with no luck at all.

Master of the Universe

Actually, looking back through my emails, it wasn't even a year, I only posted it out to the lad in July! :eek:

Master of the Universe

A new Shenmue anime, what the feck!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22889939/shenmue-anime-crunchyroll-adult-swim

I am guessing 3-4 episodes will be dedicated to driving a forklift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You’d think the tepid reception to Shenmue 3 would’ve killed the franchise off for good, but here we are. It’s mad to think the kind of reaction this announcement would’ve garnered 10 years versus the general ‘the f**k?….’ it’s getting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭dav09

As it should be, honestly the Fork-Lift action in Shenmue 1 makes the game for me, the morning race and missions in the port, I can imagine how they could adapt it as it's a real story-heavy based game.

Is Shenmue 3 really that bad? Haven't played it yet as there's no Xbox release and my gaming PC is prob too old now to run it, want to give it a try but afraid of it not living up to the previous two masterpieces. I'm glad they originals got a re-release but this remake would have been brilliant if it came to fruition, unfortunately, Sega scrapped it

Master of the Universe

Yeah that's the exact reason I haven't played it myself, only have an Xbox One and my PC won't run it.

I do have that free copy ready to go that was posted on here a little while back - am toying with the idea of a gaming laptop over the coming month so might finally get around to giving it a go then!

Didn't realise it was meant to be so bad, although I am hoping that's down to reviewers maybe not 'getting' Shenmue...

"Meet me at 3 PM" *Checks Clock:* 3:05PM

Reviewers: 1 star this is the fifth time this has happened in 4 hours

Maybe so! Hoping they just don't get the experience that we all love for some reason.

• Advertisement

Priced up a MD, PS1, PS2, SNES and GC cables 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

Suddenly composite and RF don't seem so bad 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My €5-10 Amazon/eBay Scart cables are good enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Jaysus, don't let Retr0 hear you say that, he tormented me for years until I bought RGBs for everything!

I mean, do you know how hard it is to get the PS4 to output via RF to a 55" TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

The Retro 2X devices?

They're pretty decent and from my messing around they are all the same with just a different cable so I changed the input side to a SCART socket and plug whatever I want into it :)

Master of the Universe

Be worth seeing if you can get the UK VAT amount knocked off as there's a high probability you'll be paying Irish VAT once they land here too :eek:

Has anyone any idea where I'd grab a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W? Seems to be out of stock or heavily inflated prices everywhere....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It really sucks the mark-up that they have at the moment. I grabbed a couple of the Zero 2 W boards the morning they were launched(like 30 mins after the announcement) and by the next day people were putting them up on ebay for silly money.

• Advertisement

Aye @Steve X2 it's a bit of a downer this whole chip shortage thing. The scalping is really sapping the life out of many hobbies

Advertisement