Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ice to phev now poss ev questions

• 26-01-2022 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Have a 2020 Niro phev ,43000km on it average 3.6l/100km up to 4.6 on long journeys (300+ km),plug in in every night ,but thinking of going full ev in next six months staying with Kia either the e soul or poss new eniro when it comes out ,now problem is convincing my wife she loves the car so have to convince her it's worth going ev ,so my questions are has anyone done a average cost per year doing I suppose average mileage of 20 to 30000km annually as opposed to average ice doing same mileage,also servicing cost annually,have had first and second service done each costing €200,any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

3.6l/100km life time average or that is just for the longer trips?

2nd hand car prices are ridiculously high, trading up might not cost you that much, trading for an EV might cost you a marriage, so win win 😋.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Well a EV would cost you about €420 instead of €1933.20 for 30000 km annually.I use the nissan leaf calculator of course prices could be different with price of electricity and diesel changing all the time.

The service on Ev are usually cheaper than ice and road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baz69

Lifetime average is 3.9l 100km,

Because of residual being so good at moment that's why I'm thinking of doing it next six months rather than waiting, been offered 28k on a trade in first place I rang ,so I suspect there more to be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭baz69

Mmm that saving alone even if approx,makes sense straight away.

You must be doing a lot of 200 km + trips? EV would be better for that sort of mileage, wait time on a new car has increase also for some makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Get rid of the phev, going by the MPG you drive too much for a PHEV to make sense. You should either get an efficient diesel or a long range BEV.

What diesel would do 3.9 l/ 100 km?

I would agree for that mileage a BEV would be cheaper to run, but in fairness I think that average fuel economy puts the idea of purchasing a diesel to bed for long distance driving.

It's petrol though, which is 8-11c per liter more expensive. That means the diesel doesnt even need to do 3.9l/100km to break even. It would need to get (173/163)*3.9l per 100km, or 4.14 l/100km. Which is 68 MPG in old money and perfectly achievable on long runs in any modern diesel. Without the hassle of plugging in and paying for electricity too (say 10kWh per day at 8c per kWh, which is 5.60 per week or another gallon or so of fuel, more if you dont have night rate). Along with paying more upfront for the phev, and paying for the home charging station etc.

PHEVs for me never make sense. If you're doing short enough trips to make it mostly/all done within the EV range then buying a full BEV is cheaper. If you're running it on fossil fuel more, then an efficient diesel is cheaper and a full BEV is greener.

Splitting hairs.

Diesel is bad.

7 kw useable in the niro, Its 2 or 3 k cheaper than the eniro now, 5 or 6 k when the grant was around, which the eniro still has.

Its a hassle to plug in ?????? and its so much easier to wait at a fast charger oh come on.

There is a middle ground between your 2 scenarios .

Is "Diesel is bad" the reason you're ignoring one of the best phev out there? The mercedes diesel phevs now have 80-100km of EV range combining diesel efficiency for longer trips, with the battery for short runs.

I'm not likely to get a phev but if I were it would be something like that.

• Advertisement

The range is fantastic, the rapid charging option is brilliant, but does it need a diesel engine, if you travel 105 km the diesel engine kicks in, its much the same as having a diesel for school runs etc, blocked dpf in no time. As you said better suited to long distance travel,

Would love one.

Advertisement