Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Did you get your electricity bill yet? Was there a hike in the bill?

• 26-01-2022 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

It was in the news for some weeks now about rising energy costs. I'm wondering has people here seen an increase to their electricity bills? The bill came for me but I am afraid to open it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Early 2021 I was paying 19.38 cent less 41% discount = 11.43 cent ex-VAT

The price has increased several times during 2021.

5th April = 21.18

8th July = 23.62

Oct = 28.11c, less 40% discount, = 16.87 cent ex-VAT.

The unit rate has increased by 47-48%.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Mine was a whopper! I'm afraid to boil the kettle since .. absolutely scandalous

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've a feature on Mt EI account, you can check average cost as the month progresses, pay if you want to or wait .

I'm an extremely low user, on a very old Tariff (nothing is cheaper), stayed clear of smart tariffs.

So average daily usage was €1.51 per day.

Since start of January (no additional usage) is now showing €1.64 per day .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Mine was the sameish but I was away for 2 weeks so...

At least there's the hundred euro to look forward to

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

€180 for a standard family home between November and December and a bit of Jan. No electric car and gas heating including hot water. Is that a lot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

About 13% up on previous bill for this period so not horrendous. Up about 10% on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'd say average 🤔 , mine around €95 , bi monthly, single household and don't use electricity for hot water or heating .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Up about 40% on previous year. I see profits are soaring for some of the electricity providers. Energia paid €30m dividend as profits soared during last financial year - Independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Yep. That was mine. 40% on the same period one year ago. 🤢

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ours was monstrous, just two of us in a 2 bed duplex. We were barely here for most of November but then from the last week of November were here all day every day thanks to both having Covid and then were on Christmas holidays. I work from home anyway. Bill was €286 😭, the biggest electricity bill I've ever had in my life. Really need to move providers, we are with Flogas who gave a good rate when we signed up for a year but out of contract now + price hikes = ouchy bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

A little over 500kW used, compared to over 700kW used in the same period last year and the bills come to the same 179e :( I'm used to the likes of 130-140e electricity bills bi-monthly, I think it's time I shopped around for a cheaper tariff or provider

€231....... NEVER went over €200 before..........the young uns have all flown the coop.......only Mrs Mc Carthy & myself at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭gifted

€297 ..that's the Xmas period......thieving bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

€310 here. Bungalow with two adults and three kids. 1st time I've had a two monthly bill cross the 300. It was from mid Nov to mid Jan and we were at home a lot (omicron). Still though, €310 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

The units of electricity used were approx 150 less than what was used in the same period last year from Nov 2020 to January 2021 but the pricing per units have gone up. The bill is more expensive this year. 260 euro for 2 people and we were being conservative with electricity. This is a truly a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People should make an effort to use less electricity. I think no matter what the price or source of lecky is going forward we all need to use less, we can't just keep using more and more power, and the more cheap power available the more is used to do things - Jevon's Paradox explains this well.

My mam used to make a big deal about us turning off lights when we're not in rooms etc and it stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

It would be worth overpaying your esb so you are cushioned against any more hikes.

I did that when moving away from bord gas at normal rate and moving to energia. Lower the final read and pay the new affinity rate with new supplier a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Glad I'm not in a shared house where housemate regularly ran the dryer with a knickers and a pair of her tights rattling around inside it.

Trouble is that a lot of low-hanging fruit is gone. Lighting uses next to nothing now. Even TVs are super efficient now a 43 inch using 98W average is in the worst-performing category now. Laptops compared to desktops can be as little or less than 10% of 20/25 years ago. Even electronics use sweet FA.

Maybe there's marginal gains to be made in say, fridges, or maybe cookers can be made more airtight but heating food and water (and air in some cases) are the biggest users and physics is physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Yep the costs have gone up but thanks be to Jebus we installed Solar PV back in 2019. Ok not much production this time of the year but its better than a kick in the arise. The biggest kick is the PSO, TAXES and SERVICE CHARGES are unavoidable. From march till October we buy no power.

Last bill €112 by monthly (Oct to Dec). Two of us in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭deise toffee

I’m a dairy farmer.My Bill for the usual 50 day period rose from an average of €1000 to €2036 in December.

I'm so sorry to read about your bill. I hope you won't struggle with it.

The government could quit with that 100 euro free towards energy bills and knock off these extra charges even if it's just for the winter months. That would be more of a help. The vat on my bill this time last year was 30 euro. The vat on this year's bill is 35 euro. It's just so steep.

Post edited by glitterIsland on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is there any good deals out there to switch to?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

We started using WeSwitchU in recent years and we're happy with the savings so far. They now charge a percentage of what you save but when we signed up with them they didn't charge us, they got commission from the suppliers, but the suppliers stopped that unfortunately. Anyway its been good for us so far. I haven't checked our bills over the last two months as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

You really need to look at getting solar. Very good grants available for farmers. Gets some quotes and do your homework. No harm in looking

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

My last bill in January was very high.

Over 190 euros just for two people living in a 2 bedroom, ground floor duplex.

We have an air to water pump, which is supposed to be cheaper-yeah right!

Rip off Ireland is truly alive and kicking!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭zell12

My January bill was estimated, almost 500 units higher than what the meter says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lenan

Over €400, usually 260 ish, family of 5 I. My OH blames me for the dryer I blame him for leaving the immersion on.

Advertisement