Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub contractor working with an apprentice from a company

• 25-01-2022 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi all I'm a sub contractor working for a company and they sent an apprentice with me to train him up was just wondering who is liable If god forbids he hurts himself using my power tools I work in carpentry so there's a lot of dangerous tools and he has no experience using them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need to clarify that with his employer. It should be them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dk1345

Ok thanks

Contacted his company today and all I was told that it wasn't me that would be liable not the answer I wanted they never said they would be either

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

Speak with your insurance company asap as they will probably want you to get an indemnity from the company

Thanks for that I just got a message from his employer that he works for him and is covered by his insurance would that be enough to cover me if something happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

Best to get an indemnity letter just to be sure to be sure…….

Someone who works in insurance will be better to advise.

From a previous job, regarding school work experience, a student, whether paid or voluntary is still covered by the business insurance NOT the schools as most think! The school insurance only covers if the student purposely causes damage at the businesses premises. Students are covered under employers liability. I understand that the apprentice is employed & paid by the other company but that doesn’t mean that they are not covered under your employers liability when working/accompanying you.

Get professional advice - too much to lose if there’s an accident….

Advertisement