Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

Answers my question, when is it morally safe to buy Diablo 2 remaster. Answer: Never, its coming to game pass :-D

$69 billion. HOLY SHEET!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Rainbow Six Extraction and Expeditions: Rome released today!

Expeditions: Rome has reviewed quite well. Think I'll pick that up at some point.

• Advertisement

Very excited about that. I absolutely loved Expeditions: Conquistador. Vikings wasn't quite as good, but this looks great. Will be installing it later and get a few hours in.

Will probably give Extraction a blast later tonight aswell.

First games to have me excited in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Another "Finally". Though obviously not as anticipated as Skywalker Saga, we have some Witchfire news at last.

They're currently calling it a dark fantasy roguelite shooter comparing it to Hades, Dead Cells, and Returnal in terms of getting to keep some loot, unlocks etc when you die. They're aiming for an early access release on PC by the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Watch Dogs Legion will no longer be updated, Ubisoft winding down support

Watch Dogs Legion will no longer be updated, Ubisoft has said, and the game's current multiplayer season will be its last.

In a blog post flagged via social media on Friday evening, Ubisoft said that the game's 5.6 patch - released four months ago in September 2021 - was actually its final update.

The game's fifth and final multiplayer season, which began at the weekend, will now be followed by repeats of seasons three, four and five on a cycle until servers are eventually switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ie: It's no longer making money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Electronic Arts & Lucasfilm Games announce new Star Wars titles from Respawn Entertainment

January 25, 2022 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) and Lucasfilm Games are joining forces to continue delivering all-new, world-class gaming experiences set within the beloved Star Wars galaxy.

Respawn Entertainment, best known for their work on Apex Legends™, Titanfall™ and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order™, is leading the development and production of these new projects. Vince Zampella, Group GM and Founder of Respawn, will oversee this new phase of EA's relationship with Lucasfilm, building on Respawn's award-winning history in game development and expertise in telling compelling Star Wars stories.

Game Director Stig Asmussen and his team at the studio are already working on the next game in the action adventure Star Wars Jedi series, and are joined by two new teams working to deliver additional unique Star Wars gameplay experiences across multiple genres. Leading the development of Respawn's all-new Star Wars first-person shooter game is Peter Hirschmann, Game Director at Respawn, who has a long and accomplished history with the Star Wars franchise. The third title is a Star Wars strategy game developed through a production collaboration with the newly formed studio Bit Reactor, helmed by games industry veteran Greg Foerstch. Respawn will produce the new Star Wars strategy game while Bit Reactor leads on the development of the title.

"We are excited to continue working with the superbly talented developers at Respawn," said Douglas Reilly, VP, Lucasfilm Games. "They have demonstrated excellence in telling epic Star Wars stories along with best-in-class gameplay across different genres and we are looking forward to bringing more amazing experiences to the galaxy far, far away."

"Building on the previous successes of our EA relationship, this new collaboration highlights the trust and mutual respect shared between the world-class teams at EA, Respawn and Lucasfilm Games," said Sean Shoptaw, SVP, Walt Disney Games. "Fostered by the expertise and passion within each team, we will create thrilling original games for diverse audiences across the Star Wars galaxy."

"Working with Lucasfilm Games on a new FPS in the Star Wars galaxy is a dream come true for me, as this is a story I have always wanted to tell," said Peter Hirschmann, game director at Respawn. Peter previously worked as VP of development at LucasArts, and was executive producer on the original Star Wars Battlefront games. Hirschmann and the team at Respawn have just begun work on the title

Lost the Star Wars exclusivity deal? No problem... THREE new Star Wars games are in development at EA, with Respawn being at the forefront. There's the Fallen Order sequel, a new FPS (excellent), and a strategy title of some sort which is being helmed by these guys in conjunction with Respawn;

The official announcement;

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

EA seem to have realised that Respawn are one the only studios that they haven't managed into the ground yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Forcing them to be shackled to licensed Star Wars games across multiple genres is a good way of speeding up the inevitable running into the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hopefully they can do better than clunky souls with the fallen order sequel.

This is the worry. They've already moved Vince Zampella to work on Battlefield, so there's restructuring afoot. Given we didn't even get working titles for the shooter and strat games, they must be pretty early in development. Hopefully there'll be a raft of hiring to follow.

Yeah, they need to improve a lot of that but TBH it's the FPS and (possibly) turn-based game that genuinely interest me.

More here from Jeff Grubb. He's saying that Zampella is actually overseeing the trio of SW games and Battlefront 3 is dead, as expected (déjà vu).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I think Fallen Order is the sort of game that gets a bit too much credit for being merely alright. After some disastrous EA Star Wars games it at least was something inoffensive, with a decent enough story (albeit with all the good stuff shoved at the end). But it’s a weak Souls game combat-wise and a pretty terrible Metroidvania game exploration-wise (the maps are awful to actually backtrack across). It was, at least, better as a whole than its individual parts, but not a patch on Titanfall 2 design-wise.

At least it’s one of those games where a sequel could, if handled properly, smooth out the edges and expand the ideas of the first. But I do have to admit it’s a shame to see a studio with such talented designers stuck making Star Wars games over original ones. Hopefully at least an FPS will allow them to use their Titanfall / Apex experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What annoys me more is I've friends I've been trying to get into souls for years and yet they will play and enjoy Fallen Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness I pretty much count Fallen Order as the thing that convinced me to give Souls games another try. With the Souls games being kind of their own genre/style of game, a Souls-lite makes it easier to bridge that gap and make trying a Souls game more palatable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nevermind, re-read the post 😆🙄 stupid inability to delete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Fallen Order wouldn't be anywhere near as unforgiving as the Souls or Nioh games and it has an adjustable difficulty level.

Yeah, I gave Bloodborne a go and while I can recognise it's a good game I just wasn't up for the grind. Plus I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

I'm still intrigued by Elden Ring but I'll hold off a while on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I enjoyed Fallen Order quite a lot so am excited for a sequel. Sure, it was partially driven by being a Star Wars tie-in with the associated lore but it was really enjoyable for me. My one criticism which johnny_ultimate highlighted is that the maps are brutal to return to pick up anything missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Fallen order was grand for what it was, but for anyone who'd played the souls games, the combat was a serious downgrade. Enemies had no stamina meter, so could block swipe after swipe without consequence, making combat essentially button mashing, and they did that super annoying trope of having a close range encounter while also being shot at by ranged attackers.

however, overall, I did enjoy my time with it, and some of the sequences like the train were very cinematic.

Was really hoping it would be a entry level drug for them but no, they just wanted star wars.

Maybe George RR Martin will be the push.

Fallen Order I think suffered from being released so close to Sekiro for me. The parry / counter mechanics in Sekiro are basically the best in any video game (albeit once you overcome the learning curve), but in Fallen Order the parrying felt clunky and imprecise in comparison. It's more 'generous' in terms of timing and requires less precision, but somehow feels worse as a result!

Ubisoft have added a plaque to one of the Rainbow Six Siege maps to commemorate a former player/ esports commentator who passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

I enjoyed FO for what it was, but haven’t gone back to play it again. I think if you’re going to borrow mechanics from Souls games then you should at least have your character controls nailed on. It felt clunky and unpredictable at times, and jumping always felt weirdly floaty.

A Star Wars game with the mechanics of Sekiro would be unreal, but considering the popularity of the franchise I can’t see it happening, FO is probably the closest we’ll get.

• Advertisement

Advertisement