Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant TCR Advanced 2 disc pro compact 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that crankset is a reasonably common swap for a 105 crankset, it's just a little bit heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Thanks...so only benefit moving to 105 would be weight and nothing else ? Also is changing a crankshaft a simple change or it will need revamp of entire group set also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a 2020 TCR and it is a great bike, the newer model seems to get even better reviews. Hard to call that good value at that price with the non-105 crankset (although a swap there is only about 120 EUR) and I'm not certain about the Giant PR-2 Disc wheelset, but you could also say the same about value across almost any other brand at the moment.

I'd happily buy the TCR again but if I had 2600 now, I'd consider the Canyon Endurace CF7 (105) for 1999 or the CF8 with full Ultegra for 2299 (stock is an issue but that is the case with all brands) or Ultimate CF SL 8 Disc for 2699 but a kilo lighter than the TCR. Buying the TCR from a shop could have its advantages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I have a defy advanced 2 2020 so some parts are the same. I swapped my crankset out for a 105 crankset to complete the look of the 105 finish.

The pr2 wheels can be hit and miss. My rear was faulty but giant changed it with no issue. Giant are great bikes with lifetime warranty on frames that they standover.

Id say get it and invest in better wheels in the future and you will have a very decent machine.

The quality of the frame and paint on my defy is on another level. They really are great bikes. I have a cube agree c62 ordered for june, just want something different but i honestly dont know if ill be able to part with the defy. The defy might even be a better bike. But you cant go wrong with a tcr either, everyone raves about them.

Thank you very much ! will have a look at the canyons ! I have asked the shop for upgrade and costs....hope its around 120 mark you have said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

When I clicked on the link it says the crank is Shimano RS-510, 36/52 which to my understanding is basically almost 105, like a Tiagra in 11 speed. Not worth the money to swap them out unless you have a real dislike of it not being branded. The wheels are sh1te though

Thnks....have asked for the quote to upgrade crankset to 105..lets see...which one did you go for in your defy advanced ? R7000 ?

:) thanks to know they are almost same....any suggestion on upgrade on wheels and possible cost ? I have been told to avoid tubeless tyres too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd say a shop may charge more than 120 - that was the price if you find it in stock online.

It is only really a change you would make for appearance though, the weight saving won't be noticeable (150g or so). Bike shops don't always have access to the cheapest prices online so not sure what price and stock will be like when they order from their distributor. Labour wise I'd almost hope they'd do that for free if you were buying the bike and new crank from them. I would change to a 50-34 if I was changing it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

FWIW i have a bike with 105 (5800) and the similarly aged equivalent to that crankset (the 500 model) and hummed and hawwed a couple of times over replacing it but never bothered.

if the LBS were willing to do it for €50, i'd go for it - though if they don't have much use for the crankset they take off, they may want to ensure they recoup most of their outlay on the 105 crankset, but are they readily available anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭joey100

Like others have said a great bike. Once it fits you won't go wrong with a TCR. If I was upgrading bits I'd probably go for the wheels over the crank. You won't see any real performance difference from a different crank. A nice set of wheels and tyres and you be flying. You could keep them ones as winter ones. The difficulty with upgrading disc brake wheels is the added cost of the rotors, about 50/60 euro per rotor so not the cheapest upgrade in the world. But the wheels probably be fine for the start, unless the shop is giving you credit against them or your selling them on keep them for the next few months of crappy weather before you upgrade them.

Thanks all.

Below was the estimate from the shop ! I also asked to change the cassette to 11-34t from 11-30t get a sense of cost...

Cost of individual changes would be: 

- crankset 105 R7000 crankset - 50-34T - crank arm 170mm - 190.37e, 

- cassette (105 currently unavailable) upgrade to hg800 11-34T - 113.04e, 

We would also need change rear derailleur for long cage one and chain for longer as well: 

- rear derailleur 105 r7000 - 72e, 

- chain (105 currently unavailable) upgrade to ULTEGRA - 47.59e, 

Will stick to the crankset incase I go with the bike ! But overall the bike seems grand and tire upgrade is something worth looking !

My hunt carbon aero 33s were about €930 and then i needed a cassette and rotors. Prices have gone up since then though and availability is scarce. Just cycle it as is and see how you get on with it. When the pr2s work ok, they are a solid enough wheel that can last for years.

god, they're not offering a part exchange on the original crankset at that price, are they...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Gerry

Use the original crankset, when its worn out swap with the 105. theres probably not even 100g in it. I used rs500 crankset before and I can say it was far superior to a lowend fsa omega. its really not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

RS500 crank also looks a lot nicer than the rather dull 105 version IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have a set of HUNT aero Alloys, use the Giant ones for a week and then borrow mine for a week and see if you notice or get any benefit from the swap, they would be the alloy version of byrnem31s wheels and I found them great.

Always wondered how the likes of Giant etc. buy their stuff from Shimano. We'll take 100,000 105 groupo's please, minus the cranks ???

The cranks seem to be the go to money saver across the board, like you never ever see Claris cranks even though the exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My 2016 Defy Disc has that crankset. I haven't bothered changing it tbh. It's hollowtech 2, so I really couldn't see a reason too. In the scheme of crank replacements they're not the worse. On my topstone, going from the FSA crank and BB to GRX 2x did make a noticeable difference in weight.

I've been running the stock PR2's as well - had a warranty replacement because of the freehub, but apart from that they've been ok. I did have the rim brake PR2's rebuilt on my TCR after a couple of broken spokes. I've only just purchased new wheels for that one, but have yet to fit them with the state of the Wicklow roads!

Why does it have a pro title in the add description? I thought pro models were carbon wheels etc?

• Advertisement

It is a compact version bit differently named in other geographies ! But i checked basic tcs advanced 2 disc and everything is same ! So its just the naming which is different across geographies........see below a USA Giant video on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v4cchE2OQA

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Jimbo789

The pro model has a different fork because of the overdrive 2 steerer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Yeah. Carbon steerer in the pro. It's the 0,1,2,3 that determines the wheels and finishing kit.

Always wondered if the carbon steerer was worth all that extra cost. Great bikes anyway though. Can't go wrong with a tcr.

Advertisement