Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice problem

• 03-01-2022 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hey guys

Not sure if in right area but looking for help.

We noticed the past week noises coming from inside the wall. Were pretty sure it's mice/rats as it sounds like then nibbling away. We put down traps but so far noting and notice no sign of them actually inside the apartment.

Were on the third floor and share walls with our neighbours. I kinda thought we were safe on third floor from rodents.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience/advice on this it would be great, should we talk to our neighbours? Ask them do they hear it? Or seen any inside.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In my experience, bait boxes placed externally seem to be very effective so I'd suggest arranging with management to have this done.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

I got a few in the shop. Are there better ones? Do you think I should contact management? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you own or rent?

Rent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Speak to your landlord then. The management company won't talk to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

I was an owner in a development and the management agent were happy to deal directly with tenants over certain issues - rodents being one of them.

Depends on the management company I suppose but for these types of issues we found it was nearly always easier to deal with the people actually living there.

Thanks guys, last night was awful

We found evidence there in the bedroom

The property agent is off today

Were laying down more traps and getting a sonic thing aswell and contacting them tomorrow too

If anyone has any advice happy to hear that too

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭knockoutned

If you're not squeamish about cleaning up after, a bit of peanut butter on an old fashioned mouse trap is very efficient in getting rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,763 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Very often it's mice, not rats that are the culprits. No need to kill them, you can catch them with these:

Use peanut butter/chocolate and a bit of grated cheese at the entrance. They really work, you may have to reset them a couple of times as they may not go in the entrance first time and inadvertently set them off. Very easy to setup and clean afterwards and nobody has to die. Just release the mice in a park or a good distance from your apartment once they're caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I costs about 150 euro to get in pest control. They will have it sorted in a couple of days to week where you will be at it forever. Talk to your LL or Management company. The sonic youkes are useless save your money and get pest control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We always get mice every year between September and January. Even got a rat once.

Traps do the trick. Catch the 3 or 4 that get in and you are done for the year. Old fashioned traps with peanut butter. They get in anywhere.

And use the killer traps because they know their way back if you release them alive. You can can transport them from live traps far away, but be prepared for your traps to be covered with mouse p!ss while you are transporting them.

Dont bother calling pest control for mice. Cheaper to burn your house down to get rid of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

It's the landlord/management company's problem. Get on to them.

Thanks guys

Last night we heard nothing. But noting in the traps.

Give it one more night and if we hear anything get on to management and get pest control in

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is the Ops problem No? They are the one that have to live with it. The LL/mgt co might be the ones tasked with getting rid of them officially but still the Ops problem.

Anytime I had mice I put chocolate in a trap and resolved the issue in a week or 2. Most we had was 9 corpses going into the wheelie bin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

In my experience, for mice, traps are the only way to go. Poison results in them dying in places where you are aware of the smell and then have to go hunting to find their remains.

Put down traps and count the bodies ... the only way to be sure. I leave baited traps in discrete places around the house, all year. The bait being taken is an early warning system that they have returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There will be a million of them by the time the management company gets in on the action. Sort it out yourself right away with traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jood22

We recently lived in a terraced house and it was like a train of mice at night there were so many in the walls. We were renting and had to get pest control ourselves (it was in the lease). Tbh it was a total waste of time and money unless everyone else also got it in the row of terraces. The mice were running from house to house. Mouse traps never worked either for us unfortunately.

we were leaving anyway but I was so glad when we did as on our last night I could hear them next to where I slept! 🥺

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

A very simplistic answer, it might well be the tenant attracting them or someone else nearby,Id say it is in their interest not to take the view you do, because they have to live with it or help sort it too, cant just throw your hands in the air and expect the landlord to sort it if there is some problem drawing them in, for the live capture, I'd consider that so they dont end up rotting behind a wall, then Id dispatch them, just letting them loose, they will get back in surely.

We got a lend of a cat and seem to make them piss off. The traps were empty. We went over every inch of the bedroom and moved back in because I thought we were safe.

Unfortunately the first night back in the room I heard noises and saw one of them.

I contacted property agent the next morning. Weren't super bothered, said they send Handy man over to have a look.

I contacted property management and lot more helpful. They were well aware of the problem as other tenants complained. Pest control are coming regularly.

On top of that caught one in the trap, the one I saw that night. Hopefully the end of it.

• Advertisement

I had an issue with light scratching noises in the wall recently. I put down traps with peanut butter in them but found that they were hardly touched. I saw fleeting glances of something running across the floor, but it looked small and explained why the noises were low. After a few weeks, I decided to give up on the untouched peanut butter and was puzzled that it wasn't effective. I replaced the bait with some small meat scraps and within hours a trap was sprung.

I was however surprised to see that it was a pygmy shrew that had been caught. I never saw one before - apparently they are quite common, but elusive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The poor pygmy shrew 😥😢

For the first time in 8 years in my house (I own it) I have had an infestation of mice! In the attic and kitchen mostly and between the walls and floors. The noise at night has been the worst! I tried the humane traps setting them with peanut butter and crackers. Next day the peanut butter and crackers were gone but no mice had been caught! Clever or what!

I also have 2 cats, one is useless and one is brilliant when it comes to mice. The brilliant one had her work cut out, she stuck with hunting them for the best part of 2 weeks an finally after killing about 5 and scaring off the rest I have a mouse free home again! There seems to be a lot of them around this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Always used to use a piece of rasher in a trap tied on with string so they had to tug at it. Also placed the trap in a "tunnel" like betwen 2 boxes or against a wall in such a way that they had to walk onto it. Once caught 8 mice, every morning there was another mouse in the trap. Once I found out how they were getting in (a gas pipe in the garage going in through a wall to underneath the kitchen floor had a small gap that I sealed) we never had any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

if you buy the right poison you wont smell anything

we use poison standard every november each year when they want to come inside the house ad never smelled or heared them

I think you have just been lucky that they have died somewhere else. What is the right poison that prevents the smell of decay? I used poison for mice once and then had to search through the hot press the for source of a smell, before finding two mice bodies. I vowed to never use it again after that.

One of the other risks with poison, is secondary poisoning when other animals or birds may eat a dead mouse or rat. Poisons circulating in the general environment, is never a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

There's an invasive species of shrew that came in recently from Europe, twice the size of the native Irish Shrew and is eating the native shrew out of it's natural habitat to the point it no longer exists in some parts of the country.

They are also more likely to enter houses.

If that was one of the non native species then I say fry the badstard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's downright cruel. I love little furry things!

I use chocolate,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That is likely to be ones based on warfarin. supposedly causes intense thirst so they head off to find water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and finds the domestic water tank in your attic, falls in and well...............

A nice thought to have when you washing the teeth in the morning

Advertisement