Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Career pivot from biosciences/lab based?

• 24-01-2022 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

not to churn up the same stuff over and over again! 😁 also realise this isn’t a career advice forum, just thought someone may have done something similar!

partner left her job at Christmas, was for a big clinical diagnostics company (biosciences) in north that she hated to make a long story short, bad reputation they have.

anyway she has a biomedical science degree and a masters. Lab experience etc and would now be at manager level as she’s done it in the job, 5 years experience or so in 2 companies.

looking for something WFH a bit and 2-3 days max in an office, if all WFH even better. I WFH at the minute and it makes her envious! She was exploring the legal/compliance side of her sector to WFH.

struggling on the job application front at the moment almost 3 weeks in for jobs in NI, ROI and UK.

for someone like this how easy would it be to pivot to another sector or industry? Thankfully I’m able to pay the bills while she’s out of work but she’s thinking of just taking something to get money in now to figure out where she wants long term.

Taking a job in another sector you don’t think you’ll like temporarily could open new doors!

linkedin, NIjobs, Irish jobs, indeed have been her main platforms and a decent cover letter to go with CV.

based in the north but both only moved up from Leinster earlier this year! She’d be reluctant to do any sort of course commitment again part time as she’s only finished her masters about a year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d say give it time- it’s only a few weeks and things take time to crank back into life post Christmas. Realistically it’s going to take at least 2-3 months to find a suitable role.

That sector is buoyant so should be lots of opportunities. Of course limited by suitable location. I wouldn’t fixate on the WFH as that would limit again opportunities and unfortunately having left a position weakens any leverage there- you’re squats more appealing if still “in a job” to potential employers. Often WFH is something they takes time to build up or earn with some organizations

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Good point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Any other job platforms recommended, think the main ones are mentioned there…

Advertisement