Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

• 24-01-2022 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Obi wan is the next character to get the Disney+ treatment.

After a watchable series of "The Mandalorian" and a less watchable "Book of Boba Fett" what will this be like?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,194 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Should be noted that that's not a trailer. Youtube channels like that just edit together already released clips, interviews and concept art (and often just fanmade art like the thumbnail) with some music behind them and call them trailers as clickbait.

Well, thats the same trailer that i watched on Disney+ yesterday .........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah it looks official. While not a trailer as such it's more a teaser. No new footage. Just concept art and rehearsal footage like the lightsabre training.

Yeah I don't doubt the clip is mostly an official release by Disney, just as CastorTroy said it's not really a trailer (which would generally be considered actual clips from the show), but is instead just interviews and concept art, and clips from previous movies (including Vader/Luke fight and Obi-Wan/Anakin fight edited together to make it look like Obi-Wan fighting Vader). Plus the thumbnail on the video doesn't appear in the trailer and appears to just be fan art.

Just making that point that that's not a trailer for the show (again, given a trailer would almost always just have clips from the show).

• Advertisement

Where did i mention it was a trailer?

Why are yee fixated with the word 'trailer' ? I cant help what the person that uploaded the vid to youtube put on it ....... 🙄

Sorry, I don't mean it to sound like I'm criticising you or anything. All I was saying is that the thumbnail says trailer and has a particular image on it, and I'm making the point for anyone who sees it and thinks there's a trailer out for the show, that it's not actually a trailer and that image isn't even in it. Even for myself when I saw it say trailer and saw the image I was hopeful, but I did expect it was from one of those channels who claim it's a trailer when it's not (I've been fooled by them enough times on Youtube at this stage to be pretty skeptical when I see "trailers" from unoffical sources).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh good. Tatoinne.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Obi-Wan Kenobi, confirming it takes place 10 years after Revenge of the Sith

Does this mean it'll feature Luke as a precocious little brat like Anakin in TPM?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh I never even thought of that. Oof. I'd not be surprised, given Obi-Wan is there to monitor Luke.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

At least the show has a reason for why it needs to set on Tatooine.

The ironic thing is that rumours I have read have a Obi-Wan off the planet - the one character who is supposed to be there all the time.

I really wish Lucas had not put Jabba on Tatooine in RotJ and wish he not done the same Anakin in TPM.

Anakin’s slave life could have been set on a new planet and the Prequels could have ended with Owen & Beru leaving that world after Kenobi delivers the baby.

Also, Owen & Beru should have appeared in an episode or arc of TCW that would explain Yoda and Kenobi trusted them to raise with one of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

Also, Owen & Beru should have appeared in an episode or arc of TCW that would explain Yoda and Kenobi trusted them to raise with one of the children.

Good point, and to think of all the nonsense filler in TCW (jar jar episodes come to mind) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I know there was episodes that I didn’t enjoy as much as others but I don’t remember any episodes that I thought of as fillers.

there was definitely missed opportunities (something which plagues every Star Wars project and I can never understand how the powers that be don’t see it) - for example there could have been more arcs devoted to other Jedi and more Clone-centric ones like Umbara (which is possibly the best arc there was) - but Owen & Beru are definitely among the top missed opportunities.

Owen in ANH comes across as having a history with both Anakin’s dark side and with Kenobi and we don’t see that in Episode II. How much he wants to keep Luke from it all in ANH isn’t just the result of being told a story by Kenobi. He has experienced something.

In Episode II, he should have gone with Anakin on the search and seen first had what a Jedi is capable of when Anakin loses it at the camp. Then an encounter with Kenobi in TCW. With the chance missed in AotC, the Lars being in TCW was even more necessary.

It gets "better", if this site is to be believed:

I'm in two minds about posting the contents here, 'cos I know people get awful twitchy around spoilers relating to favourite pop-culture entities but ... yeesh. I mean, I guess it was bound to happen given it's about Obi-Wan so what could I have ever expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Some official images have been released, courtesy of Entertainment Weekly.

https://ew.com/tv/obi-wan-kenobi-first-look-photos/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,778 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Looks pretty good. Using this series as a way to look into the Jedi hunts. Also not restricted to the desert which is good.

The non Tatoinne setting looked cool, some neon urban landscapes are a nice change of aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Damn.. why do I associate tatooine towns with Vespa Gang now!?! 😕

Aside from that, this looks promising. Felt like shoutout to Star Wars Rebels animated series with the Inquisitors.

Doesn't hurt to throw in Duel of the Fates.

Still Deborah Chow listed as the Director and she did fine with her Mandalorian episode.

Can't say much about the listed writers Joby Harold, Hannah Friedman, Hossein Amini. Just that they don't have an awful lot of previous shows to guage off.

That last writer though.. George Lucas (4 episodes, 2022) he sounds like he might have a notion or two about Star Wars 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ah nuts, looks like Lucas might just get listed on all Star Wars. He's listed for 24 episodes of The Mandalorian:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the trailer looks damn good but well......hope this is nothing near Book of Boba ffs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 84,750 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I would watch Joel Edgerton in anything

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think as part of the deal he had for selling Lucasfilm that he gets credited for any future products based on any of his work, so anything based in the Star Wars/Indiana Jones universes will have him down as a credit. He was vocal about his displeasure about the direction of the SW universe but that was quickly shut down, he's just happy to get a pay check at this stage, then again considering the billions he got I'd say he's not living check to check somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

This looks good and hopefully it steers clear of the poor nostalgia driven Mandalorian and Boba Fett shows. Hopefully, it is an extension of Revenge of the Sith with Obi Wan coming to terms with what happened, how it happened, why it happened. The trailer suggests he goes on a journey of self-discovery perhaps realising that for as long as Luke 'stays hidden' there will be hope and that is all that matters. I wouldn't be against a Vader limited series set during this time as well; tracking his journey from Sith apprentice and an unknown to Sith master and becoming the face of the Empire by the time A New Hope rolls around.

It's too little to go on from a trailer, but anyone else a little underwhelmed by the look of the Sith? Especially what I presume to be the chief dude at whatever Imperial citadel he's speechifying from; the white makeup looked a little cheap and "obvious" if you know what I mean? Just something a bit off about it, like a cosplay rather than a "real" alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Yeah, the Grand Inquisitor does look off compared to his Rebels' look - comparing to a cosplay is a good call. The Pau'ans were in RotS, and Bruce Spence (gyro pilot from Mad max) played their leader - it was practical make up effects (image below), so no excuses for getting it wrong. Hopefully it's the lighting in that one close up in the trailer, and he looks better for the rest of the show.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/f2/Pauan.png/revision/latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm buzzing for this. Cannot wait.

The period between ROTS and ANH is something I've always wanted to see examined. I think this should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Was that palpatines voice talking about Jedi hunts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's the Grand Inquisitor, he's the white alien you see later with the red marking on his face. Leads the imperial inquisition which is a load of dark side users, some former Jedi like him and a bunch of captured Jedi children and later those who would have been recruited by the jedi.

They've twirling double bladed lightsabres (and stupidly can fly with them)

Advertisement