Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭wench

Is the state pension not still integrated for the Single Scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

What are the tea breaks? Thought it was just 15 mins. Dunno how it's even possible to take them anyway when core hours are almost at the time you'd want to take a tea break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Sorry Wench just rereading some of the posts. Im not single scheme. I'm post 2004 but pre 2013. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭wench

No worries.

In that case, as a post-95 member, your state pension should already be integrated, and not an additional entitlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm amazed that the unions have been so quiet about the pension levy. There seems to be no real talk of getting this back, but it is certainly a good target to go after.

How would removal of flexitime help you? You know it doesn't affect the total hours worked by staff, right?

Most sensible employers have moved on from the macho presenteeism BS that you seem to be pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You will receive the state pension alongside your CS pension . Whatever your pension entitlement is will be both CS and state combined.

Post edited by yabadabado on

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

In complete agreeance here and apologies I should have had the foresight to mention that. The only reason I mentioned childcare and caring duties was it was the two most cited to myself. Yes the commute if its shorter is a lot better than when it does not have to be done. Gives you more time to yourself to spend doing whatever you wish. That quality of life is priceless nowdays. I do welcome the bringing back of flexi. Hope it is sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will the easing of restrictions mean departments will return to one/two day attendance in office ?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Paul MCM

I would think so, maybe something like 1 day in February and up to two in March.

• Advertisement

well that was the plan anyway

i think they'll accelerate that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

What do we think now after the grand reopening just announced?! Be an interesting few weeks. My missus works as a new case officer in DSP and is loving it but it's all been remote so far. She's hoping it'll continue at least 3 days WFH. My own EO role isn't paper based or customer facing so I'm hoping management will allow us to remain flexible. I have two hours extra per day and my local coffee shop sees far more of me for lunch so win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭billyhead

I would imagine Dper will put in place the blended working guidance fairly swiftly and we will all be encouraged to return asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd guess that there are some people working furiously on some urgent updates to guidance as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just as I was beginning to enjoy covid, its over and I'm back to facing the commute.

Life's not fair. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

I dont want to work a full 5 days in the office. The last 2 years have showed that I dont need to be in the office to do the work I do. I really hope we dont end up in a situation where we HAVE to go back just to have bodies on seats. I honestly only want to do 2 days a week in the office max and a lot of my colleagues are the same. We have taken on a lot of new staff in my area over the last 2 years and a good number of them are living in places where a daily commute would not be of interest to them due to the long travel time involved. The Civil Service is going to have to move with the times and incorporate wfh into any competitions they advertise if they want to get good quality staff. I totally get that wfh isnt for everybody but the vast majority would like to continue it in some form.

Id seriously considering leaving the CS and going for another job if they start to want to bring us in 3/4 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't know about the talent management argument here. If I was a slacker who did as little as possible, and knew I would have to work 3-4 days a week in the office versus another role where I can work 3-4 days at home, I would go for the home option every time as it's far easier to do. So lower "talent" would not be attracted by significant time on-site. A lot of people choose the C because they are committed to the nature of the work regardless, so some high performers will still choose the CS (though I agree, a lot less probably) even if it was full time in the office.

I do think full time or 4 days a week remote will be the career choice of less hard working individuals, as it's easier to get away with things remotely. That's absolutely not to say lots of people working fully remote don't work just as hard as (or even harder than) in the office - I am just pointing out that low performers will definitely gravitate towards as much remote as possible imo

The thing that will catch these "lower" performers out though, is that CS WFH positions are going to based on the role being done, not on the pattern of days in / days out the person holding the role wants to work.

Managers know who the dossers are. "Low" performers may find it hard to get their role approved for WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That's the problem with having a manager who doesn't know how to manage and deal remotely with people who aren't doing the work.

Manager has now decided we all need to be micromanaged and timed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Regardless of whether or not we need to be in the office to do our jobs, they don’t really care. I have heard that we will be required to be in three days a week.

Realistically, two years of WFH is not going to immediately overturn several decades of office tradition. In time I see it improving, but I think that there are too many people afraid of losing too much control, and not trusting their staff, pushing against it.

I heard 3 days aswell of which 1 of those has to be all members of you're unit/section.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I've only just started in Civil service and currently WFH but sounds like position will involve a lot of paperwork on site. Really hoping will have blended options too.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

Nothing really new on this article Irish Times Article (https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/f%C3%B3rsa-trade-union-seeks-assurances-over-return-to-workplace-1.4783641) but FORSA seem to be be seeking assurances over the return to the workplace.

"Fórsa said they were assured by DPER officials that any return to workplaces will be phased, and that Fórsa representatives will be consulted on the changes."

"Fórsa also called for work to begin on a long-term protocol for public service “blended” working, which was accepted by DPER.

"Talks on this blended model started in late September but lost some momentum when the last phased return to work was stalled later in autumn."

This is also the FORSA link on the return to work announcement on their website (https://www.forsa.ie/forsa-moves-on-in-new-covid-era/ Again nothing out of the ordinary in it really.

"Fórsa also said that arrangements for a phased return to work must be sensitive to the fact that many workers will have to make significant changes to longstanding arrangements for care, transport and other matters in order to return to the workplace."

"The union has consistently argued that the benefits of remote and blended working – for workers, their employers and public service delivery – should not be lost. In this regard, Fórsa stressed the need to reinvigorate work on a long-term protocol for public service ‘blended’ working, and this was accepted by DPER."

An interesting few weeks and months ahead to see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Forsa calling for work to begin on a remote working protocol? So they haven't started on it yet and Forsa aren't going ballistic over this?

The more time passes from the "end" of the pandemic to the introduction of the protocol, the worse it will be for those who want to WFH. Once people start returning to offices, momentum around WFH will be lost and useless managers will be able to return to the comfort of the old ways. Employee requests for remote working using the fact that they worked effectively from home during Covid will be dismissed with "ah that's a long time ago now".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Useless managers. Spot on. There’s quite a few in my place walking around since Friday evening with a horn on them that would beat a donkey out of a quarry.

What do you call a manager who goes to work early, goes home late and works weekends.

A lazy bastard.

Or a miser😁 to cut down on electricity bills. There's a running joke of some managers staying late in the winter to avail of the heating and they bring the dinner in to be microwaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

This is measuring productivity solely by time in seat. Which implies a lack of meaningful real productivity metrics, output etc. More over no desire to have any. Also a desire to waste lots of time commuting. It's using time as inefficiently as possible.

It's painting a picture but not the one you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You can see that in the number of places that couldn't move away from paper based processes or move to online service delivery. Says all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Frostynight

I got an email the other day internally saying that despite the new restrictions, the previous plan of a return in March is still in place. It's 5 days in the office or 3 days in the office. I'll do the 3 in the office. I'm not in a public-facing role and I started completely WFT and it's going well. I've a fair bit of a commute which I won't love. I cook and tidy up more when I'm not sitting on public transport. We have flexibility of hours so on the rare time I need a GP appointment or a cut at the barbers, I can do it. I'd like to keep some of that.

Advertisement