Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

NPHET will go after the pubs again but won't shut them. They'll make up some sort of nonsense rule that makes opening unviable. This is how our broke country doesn't have to pay the PUP.

LVA and the RAI brought this on themselves with their weak leadership. LVA were bought off with Minimum Pricing for alcohol. And that Cummins weasel was bought off with future gig somewhere.

I have absolutely zero sympathy for any businesses that enforced the Covid Passport. Zip.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

To think 2019 downwards you could actually plan a night out unrestricted and no way was any of this current affairs in our thoughts

Our neighbours in the UK back to 2019 times and loving life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not quite. There are strikes on the London Underground for the next 2-3 weekends 😖

So here we are once again, hospitality been a target and will now be only allowed operate till 8pm each night (last orders 7.15-7.30)

Suppose places that do a decent day trade will be OK and with it been the holidays places might be busy enough up . January could be a bleak month for places especially with very little sport on

No way NPHET will agree to let hold of its grip for the 31st Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Spot on, but the vintners themselves have to protest the VFI and LVA to make them more accountable in denouncing this crap. If they're not and happy to suckle the €1k per week shut up money, I can't blame them - but that lolly will soon expire too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The vintner's association have proven themselves completely useless as a representative body during all this, but what do you expect them to do? "Open pubs or we'll ______________?" Fill in the blanks for me....

It was really nice of the Netherlands, Denmark and Wales to help Tony conduct his evil plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

Evil grip. Sick of reading tin foil hat stuff like this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Problem with these threads is above not once did the lad say evil grip but someone will come along and add to it to make it sound worse than it is to try slag him off, then all of a sudden it's been blown out to what you wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Last night was the worst night I've had behind a bar in some time. It wasn't helped by the government making the announcement to change hours in the middle of the week as staff had been given the night off when we had assumed it was just a standard enough holiday season Saturday. So short staffed and crazy busy we had to rely on the goodwill that happens during the festive season, that's a thing right? Well, it didn't go well. People kicked up stinks about delays, rules (that we didn't put in place, the government did) and anything else that came to mind. I'm sitting here, thankfully off today, with no voice from having to repeatedly explain why you couldn't come up to the bar to get a drink (what rock did you climb out from under to come to the pub btw?), oh and could you put your mask back on while going to your table that you should have worn when you shouldn't, but did approach the bar, then having to almost individually explain the closing hours that have been in place for a couple of weeks now at the end of the night.

Seriously people, we're all sick of it. We all want to be back to normal but we obviously aren't right now. If you are going out to meet some friends over the next week or two, can you keep in mind that THAT is the important part, getting to see friends and family and enjoy each other's company. The alcohol and food are just the accompaniments, it isn't the end of the world if they're a little delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

just realized, there's nothing stopping pubs from doing some take-away pints even if they have to get people out by 8pm

• Advertisement

Having the 8pm rule until at least February means that a lot of companies that might have opted to postpone until the new-year have simply cancelled. As for the day trade a lot of that would have been tourists, but I am in no doubt that a lot of them will have been cancelling in droves as well.

Update: O'Neill's, the sort of place I would expect to cater for the daytime/tourist trade, has shut up shop.

Post edited by PommieBast on

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Probably not the correct forum but does anyone know what the deal is with Hotels? If your a resident does the 8pm curfew come into affect?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tony Manero

From gov.ie

Measures will come into effect from 20 December (midnight on Sunday night):

• All restaurants, bars and cafes, excluding take-away or delivery services, will close at 8pm. This will also apply to hotel restaurants and bars, except for overnight residents

So the answer to your question is no it doesn`t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Residents bar till 11.30 we were told there for a hotel in Ennis we're stayin on 31st dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭morphy87

So can a pub stay open till it’s normal time and sell drinks for takeaway? A pub near me has a big outdoor seating area near the pub, it’s also a shop, so technically could he sell drinks in the pub for takeaway and people drink them in the covered outdoor area adjacent to the shop?

A friend of mine sent me a pic earlier from a pub down the country where they were still serving after 9. Place looked busy enough. I say you will get a few pubs who will still operate behind closed doors and you cant blame them either the way they have been treated the last 20+ months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭morphy87

Listening to the commissioner on crime call, he was asked about this and he said premises were very compliant, I reckon out the county unless a complaint comes in pubs won’t be too strict on this

your right they have been treated disgracefully the last 20 months

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

it probably could, tho there is supposed a rule of being at least 100m away from the premises to drink it, never saw many pubs letting people actually sit in outside areas, most had groups huddled a bit away or seating on a nearby bench

going to be a fun week with NPHET basically making the decision

No reason why place can't open normal times from next Monday 24th but this is a NPHET Government after all and logic is not a strong point

I dont like the way it mentions, whats the difference between 8 and 10 closing, should be back to normal trading hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Tony says people have enough drank by 10pm, time to go home then. also he you to just go for dinner and 1 glass of wine, then home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Back to normal hours very soon. Cases expected to drop like a stone.

is anybody else feel they could be instutionalised by all this? i actually can t help but feel seriously anxious that we actually are not going to get free, r else it will be just temporary til late summer when restrictions come back. my head is melted, i cant actually comprehend normal life again.what the fuccck is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭hynesie08

No, not even remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Even allowing trading until 11pm or even 12 is a nonsense now. Open full hours & be done with worthless tinkering.

We'll find out this week if NPHET really have an anti-pub bias

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Nah. Sure we've always had silly rules with alcohol here.

Wouldn't surprise me. This 8pm curfew and how it was bought in at very short notice vindicated my decision to move from Dublin to London.

its all quite emotional to be honest!

• Advertisement

Almost a tear in the eye tonight seeing the news and times are about to become 'normal again'

Its going to feel so weird for the next few weeks but slowly we will get back to old times, remember drink responsibly (its not a **** race and you dont have to be out by xx time) and remember we lived through such a weird time that future generations will be learning about

lets raise to glass for our lost souls, they siad 'this Too Shall Pass' and tis beginning to pass

https://youtu.be/Qw024t1tDrA

Advertisement