Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballintyre Square

• 02-12-2020 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,
    I am currently looking to buy an apartment in Ballintyre Square on Ballinteer Avenue. There isn't much about it on the threads here(or anywhere). Was wondering if anyone has any experience buying or renting in that development?

Are there any structural issues?

Social issues perhaps ?

Any help/ sharing of experiences will be appreciated.

Comments

I rented an appartment there. Best apartment I ever rented, really warm and well finished. The grounds are kept immaculately well, and it's nice and quiet and well serviced with Marley Park on your doorstep.

But just before we left, which was about 4 years ago, there was something about the roofs having to replaced, or maybe underpinning the foundation? I'm suprised I forget but there was something.

I'm sure someone here can tell you, and an estate agent is obliged to tell you if they ask so make sure you do and get the answer in writing.

It was our landlord who told us there would be works luv they don't seem to have happened in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 abhishek8720

Thanks a lot. I have been told that the roofing work is now done, but there are some outstanding fire compliance issues still pending.

Did you ever feel there was any anti social activity in the vicinity that would have bothered you?
    I rented an appartment there. Best apartment I ever rented, really warm and well finished. The grounds are kept immaculately well, and it's nice and quiet and well serviced with Marley Park on your doorstep.

But just before we left, which was about 4 years ago, there was something about the roofs having to replaced, or maybe underpinning the foundation? I'm suprised I forget but there was something.

I'm sure someone here can tell you, and an estate agent is obliged to tell you if they ask so make sure you do and get the answer in writing.

It was our landlord who told us there would be works luv they don't seem to have happened in the meantime.

Thanks a lot. I have been told that the roofing work is now done, but there are some outstanding fire compliance issues still pending.

Did you ever feel there was any anti social activity in the vicinity that would have bothered you?

No, def not.

Lots of drunk young wans during longitude but sure we've all been there.

Me and my wife would have walked separately back from balally luas all the time and at night without any fear

Thanks a lot, that's pretty reassuring. I guess I will have to wait for surveyor to tell me if all is well for me to proceed!
    No, def not.

Lots of drunk young wans during longitude but sure we've all been there.

Me and my wife would have walked separately back from balally luas all the time and at night without any fear

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jerry Fireball Mudflap

The development has had pyrite issues in the past ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057631296

...and I seen a house recently up for auction (last month I think) within Ballintyre that was being sold cheap as it had pyrite (category 2 from what I can remember).

So worth keeping that in mind!

• Advertisement

Thanks. I did ask the EA about pyrite, and she said it isn't a problem in the apartments, but the houses. But then again, a green cert is the only thing that can potentially give me the confidence. :)
    The development has had pyrite issues in the past ...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057631296

...and I seen a house recently up for auction (last month I think) within Ballintyre that was being sold cheap as it had pyrite (category 2 from what I can remember).

So worth keeping that in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kat.mc

Thanks. I did ask the EA about pyrite, and she said it isn't a problem in the apartments, but the houses. But then again, a green cert is the only thing that can potentially give me the confidence. :)

Hi there,

Did you end up buying in Ballintyre? I'm looking into buying there at the moment and I would like to speak to a current owner.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

I'm also looking here

anyone got any comments?

Hey,

Sorry no. I couldn't proceed with the sale. Too many issues rolled into one.

At present the apartments are selling to cash buyers only as far as I know.

Just been told that there is outstanding fire safety work needed

cost unknown

timing unknown

I think it could be a deal breaker sadly

anyone know anything more about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Sumaire

Looking at a Ballintyre apartment at the moment and the EA has advised that fire safety work is required on the blocks and Indigo, the management company, agreed at the last AGM that all owners would be subject to a levy between €15-20k. This is likely to be due over the next 24-36 months. Unsure of the works required or the schedule or potential disruption to occupants.

Its a huge chunk of savings to have to set aside. So likely to pull out of the bidding process.

We possibly looked at the same one, a 3 bed penthouse

I called the management company and they couldn’t give an estimate for the penthouses

also the work in the penthouses is internal hallway as well as the communal areas in the block. That would be more disruptive.

they have no timetable for doing this work

It's been like that for more than a year now. Also what doesn't help is that the estate is tainted with Pyrite issue and there is a pyrite levy too. So unknown fire compliance issue cost coupled with pyrite levy means the banks are not willing to lend. Had to back out of a lovely 3 bed because of that. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Thinking of buying an apartment here too, although not specific to development assume that the scheme to fix defective apartments should derisk the purchase to some extent.

Anyone any further along on the thought process?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

Lots of apartments for sale appeared in this development in 1 week period , I am guessing there is some sort of news here.I really like the location , not sure if I should risk

• Registered Users Posts: 5 perfumy

Hi, I've heard its best not to go near these as there are still huge roof issues, pyrite issues, not to mention fire issues and cash buyers should definitely be beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 perfumy

Sorry, should have mentioned that the banks won't lend on these either so you would have to be a cash buyer and there's obviously clear reasons why the banks won't lend on them and haven't done for years now. Definitely well overpriced for cash buyers to part with hard earned cash especially if you are thinking about downsizing for your retirement and hoping to leave in peaceful bliss as the works that need to be done on these would most likely impact on that part of your plan in terms of noise and cracks in your walls and ceilings from all the work that needs to be done.

Definitely not for me but I'm sure any of the greedy landlords selling will be delighted to take hard earned cash so they can walk away into the sunset while you've just wasted a lifetimes work that you'll never get back. A lot of auctioneers buy investment properties themselves and as they instigated the property crash just as much as the banks, getting 'stung' is pay back for them but not for those of us who need to purchase wisely so don't be fooled. If your bank won't lend you the money then walk away!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bea468

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know is there an update on these apartments? Currently considering placing an offer on an apartment in Ballintyre but after reading this I'm not so sure... Estate agents weren't able to tell me anything.

Advertisement