Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fork mounted bike rack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

I've seen fork mounts in the bed of pick up truck in America. They seem solid

What would the advantage be of this roof rack over one where you can leave the front wheel on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If they're going on the roof then none. Same height restriction and you've to find room in the boot for front wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I much prefer fork mounted racks. More stable that the wheel mount ones and no need to be clamping the frame.

I bought a pair of these last year https://www.micksgarage.com/d/bike-racks/products/3518295/pure-instinct-roof-fork-fixing bit cheaper than Thule.

Bought Aguri aero roof bars to mount them to. Relatively quiet at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

I've only used wheel mounted ones, but I've not noticed much instability, or at least nothing I'd be concerned about.

Clamping the frame is probably only an issue with a carbon frame, and even then it's not really an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I have cheap Halfords wheel mount ones that were given to me. They’re fine but the bike can slide forward about 6 inches sometimes unless I take extra care and apply additional restraints. I don’t use it much except maybe summer hols.

If I was buying I think I would go with fork mount system over wheel mount.

But if I was buying I think I would go the distance and get tow hitch system. Roof mount always makes me a bit nervous when I think of car park entrances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Yeah I was thinking they seem more stable. That one is sold out in Mick's is sold out. Will give the thule one a go. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a 25 plus year old thule one, still works !

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭casion3

Hi there how do you find this one.

On bikeinn reduced. A bit cheaper than the thule. Easy to use and seem solid?

Hi

Yeah it's grand. Works well. The only thing I must do is replace the skewers that came with them as the thread on them is a bit coarse. I'll just switch to standard skewers. It is set up to be Abe to take bolt through, quick release and other types of front hubs but I just have standard quick release.

Thanks for getting back so soon.

I am on QR as well.

I think you need adaptors for the other type.

I know lads who have the brand for other bike racks and seem fine so will take the plunge. A bit cheaper than the thule

• Advertisement

Just saw this. I can't actually remember what adapters it came with. Will check tomorrow night what's in the shed.

Did you get a chance to look in the shed. Also wondering this

Sorry forgot to check but just checked now and there aren't any extra adapters that came with it. It came with normal quick release road bike adapters. Looking at the manual the optional extras are for 12x100, 15x100, 15x110, 20x110. Having said that the adapters are pretty simple and if you had access to a lathe they could easily be made.

Yeah thanks. Saw that in the manual alright.

Fairplay.

Thanks for the info. Just happy to find our someone has used one and the bike is still alive.

Order placed!

Advertisement