Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Witcher - Netflix **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

For some people it might get better, you never know unless you watch the whole thing. Especially after thoroughly enjoying an excellent first season, and considering there is an overarching story from multiple books that will be in future seasons there is a certain amount of investment involved. Same situation for me, the first half of season 2 was quite good and I enjoyed it, but the second half was a major dip in quality and I found it a bit of a slog to get through. I'll cetainly be watching season 3, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I caught up with Season 2 over the weekend, I definitely enjoyed but after 2 seasons I still feel the show is still in prologue mode and hasn't actually got to the story yet. I am finding it difficult to keep track of the names too and if any show was in need a GoT style mappening credits, it's this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally finished this up and I liked the season overall more than I did the first. Perhaps less "monster of the week" but the story gripped me enough to go with the more serialised format this time.

Yes agree with this, and it's definitely the show's biggest weakness. There are too many factions and too many names to keep track sometimes - especially when characters would reference others we barely met (basically most of the Rodenia[sic] cast). Made worse by that common habit with the sound mix to have mumbled, sometimes muffled dialogue. When names and places are mostly made up it was hard to keep track sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I love this series.

Watched the final season 2 episode yesterday. I really liked that it wasn’t magic spells or violence that saved Ciri but rather the people who cared about her calling her back and Yennifer being willing to give her own life.

very unexpected in a story where magic and violence solves everything.

I’m very surprised that I am remembering which faction is which and who is each side.

I was confused when the other Witcher appeared. I thought they all white hair and yellow eyes from the creation process.

Is Geralt hair just white because he allows had that colour hair? Why do only he a Vasemirnhave yellow eyes?

• Advertisement

Geralt was able to handle further mutations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was a neat finale; at first I was a bit underwhelmed it wasn't some big CGI showdown but as you said, focused instead on Geralt stepping up and showing Ciri she was loved and supported in the real world; even those Witchers who had made her life hell showed a little vulnerability.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Well they did give us a battle monsters during it all.

Do you think the Witcher’s put Ciri through hell? The bald black guy was more friendly although he did allow the hostility of big ginger one to go unchecked but they all welcomed her eventually. The teasing went too far but wasn’t done with malice - they just weren’t used to someone who wasn’t used to them.

I do sometimes feel during an episode that I need a course in Witcher 101 as there is a lot in the world that they don’t explain but at the same time I don’t want to be spoon-fed explanations.

Hopefully I will get to see the animated movie this week and I am looking forward to prequel mini series.

I’m sure there is a lot that can be done with the world of the Continent with other shows and films. I don’t mean a flood of it - but there is potential to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Robbie Amell, Meng’er Zhang, Hugh Skinner and Christelle Elwin join

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, had totally forgotten there was a prequel show on the way. Seemed to just get zero hype after the first trailer post Season 2 of the main show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold on.. am I forgetting a trailer for this prequel show?

I am..

The Witcher: Blood Origin - Official Teaser Trailer (2022) Sophia Brown, Michelle Yeoh

Although.. I'm blanking so much, I'm not sure if I saw it or not.. surely I did.. I dunno.

It came up once, played (I think) at the end of the Season 2 of Withers credits. Otherwise it has seen little traction and hype so not hard to figure why you missed it. typical Netflix silence - though weird as it's a spin off to one of its hits.

Ah yeah! Now I remember!

Still though.. looking forward to more Witcherverse. They're putting in work into the show consistently from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This is disappointing, I don't particularly care about his Superman, I'd much rather see him continue doing the Witcher but I suppose he did name his dog Kal-el. Not a lot of confidence in Liam Hemsworth although he is a lot younger, so they might get more out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭billyhead

It won't be the same. I might give season 4 a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Crap actor though.

Losing Cavill is a big blow, he was one of the few good points about the show.

That's dreadful news. Cavill did a lot with very little dialogue, using a lot of reactions and facial work.

And the replacement being the Lesser Hemsworth, presumably pulling a code English accent? Blergh that's underwhelming to say the least.

Bet Netflix aren't happy. This was a big hit for them I think, with those spin offs showing some committment to expand the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

It looks like part of his reasoning could be him trying to get the showrunners to keep to the source material. There was an article a while ago where they said they hated the books and the games. DC obviously are paying him a pretty sum too and didn't Netflix own his likeness for a while too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Might as well stop after season 3, or put it on the backburner until Cavill is available again. That's even if he wants to since the writers went with including some of their own much weaker material for season 2 instead of following the books closely like they initially said they would. I presume he's going back to Superman for a while, but giving Geralt to someone else is a stupid idea and will be the death knell for the show, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Sounds like Henry jumped at the right time, noticed on Twitter he's butted heads with the showrunners for their decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,334 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I’d definitely rather not see a season 4 at all than see one with Geralt played by anyone but Henry Cavill. He’s completely owned that role and is 100% irreplaceable. It’s just a bit of an insult to see such a mediocre actor get that role to top it all off.

The fact that Cavill doesn’t want anything to do with season 4 would probably put me off even giving it a chance to begin with.

Urgh... I mean like.. Cavill being a big fan of the show and carrying it along was a huge selling point for it.

My gut response is to see if the dodgy exec behaviour from the DC / Warner Bros studios can be infectious enough to take down both Witcher and probably do a crap job of bring Cavill back to Superman.

Saying that though.. I haven't seen his latest appearance in the DC universe... maybe he's gonna bring some of that Witcher intensity over there.

I'm just shocked Netflix announced a season 4 without it also being the last. There's always time; not big long term investors that lot.

Also wonder it leaves Blood Origin cos they had been curious by a total absence of promotion, hype or anything resembling interest from Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I just read Cavills instagram message, he is always so polite. The Witcher will be lesser without his presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow shocked Cavill has left as he was a fan of the project and on big bucks, was he also producer, guess DC tights were calling him loudly and if some of the writing wasn't source material he must have felt justified

The other two Hemsworth brothers would have achieved the look better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I enjoyed season 1, but season 2 was just crap tbh, surprised he stayed on to do season 3. I guess we will just have to wait and see if they deviate as much this season to see what was the most likely the cause of his departure. I'm sure he could have juggled both if he really wanted to, Netflix would have bent over backwards to keep him..

All i can remember from season 2 really was Ciri trying to do that dumb obstacle course, straight out of a gladiators tv show.. woeful stuff.. Why do these companies keep giving stuff like this to people that have no respect or love to the source material? 🤯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

A lot of TV shows had excellent first season, good second and then as time went so did the show...

For me personally up to 3 anything more is getting repetitive and boring. Not to mention that there are years between them and when you get to season 3 you are better off to rewatch all of it again in order to continue watching another one. Some TV shows you can watch several times but the more of them you watch the more of your time is gone trying to keep up.

Advertisement