Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cannondale Synapse launch

• 18-01-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭

I see the long-awaited new Cannondale Synapse launched today. It looks nice and I'm interested as I own the previous version and I'm a big fan. Reading the reviews it sounds great too. Even has a threaded BB.

Until you read the small print of 9.89kg for the 4499€ Ultegra version.

Very disappointed that today's cycling media seems to exist only to get sponsored content from bike brands. Road cc, GCN, Bike Radar anywhere just fawning over this bike because it is a few percent more aero and has the most useless integrated lights I've ever heard of. No one at all questioning any value for money, pointless innovations etc. It can't even take a saddle bag.

105 disc version cost me 1199€ a few years ago (I'd guess 2018). Ok it was in a sale but that is now 3499.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

"9.89kg for the 4499€ Ultegra version."

<cough splutter>

Wha??? How???? What the fluck is it made of??? 😳

Cannondale were one of the first to up their prices when covid hit by 12% if I recall. Crazy prices for what they are in a lot of the builds/specs

Cannondale frames in general these days look like absolute dog poo when you see them online but when you see them in real life they are actually quite easy on the eye. Our local LBS seems to be stocking them now so I've seen a few around lately and was surprised how nice the frames looked compared to the pictures online.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have no idea but my Genesis Croix de Fer (Steel forks and all) wouldn't be much more if I put road tires on it

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I can't wait for the fashion trend of dropped stays to end. Hate it.

Saw Dave Arthur video earlier and he had the Dura Ace version £9k stg. Ffs. If it' nearly 10 kg to the Ultegra one you have to ask WTF???

Ha, I had the 2015 Ruta del Sol on earlier (it's what Tiz Cycling were streaming today ) when my dad called in and the first thing he mentioned was the lack of dropped stays 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I dont see what the big deal is about cannodales, over priced and cheap looking. Ive seen some in a shop and the finish on them was appaling. That bike is awful looking and nearky 10kg at nearly 4.5k. Not a hope. I wouldnt even pay 2.5k for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

yeah up there with the Trek Domane in terms of weight and price....my old (2014)Canyon Endurace CF was 2.3k for a full Campag chorus group and weighs 7.2 w/o pedals...ok its rim brakes😁

was thinking of upgrading to a specz roubaix but the (di2) ultegra model has gone up by more than a grand over the old Di2 model 😮, another Canyon looks on the cards ....whenever stock improves ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bought a 2019 synapse with ultegra di2 on a sale in 2020 (mainly cos I couldn't get a canyon endurace )

great bike but prices for 2020 models on are shocking.

and dropped stays are just awful.

although it says it has threaded BB not bb30 which is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Should we applaud them for going back to using a standard size seat post in a time when everyone has their own proprietary seat posts, handlebars and stems?

The Garmin Varia lights and radar seem pointless, nothing to do with the bike and just added cost for those who don't want it.

Presenters spew the same bullet points for literally every bike they do a piece on. It's all just advertising, they'll all say how fun it is, how stiff it is blah blah. Pointless ad piece. I don't follow bike reviews regularly, so to me it's all just in one ear and out the other when every bike is just as light and stiff as the last.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭JMcL

I did choke somewhat when I say they're asking £3200 for a 105 spec bike, and as did think where the eff is the saddlebag supposed to go as somebody else noted. I hadn't even noticed it was nearly 10kg 🙄 It's probably not that long ago that you could pick up a DA spec bike for that or not much more!

• Advertisement

Definitely overpriced at the moment but they ride brilliantly. A lot of Cannondales have a cult following because of the ride quality. I've ridden a CAAD 12 and 13 and both are beautiful bikes. I know fellas that have had CAADs for over 10 years and they are still going strong. Most people I hear complaining about Cannondales have never been on one and are going purely on looks, and most who love them have ridden them blissfully for years. I presume you are referring to the industrial welds? They are not to everyone's taste but I do like them.

The early reviews are definitely all just puff. There is no way anyone has actually done any riding on one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I thought I read somewhere that Cannondale were phasing out the Synapse. Granted, it was a few years ago when they launched the Supersix Evo in 2016/2017.

I have the HiMod Synapse Disc from 2017 and it's a beast of a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

From window shopping, that isn't that far out of line at the moment for 105 bikes, whatever about the weight. Personally, I've always thought Cannondales were overpriced (including my own Topstone* tbh). That's before you get into BB's and rear wheel dishing...

*I like it, but they skimped on a heavy FSA BB and crankset. To quote Sleeper, it's an inbetweener - compared to how much I love my TCR!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

never mind that. Threaded BB. That's a plus for me.

Advertisement