Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bathtub in bedroom

Options
  • 18-01-2022 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi,

I wanted to install a 2 person whirlpool bath in a converted attic (2nd floor) guest bedroom. Quite a heavy thing I'm sure, so I'll be getting an engineer to assess the structural suitability before buying anything.

Is there anything I should be wary of? Any regulations around how far it needs to be from electric sockets etc? I never really seen this done other than in hotels.

And yes, I know it's silly. I'm only asking for advice on how to get it done not on whether to do it.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Major extract fan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dampness, ventilation, structural integrity of the attic floor, catching leaks and overfill.

didtance to sockets should be covered in IS10101.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Ideally you would keep it up against an external wall for the drain to run to outside plus your water pressure will need to be decent enough to feed that on the 1st floor but my main thought would be can you actually get that bath up the stairs and into the room? Sounds obvious but likely to be quite difficult if its an attic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Kurooi

Yeah I have quite a handy situation going there is already a high pressure water hot and cold, and drainage just next to it.

Correct on bringing it up that will be a bit of a hurdle. Dimensions are OK , I'll check weight.

Thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Before you go to the expense, will you use it?

We put a two person corner whirlpool bath in the main bathroom when we were doing renovations. It looks lovely but its become an expensive and luxurious dog bath. Its rarely used by the humans in the house. It takes so long to fill up. And if you are not careful, you can have mutant bubbles spreading around the house because the jets and bubble bath are a crazy combination!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Oh yeah don't forget to check the capacity of your hot water cylinder vs the new bath too, ive seen some tiny (half normal size) copper cylinders in 3 bed houses up for sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That'd be a lot of steam in a bedroom ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement