Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Merlin Car Auction

Options
  • 24-02-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Looking to buy a small litre car around 500e at the Merlin Auction place, never bought a car this way just wondering what advice is needed tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Unless you know what your at id stay away from the auctions especially for a car for such small money

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Better off finding someone who wants rid of a car worth more than that but wants it gone. Cheap cars are a minefield. You don't want to buy one from someone who's more clued in than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Keep in mind there are obviously fees (vat and their own fees) to be paid on top of whatever you spend.

I've never been to Merlin to tell you the truth but used to go to Mullingar auctions with a mate when I was down there with him. Some ropey as furak still there for under a grand..and not just because its Mullingar

Is this a car to keep or sell on? (if you dont mind me asking)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Thought it better to bump an old thread than start a new one.

I see a car being auctioned at Merlin that's listed as "main dealer direct". I've been warned off auctions a couple of times, and bought an absolute lemon of a BMW in Merlin many years ago. Would the involvement of a main dealer add any comfort at all to those familiar with the process? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It really just sort of means that the car hasn't been bouncing through the trade and there's been no takers, it's effectively straight from the last private owners possesion to the auction.

Have bought a few cars from Merlin, mostly from the main dealer direct stuff, IMO private entrys are best avoided. They are very easy to deal with and i'd highly recommend them. You can get some great bargains on a given day but you will often see people getting carried away and paying way over retail too.

As above though, if you aren't super clued in to cars in general you could be bitten very hard very easily and they make it very clear that when the hammer falls, the car is yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

I’ve bought a few cars from Merlins. Almost all of them had issues. Everyone tells me to stay away from them. Apparently they have people working there bidding you up if your not a regular. I think Wilsons are better to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭standardg60

Bought a few from them too, mostly successful but there are certain criteria i always follow.

My biggest annoyance is the 'proxy' bid, which allows you to set your highest bid beforehand online and the 'system' will bid on your behalf up to that amount automatically. But the auctioneer simply starts the bidding at your maximum!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In 2016 I was looking at buying a 2005 Honda CRV. There was nice looking one advertised by a dealer in Dublin for €4000. Seemed to expensive to me, but as I was on a trip to Dublin anyway one day, I though I'd call them to have a look at the car, only to find out the car is gone.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and the same car showed up advertised by Merlin Car auctions.

Decided to give it a go, and travelled there on a day of the auction. They allowed me to look at the car including starting the engine, but test drive was not possible. Obviously this way I could check for basic stuff like scratches, dents, rust, any previous body repairs, leaks, engine condition, etc... Couldn't check any moving parts really like suspension, gearbox (it was automatic so possible expensive repair), etc.

Started bidding giving myself a limit to €2000. Arrived at €2000 and was outbid by someone who gave €2100. Went home with nothing.

Same evening I got a list after the auction that car was not sold, as it didn't reach sellers minimum price.

It was again back on auction few days later.

This time I tried again (online - from home), going slightly higher to €2200 and car was mine.

Adding auction fees came at around €2500 total.

Picked up the car next week. It has a problem with seized rear brake calipers, but beside it it's been running great ever since, and it's still in everyday use up to this day. Travelled nearly 100k kilometres since I got it. In the mean time I moved to Poland, and car is used here on Polish roads. This gave me extra €1500 from VRT refund so car came up eventually really cheap.

But that's just one lucky story - can't say that every car purchased from Merlin will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is there any way (after the auction) to find out how much cars sold for?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Merlin sell their last 3 months of sold prices online for €5.

• Advertisement
Advertisement