Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Murder of Jastine Valdez v Ashling Murphy, why the media discrepancy ?

• 18-01-2022 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

I don't recall multiple vigils, minutes silences on national radio stations or wall to wall media coverage about the late Jastine Valdez after she was murdered, what I remember is that the media actually talked more about her killer and his land rover rather than about the lady herself.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

Without Googling I'm assuming she was the lady who the guy in the Jeep had abducted and killed(wasn't her shot in the Jeep).

Sure even closer to now was the lady stabbed in the neck in Dublin near the IFSC... That was during the day and could have been anyone.

It's more to do with the crusaders and social media now. Things went into overdrive after George Floyd. The problem with a lot of the outpouring was it was made into more than just Aisling.. I remember one vigil said "for Aisling...(ok that's nice) and violence by men against women (sic)... (sigh)"

I don't think there's been much less in base reporting. It's all this side tracking into silly areas of conversation that's different and ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Honestly I think it's because Aisling was Irish and the other two ladies were not.

That's not right but that is the reality.

Back in 2013 a woman and her 8 year old daughter, yes 8 year old, were brutality stabbed to death in their home in Killorglin Co.Kerry.

How many remember it ?

Can anyone remember their names ?

They were Lithuanian by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WillYizCopOn

I agree whole-heartedly. Why has there been a media frenzy over Aisling Murphy's death and not other women who suffered a similar fate. No disrespect to the Murphy Family. As for Sam McConkey's comments....I can't even go there

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I'm sure most people mean well. In my opinion it's because of the timing of this, as we near the end of the pandemic, people need to be involved in the next big thing , I.e. the crusade for action about men on women violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In Jastine's case the guy was dead the next day and there was less connection to Ireland. At the root of it people globally are generally all pretty parochial. By 3 and 4 degrees, half of the country are probably linked in one way or another to the Murphy family, which brings home the "it could have been me" aspect of the senselessness of this and the desire to show solidarity.

For most people their emotional reaction to any incident like this reflects how much the victim(s) resemble them. How "easily it could have happened to me". Jastine was a foreign citizen taking a lonely bus home. "That could never be me, I drive or get a bus with friends".

It's not a latent racism, it's a natural human reaction that seeks to detach ourselves the true brutality and finality of death through denial. The more distance between us and the victim, the easier it is to deny that it could have been us.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What the hell do you think you are doing starting another thread on this?

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement