Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork to Dublin commute

Options
  • 18-01-2022 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this commute. I have just been offered a job in Dublin and while not fully remote, they only want me in the office once a week. I live in Cork city and the office would be in Dublin, near enough to Smithfield. Would this be doable? I know doing this daily would be madness but I am toying with the idea of once a week.

All feedback appreciated!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Its not something i would look forward to every week. Would it be regular 9-5 hours or would they allow you to work 8-4?

Regardless i would be using the park and ride at the Red Cow. Luas drops you straight to Smithfield. In no way would i be trying to drive into the city centre!

As i said if you could get in and out outside regular rush hour that would be very doable. Rush hour in Dublin lasts a lot longer than an hour and the Naas road can be quite busy from 7 on.

Once a week if the job is worth it!! I'd go for it if i was you

Train to heuston be grand once a week id say

• Registered Users Posts: 20 urban_nudist

Just over 2 hours on the train either way and a 10-12 minute walk from heuston to Smithfield, once they're committed to once per week long term and won't turn around when restrictions ease and ask for extra office days it should be something that you can manage

• Registered Users Posts: 7 redcurrant89

It is a standard 9-5 job but fairly flexible, I don't think coming in earlier/later would be too much of an issue.

As others have commented, basically just wondering to myself if it's manageable. As I have been working from home for the past 2.5 years or so, the thought of a long drive once a week is nice but I know this is just rose-tinted glasses and all that.

"once they're committed to once per week long term and won't turn around when restrictions ease" - This is something I want on paper if I went ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Once a week totally fine but I would not drive it TBH, traffic will add at least an extra hour both ways. Get the train and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think the train be the best option... i expect you be able to do some work on the train so not waste time driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Train or bus will leave you within walking distance.

Either Heuston or Bachelor's Walk.

Bus is much cheaper than train, but you'll save on train tickets since you'll be planning your trips weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I used to be on the M8 a lot...Probably my favorite motorway. Sometimes felt like the only car in Ireland..😀

The fun starts just before Naas if you do drive...Train probably is a better option but for me i would be doing it in the car.

From late March till mid October that could be a nice drive if your times are flexible...Could use the train for the dark winter months.

Anyhow best of luck with it. Im stuck in the same place everyday now so a trip like that is actually appealing to me the more i think of it..I did start by saying i wouldn't look forward to that drive but i have totally flipped now 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

06:15 train from Cork + Luas from Heuston station to Smithfield would have you in work for 9am.

6pm train would have you back in Cork at 20:37.

It would cost €41.49 (train return) + €8.50 (parking) + €3.70 (Luas) = €53.69

How much earlier than 06:15 you need to be up to get ready, grab something to eat and get to the station depends on your own circumstances.

Is being up say 5am-ish and home 9pm-ish once a week is doable long term worth it for the job for you? Will the job remain mostly remote or will the number of days on site increase as CoViD work from home guidelines are wound down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As the others have said, once a week is do-able and a nice little trip to break life up, but needs to be set in stone incase management start to insist on more and more.

Edit: Two days per week would be the absolute, absolute maximum, three would make it implausible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

An ex-collegue did to a fairly regular twice a week jourmey. It was just about doable in terms of life/work balance but there were occassions when they had to stay overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

might be easier to do 2 days a fortnight and do them together with an overnight.

I'd have to ask what is so important on that one day a week that requires you to be in-person - perhaps once you're settled in you could drop back to "as-required" in the office rather than a strict once a week.

Isn't this it? There isn't anything really I would imagine bar old ideas of being in person I would say. I would think its more like to want to increase office participation instead of "as-required" as people return to the offices.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

FishOnABike gave you good information there on the train times for a normal work day. Though if your company offered flexible work hours for that day, it might be a bit more appealing, for example:

• Cork 7am - Dublin Hueston 9:30am - Smithfield by 10am
    • Smithfield 4:30 pm - Dublin Hueston 5pm - Cork by 7:30 pm

Obviously add the time it would take you to get too and from Kent station.

If they are just having you up for a bit of office participation, training and a few meetings, that might be sufficient. Specially if you could also work on the train, answer emails, etc. depending on the job.

I'd definitely take the train over the car, much more relaxing, can sleep, work, watch a movie. I'd highly recommend getting noise cancelling headphones, a god send for regular commutes like this.

You might want to work out the cost over a year of doing this, either by train, coach or car (Diesel + tolls + wear and tear) and check if it is worth it versus your current job, it might wipe out any pay increase you get from moving job.

BTW if you are booking the train far in advance, you can get it for €43 return, though need to add Luas + parking at Kent to that. You could be talking in the region of more then €2,000 per year.

I've a colleague who lives in Cork, we use to see him up about once every 6 months. Once you settle in the company might be willing to do something like that or even just once a month or every two weeks. Obviously depends on the job and company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

RE the cost, 50 euro travel cost a week for 50 weeks a year is 2,500 euro, or near 5,000 in pre tax money. Not small change.

This is a very good point alright. Will have to take it all into account. Salary would have to be at least 5+ up so

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Can you maybe buy point to point taxsaver tickets that might help too? Not sure if available on a single route like that but think they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

5K for the annual ticket from Cork to Dublin, you get tax relief on that but at one day a week it doesn't seem to be worth doing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

And really you might want to be making quiet a bit more then that extra, to make it worth the extra 7 hours extra a week you would be commuting. Lost time with family, lost time with friends or hobbys, etc. Also what day of the week do you have to go into the office, if a Friday that would suck, cut into your weekend and you would probably be quiet tired Saturday morning too.

Of course, there are other reasons beyond money, more interesting job, learn new skills, good for the CV, etc.

Just some points to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I know plenty of people who've had jobs that needed them to be in Dublin one day a week. They weren't remote workers, they just had senior jobs based in Galway/Limerick or Cork.

It's very doable but I'd negotiate that they pay for it somehow. E.g. a per diem rate for each day in Dublin, mileage allowance, or a company credit card so you can buy the train tickets easily

That would be ideal alright but I doubt a standard MNC would be up for a mileage allowance etc. I can always ask though.

Yep, the lost time is certainly something to factor in. Always hard to factor the lost time in terms of actual money. Sure I could put down the hour rate of the time lost, but it doesn't take into account a more interesting job etc.

Yeah, thinking a little bit more about how much extra you would need to earn.

So lets say they offer 5k extra per year compared to your current salary, you are just breaking even with the extra cost.

But lets say they even offer 10k more. So about €2,500 extra after the travel cost and tax. Which is about €208 extra net per month. But now think about this, you will be commuting an extra 28 hours per month. So you are basically valuing your time at €7.4 per hour net (208 / 28) or less then minimum wage.

Of course, if more interesting job, etc. that is hard to quantify, might still make it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I did the reverse journey by train for a couple of days a week for about four months in my 30s. It was tiring enough, but my generous employer provided the first class ticket, so I got breakfast and dinner at the seat, which broke up the journey and made use of the time.

You'd be crazy to drive it, definitely train or bus. To get to Smithfield, train is a no-brainer. I'd say one day a week is about the max you could do on an ongoing basis, depending on your personal energy and flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

I would look at the entire picture, not just the hours involved or the cost of the train ticket

With laptops, WiFi, cell phones etc…… your commuting time doesn’t have to be dead time. It could be the most productive 6 hours of the week

Use the day in Dublin to network, either internally with colleagues over lunch or reconnect with old friends/college roommates for a pint after work.

Maybe that one day in the office is a day when you can really show what you’re made of

They’re not asking you to come in for the good of your health….there’s obviously some perceived benefit to them of you being in Dublin one day a week

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

If you can get your boss to include your travel time as time in the office (if you're on your laptop that's what it is) then you could get a much earlier train back to Cork. That's what I was doing for one of my staff when we were in 1 day a week. Maybe not suggest it first week.

Rather than Luas get a Dublin Bikes membership, you'd be down in Smithfield in 5 minutes.

Just wondering, will this job open up many more opportunities for you in the future or is it a sideways move?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

the thought of a long drive once a week is nice

I do Dublin-Donegal-Dublin one day per week (not work related). While it's fine in summer, in winter it's a different story. Bear in mind that, in winter, you'll be doing both journeys in the dark and, if it's wet, it can be a lot more tiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I did Dublin to Cork once/twice a week for a year, OP. I got the train and it felt like a big journey at the beginning but once I settled into it and brought a book or my tablet with me, or even just a pair of earphones, it began to feel like an opportunity to relax and unwind after a long day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm living halfway between Cork and Dublin myself and have been approached by agencies for 2 jobs based in Dublin City Centre

One of them I rejected outright, having finally drawn out from the recruiter that they were expecting someone on site 3 days a week for nothing more than the chats

The second I did the interviews for and am waiting on feedback, but unless it pays SIGNFICANTLY more and has flexible times and no more than 1 day a week, I won't be taking it.

I did the occasional trip to Grand Canal in my last job and it took me as long to get from the M50 to the office as it did to get from the house to the M50 (as close to 2 hours total each way). I know some people here are advocating doing a hybrid commute or getting trains/buses but that just adds costs on top of a car I already have (and won't be getting rid of), and in my current job I have fully remote working and the freedom to drop into an office as I see fit rather than required. Sounds perfect right? Well maybe if the organisational structure and culture was a bit more mature it would be!

In any case, Dublin City Centre is a nightmare to get to/out of if you don't live in the city (and then you really need to live on a major bus route/LUAS line).

Advertisement