Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Claire Byrne Live (RTE1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Goodnight folks. Looking forward to another day tomorrow where only womens lives are valued

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Odin Whining Band-aid

Twitter is now the front door to everything. I ended up being interviewed on TodayFM re vaccine before Christmas on foot of a Tweet, and quoted over several media outlets. One or two tweets about recent events upped me abt 20 followers, though I think some of those are “keeping an eyes on me” as much as agreeing with me. But it is certainly the single most influential medium at the moment as it doesn’t take long to read a tweet and ideal for short attention spans. Alongside TikTok, it’s a viral kind of thing. Insta/FB are slow runners by comparison.

Post edited by recode the site on

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Now Correct me if I'm wrong...but this murder wasn't a result of domestic abuse...so a women's refuge is utterly irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Watching this on +1. Looks like the men who were killed or injured after stepping in to halt violence on women and other men have been wiped from history. The most cruel irony that this hive-mind crowd ignore or deny what they say they are asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Point I was making. Everything from gender pay inequality to mother and baby homes also got mentioned.

All causes for justice I'd completely agree but raised in the context of an innocent girl having her life taken is just incredibly crass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭thesandeman

The poor guy was probably only having problems getting his seatbelt to click in.

She probably scared the shíte out of him staring into his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it's appalling how her family are being treated by the media on Sunday the family went to walk along the canal and not alone did the media say it. They also showed it in pictures/videos.

All these people are on about respect for women, etc and that's fine however they can't seem to respect people themselves.

Yes, I know news needs to reported but I think there's a better way to do and there's also need to discuss issues.

Similarly I know of another tragic case where a family had a private funeral. The put the death up on RIP and said it was private. They gave no mass times, etc. They even turned off the camera in the Church and yet people showed up at the church trying to get in, . Similarly the media also turned up to photograph it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's very striking how "Social Media" are being named as the bad guys in all this Vulgar Hysteria when in fact its Established print and TV media who are and continue to be the real Trolls. RTE & VMN stand out for the vulgarity displayed. The Narrative is actually less about the actual henious crime and more about what They perceive as a societal issue.

The Blame game has been utterly shocking, the obsession in seeking to blame and shame all men has been appalling . Dragging, completely un related challenges women face into this Tradegy is disgraceful.

The Gardai too don't escape my critism, they inadvertently stirred up hysteria and its simply beggar's belief information on the first, entirely innocent suspect wasn't leaked or briefed by them, unless of course people think it was the Tooth Fairy. That (Doctor), Pat Leahy Fella is an utter clown and one of Claires go too "Experts' on her ghastly radio show.

The sight of Politicians, Campaign groups, Personalities jumping on the populist Bandwagon, is just vile and frankly vomit enducing.

This was clearly a Random attack and no amount of outrage and hysteria can change that, Talk of a Minister for women, review of School Slybus is utterly absurd and even Sam Mc Konkey weighed into the absurdity over the weekend, now that pandemic is winding down.

But of course, we all know, by Friday next, the, Narrative, Priorities, dare I say outrage and focus will move onto some other populist agenda.

The Past week has been a Stain on two fronts. The appalling Tradegy and the quite extraordinary (not in a good way) hijacking of this Tradegy by a populist and frankly narrow minded cohort of Politicians, Journalists, crass celebrities and focus lobby who should, but of course, won't be ashamed of themselves.

RIP Ashling Murphy 🙏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

Yep, it's insidious and quite frankly not a gauge of public opinion to any serious degree given it's usage.

I mean if media outlets/personality driven shows actually used Twitter with impartiality in mind they'd use it to find at minimum, some different opinions by the small amount of real life users on matters - we wouldn't have had to suffer yer man when his opinion was 'men, shut up' while presumably being one of the approved men not 'shutting up'

But the media (handily owned by corporate groups, rarely independent) don't, except to enforce certain narratives by using the odd, and I mean extremely odd opinion, against whatever spiel they are pushing. It's very rare to hear anyone other than the usuals and rarer to find actual serious opposing opinions discussed at any length with any seriousness.

Media, especially RTE, has become the broadcast version of Twitter.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

It's not all men, but it's always men says Keith.

Catchy lines for twitter is more important than facts with a lot of these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Odin Whining Band-aid

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The Taoiseach, President and Minister for Justice will all be at the funeral today. It seems excessive today especially as the family have asked for privacy after so much national attention

Will they be in attendance at every Funeral of a victim of Murder , Male of Female from now on 🤔 I doubt it very much .

Grandstanding, Populist nonsense, their attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I turned it off, the media exposure has turned this tragedy into a circus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RTE broadcasting live from Tullamore Court Hotel this morning should not be happening after family requested privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The Ministers for Arts and Education turned up also. It’s getting ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

This is terrible to witness, the whole occasion has been hijacked, it's been turned into a circus and a blatant use to promote ones own agenda.

Jesus their like vultures tearing a carcass apart it's sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Father of 5 in his 30's arrested after being discharged from hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

when was the last funeral with such an attendance from state officials? John Hume?

Just thinking of this show last night, again. It really was disgraceful.

Having a picture of Ashling on the screen while talking about womens refuges, domestic violence, mother and baby homes, women not being paid as much as men etc. It would make you sick.

For all anyone knew last night, the murderer could be someone who's mentally unstable who had a psychotic episode, who was failed by mental health services in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The worst part was where the glamour model spoke about the time she saw a man in a petrol station masturbating in his car...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What is to say the man didn't have a copy of the Gay Times on the dash that he was focussed on, he may have had zero interest in the female species.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Exactly, or often a malteser will fall down your crotch and cause untoward material and reputational damage should it melt before you wrangle it out.

Such are the realities that need a clause at least in the new watershed legislation.

You can't say Dat

You Can't Say Dat

You Can't Say Dat

So to speak 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Zero Tolerance, he should have had his balls choped off on the spot.

No questions asked, just do it to protect society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,899 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I've said it somewhere else, but maybe he was just having problems with his seatbelt. I know I've been rooting down there many times trying to get the f*cking things to lock.

Advertisement